IIFYM?

Options
I’ve seen a lot about the if it fits your macros diet and it sounds fine and dandy, but i want to know if it’s sustainable and if it’s going to take me 3 years to get to me goal weight. I’m about 45 lbs away from it.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight. I lost 50 pounds in about a year. How fast you can lose, depends on what BMI your goal weight is, and how strictly you stick to your calorie deficit. Eating according to your needs and preferences is always going to be the most sustainable diet. But you still have to eat less.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it wouldn't be sustainable? All it is is ensuring you meet your macro and micronutrient requirements within your calorie deficit, and being flexible enough within that to allow for treats. Worked for me, and countless others.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Why do you think it wouldn't be sustainable? All it is is ensuring you meet your macro and micronutrient requirements within your calorie deficit, and being flexible enough within that to allow for treats. Worked for me, and countless others.

And... It's not just something you do for weight loss. IIFYM applies to any goal - losing, maintaining, purposefully gaining.

It promotes flexibility in food choices, but still having nutritional focus. Why would it not be sustainable?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I’ve seen a lot about the if it fits your macros diet and it sounds fine and dandy, but i want to know if it’s sustainable and if it’s going to take me 3 years to get to me goal weight. I’m about 45 lbs away from it.

why would it take 3 years to lose 45lbs?
  • dimaslopes
    dimaslopes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is NOT a diet, it's only an eating methodology
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The length of time it takes to meet your weight goal is dependent on your calorie deficit. It is possible to lose 45 lbs in a year. Just keep in mind that people often find that hitting their weight goals may not mean they hit their physique goals. It often takes additional time to hit those (and for many it becomes a lifelong endeavor.)
  • Magnum_Opus
    Magnum_Opus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The basic premise behind it is that no food is off limits so long as you hit your macros. Don't be fooled by the instagrams version of IIFYM though.. You still wanna eat nutrionally dense foods for the most part. For me I don't even worry about set carbs or fats, they fall where they fall. I ensure I get optimal protein and I'm in a calorie deficit. My carbs and fat fluctuate to where my carbs are sometimes pretty damn high, likewise fat somedays - I still lose fat nonetheless because of the calorie deficit.

Whatever you do there's no need to restrict yourself from any food in order to lose weight.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I've been using IIFYM for a while now. You still eat the same amount of calories. You just use those calories in different ways. I lost while doing IIFYM just as fast as I lost not doing IIFYM.