When did you notice the inches coming off the most?

Options
batorkin
batorkin Posts: 281 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Today marks my 30th pound loss, and I moved out of the obese BMI category. I've lost 2.5 inches on my thighs, 3.5 inches around my chest, and 3 inches on my gut. I got all new clothes but I still don't notice any changes in appearance, and have yet to receive any comments. I think this may be due to my tall height of 6'1'.

I still have another 43 pounds to lose before I reach my goal, but to my eyes I am no where near the halfway mark. The body fat calculators claim I am still around 29% body fat as a male and I'd like to be <15%. I set my goal as 180, but realistically I think I'll need to get down to 160-170 which seems low for my height. I still had a 40" gut when I weighed only 188 and according to the BF% calculator that's MORE body fat than I have now at 223 and 42" gut. Really confusing.

I was told by my doctor the less you have to loose, the bigger difference a single pound makes. "You'll notice the last 20 pounds way more than the first 50."

Any truth to this? Did you notice the inches coming off more at the start, middle, end, or evenly throughout your weight loss journey?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes, there is some truth to your doctor's statement.

I didn't really see much until I was down to the last few pounds as I carry most of my weight in my abdomen and that was the last to go.

Keep at it, all your work will make a difference, it just takes longer to see on some people than it does on others.

If you are not exercising at the moment, trying to get in some cardio and resistance work (lifting if possible) will improve your health and body composition.

Cheers, h.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes, there is some truth to your doctor's statement.

I didn't really see much until I was down to the last few pounds as I carry most of my weight in my abdomen and that was the last to go.

Keep at it, all your work will make a difference, it just takes longer to see on some people than it does on others.

If you are not exercising at the moment, trying to get in some cardio and resistance work (lifting if possible) will improve your health and body composition.

Cheers, h.

So basically, online body fat calculators are very inaccurate... since I seem to lose my gut last (seems most people are that way), my body fat % actually goes UP as I lose weight according to them. That seems really silly.

I exercise 6 days/week, usually about 2 miles of cardio, plus resistance training every other day, and lifting 2 times a week.
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I like the paper towel roll analogy.., you take a sheet from the outside and hardly notice, but it goes down faster the closer you get to the tube. I’m sure someone can do a WAY better job of explaining it than me.

I've heard of it and it makes a lot of sense to me. To lose an inch with a 42" gut, it *should* take a lot more fat loss than to lose an inch at 36" gut. I still feel really big at 223, so I am hoping I start seeing some of that analogy soon.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I think of body fat calculators as a really rough estimate.
    My scale gives me 19.7, on line, depending on site used, anywhere between 18-24, and visually I think I am probably 22-24.

If you want to use an on line bf estimator find one with the most points to measure and stick to it throughout your weight loss. It may not be accurate but it will show you your trend.

Unless you can afford a bod pod or some other test on a regular basis, going by visual is as good as anything.
    I just looked for the measurements slowly going down.

Glad you are getting in some exercise.

Cheers, h.