5:2 diet

Options
2»

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I really dont consider it a diet, otherwise i would be going around saying im doing the CICO diet.. which ultimately is ridiculous.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing the "CICO diet" (CICO applies for weight loss, weight gain, and maintenance), but I am (well, after Christmas I might be again) "dieting" so long as I'm trying to lose weight, even if I'm just eating the same foods as at maintenance. When I lost my 95 lbs, I was dieting, even though I was eating the same foods I do when not dieting (just less of them).

Some people find that doing 5:2 naturally causes them to eat less and lose, so in that sense it's a way to diet. Others use it as a way to reduce calories (eat at maintenance for 5 days and 500 cal for 2 -- if done that way it's inherently a diet), and they are dieting using 5:2 just as someone might be dieting by logging or dieting by eating less, moving more, or dieting by just counting calories.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    yeah.. i dunno.. in my view a diet is about food itself, not the method used to consume it for weight management.

i mean.. what does one call someone who eats everything within their calories? Would you say you are following the everything diet using the 5:2 method?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I did that, I said I was dieting or on a diet. (Or eating at a deficit or trying to lose weight or eating less/moving more or, jokingly, on the ELMM diet.)
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Lol i guess its all really semantics i suppose..

That and IF is kind of rubbing me like keto lately.. lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes it's a weight loss diet - that's precisely what it's designed to be. The website and the book are called the Fastdiet. i.e. a diet that includes fasting.

Unlike other forms of IF that can be done while maintaining or gaining weight you can only lose weight with 5:2.

OP
    I did 5:2 to lose my excess weight and found it was a great help in making adherence to a moderate weekly calorie deficit easier. That isn't going to be the case for everyone. Some people hate it, some people shouldn't even consider it.

Every day deficit bores and frustrates me but the thought "it's only for today" made it easy to stick to.

It also supported a heavy exercise routine very well as the majority of time you are training fully fuelled.
    I also found the transition to maintenance very easy as you have been eating at maintenance levels 5 days a week already.

• emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of 5:2 before, however I have heard of intermittent fasting. This whole post is very interesting. I am going to look further into the benefits of this.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    emjay6x3 wrote: »
    I have never heard of 5:2 before, however I have heard of intermittent fasting. This whole post is very interesting. I am going to look further into the benefits of this.

Its the same thing.. just different set up.. instead of hours per day to eat, its just different days..
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @emjay6x3
    Have a look at https://thefastdiet.co.uk/

Although I liked it as an eating pattern please read some of the claims beyond creating a calorie deficit with a pinch of salt - there's some cherry picking of research and leaping to conclusions by taking findings out of context.

Some really nice recipes though, high nutrition/high taste/low calorie that could be useful to people however they choose to allocate their calorie allowance. It challenges your imagination and cooking skills when you have a small calorie allowance to play with.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 16:8 and so far like it. I hate doing small meals throughout the day- and like that I can have a bigger lunch and dinner and even treats. I’m hungry this morning but break fast in a few hours.
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great things about the MFP community, and the constant bickering about intermittent fasting in terms of semantics is not one of them.

OP: If 5:2 protocol makes creating a caloric deficit easier for you, then it's a great idea! Keep in mind that the more extreme IF protocols can be a bit tougher on women than on men, so keep an eye on yourself. If you are having a harder time sleeping or find that you monthly cycle is becoming less regular, it could be a sign that 16:8 works better for you.

I have been doing 16:8 for about six months now and while it's not a magic wand, I do think that it helps me stay in a caloric deficit. Before I tracked my weight and my calories I was asked by a relative if I lost weight...I might have lost 10 lbs at most (probably less!!!) without tracking calories the first 3 months. Now that I track calories I cannot believe how much I had been eating with "three square meals": probably around 300 for breakfast, 500-600 for lunch, and 1000-2000 for dinner! I'm still eating one larger meal a day because I am still somewhat addicted to that "full" feeling, so I try for 300-400 cals for meal one, and 800-1000 cals for meal two. Personally, I don't miss snacking that much so I just don't do it. The closest I get to snacking is splitting my first meal into smaller bits I eat throughout my window.
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @emjay6x3
    Have a look at https://thefastdiet.co.uk/

Although I liked it as an eating pattern please read some of the claims beyond creating a calorie deficit with a pinch of salt - there's some cherry picking of research and leaping to conclusions by taking findings out of context.

Some really nice recipes though, high nutrition/high taste/low calorie that could be useful to people however they choose to allocate their calorie allowance. It challenges your imagination and cooking skills when you have a small calorie allowance to play with.

Thank you so much! Sorry I didn't see the notification regarding your response sooner.