Vegas food

Options
My wife and I are heading to Vegas in January and I'm looking to indulge in some unique and awesome food. Obviously I'm not going to concern myself with calories but I would like to ensure the indulgences are worth it. This is my first time there and likely won't be back any time soon. We're there for 4 days.

I have a few places in mind so far. 3 burger joints that we don't have in Canada, In&Out Burger, Wahlburgers and Shake Shack. I love burgers. Others include Le Thai and likely Wicked Spoon buffet.

Any must eat suggestions from the more experienced Vegas foodies? Dessert spots? Vegetarian options would be awesome as wife is a veggie. :)

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’ve been to Vegas at least a dozen times and don’t recall anything I’ve ever eaten there. Use your plan, not mine >:)o:)
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Stay close to a restroom.... every time I eat something there... especially buffets...

Just keep this in mind. ;)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't think of Vegas as a place to go for culinary amazingness...the food was pretty standard imo.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're into burgers, I'd check out Bobby Flay's Burger Palace. It's right on the strip. I don't eat burgers, but my husband thought his was delicious (and he's very particular about his burger quality) and they also have a veggie burger.

If you're into Italian food, Scarpetta is my favorite place to eat in Vegas. It's always amazing. They're very vegetarian/vegan friendly, lots of options and very careful to point out which items may have meat/animal products that aren't immediately obvious.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've been to Vegas twice in the past 2 years for work trips and got treated to some very nice work dinners.

My favourite was at Lavo in the Palazzo. Real tasty Italian food. Sushi Samba (also Palazzo) was also incredibly decadent and a beautiful-looking restaurant.

I also enjoy grabbing a quick (and cheap!!!) noodle lunch at Noodle Asia in the Venetian. Nothing like a big bowl of asian broth and noodles to soothe a hangover.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bobbys Burgers is amazing for a great burger. Carbone is hands down the best Italian food in Vegas. Jean Jorges or Prime for steak. If you want seafood make sure it's coming from a high end restaurant. I don't trust seafood in the desert, but a nice place will have a it flown in daily.
    A good chain that you may or may not have near you is Yard House.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    Stay close to a restroom.... every time I eat something there... especially buffets...

Just keep this in mind. ;)

So you're saying eating out in Vegas was a crap shoot?

Yeah, it's funny NOW!! LOL! ;)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I've been to Vegas twice in the past 2 years for work trips and got treated to some very nice work dinners.

My favourite was at Lavo in the Palazzo. Real tasty Italian food. Sushi Samba (also Palazzo) was also incredibly decadent and a beautiful-looking restaurant.

I also enjoy grabbing a quick (and cheap!!!) noodle lunch at Noodle Asia in the Venetian. Nothing like a big bowl of asian broth and noodles to soothe a hangover.

SushiSamba is one of my favourites on the Strip too.

We love Javier's in the Aria as well since we do not live somewhere with a wealth of great Mexican cuisine (probably don't bother with this if you do live somewhere with amazing Mexican, but for us it's top 3 for sure.)

We also get the brunch buffet at the Wynn or Aria once a trip because both are high quality, have good seafood (my husband eats his weight in crab legs), good bottomless drink options, and incredible desserts. We are NOT buffet people but I make an exception in those cases.

Mon Ami Gabi in the Paris is our other favourite breakfast spot, especially with a patio table. Super decadent French toast.

We also always go for a Verbena cocktail in the Chandelier bar in the Cosmo, since it comes with this weird edible flower that changes your tastebuds' perception of sweet and sour temporarily.

And if you're into this sort of thing, high tea at the Mandarin Oriental is beautiful as well. But that's definitely not for everyone. I took my mom and female in-laws the day before our wedding and they loved it but I don't think my husband or father would have enjoyed it much.

• jedibeau82
    jedibeau82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. My list has gotten bigger for sure.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't recall Vegas being a food haven...but then again, I can only recall a bit of what happens when I go to Vegas...

Oh dear :o
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The burger place in the Mirage, BLT burger, has a lamb burger that is amazing. On our first trip there, my husband and I had it for lunch the afternoon we arrived and went back that same night at 2AM for another one. We have been back every trip since. It's so good. If you are into breakfast, Hash House a Go Go has some really over the top stuff. It's worth checking out. I also enjoyed Bobby Flay's Meas grill in Caesar's Palace. Other than that, I am with the others who said nothing else made a lasting impression...for whatever reason...
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Trust me when I say this.
    Lotus Of Siam. If you like Thai food it is literally the best place on earth outside Thailand for it.
    Reasonably priced, low key, not fancy. AMAZING food.

For Mexican
    Lindo Michoacan is good They have two locations in town.

Low end Mexican food, There is a taco truck at a tire shop near downtown that is worth the trip if you want street tacos. Taqueria El Buen Pastor Its off Las Vegas Blvd and Bonanza. Ive never had a bad meal here. I especially like their Tripe.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Circus Circus, in spite of being a weird, budget hotel has a pretty amazing steakhouse.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    In N Out every meal every day. <3<3
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge burger fan, and I don't remember having any especially good ones in Vegas, but I do have fond memories of the spiked shakes at LVB Burgers in the Mirage.

If you're going to do a buffet, the Wicked Spoon is definitely the one to pick. Just about everything is served in its own individual dish or ramekin or whatever, individually "plated" in the kitchen, rather than set out in huge warming trays. I remember they had (bone) marrow, which is not something you see often on a menu, much less a buffet.

I really enjoyed the chef's tasting menu at China Poblano, which like Wicked Spoon is in the Cosmopolitan.

I wasn't impressed by the burger restaurant Holstein, also in the Cosmopolitan (and their spiked shakes were pretty weak :smile:

I was going to recommend a Japanese grill and noodles place right off the Strip sidewalk in front of the Monte Carlo, but when I went searching the web for the name of it (Yusho), I discovered it closed last summer. : :'(:'( According to a Vegas paper, the chef from Yusho moved to Tao at the Venetian after Yusho closed, so maybe I'll give that a go next time I'm in Vegas.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If you're going to do a buffet, the Wicked Spoon is definitely the one to pick. Just about everything is served in its own individual dish or ramekin or whatever, individually "plated" in the kitchen, rather than set out in huge warming trays. I remember they had (bone) marrow, which is not something you see often on a menu, much less a buffet.

+1 on the Wicked Spoon. Pricey for a buffet, but probably the best (and highest quality) buffet I've ever eaten. First time I'd ever eaten bone marrow, and you don't often see buffets with things like caviar and sashimi.