Post operative advice

Options
I have recently had an op on my shoulder. My weight has gone up as I am scared to exercise. I am also eating more as hungry all the time. Any advice ??

Replies

• trigger2391
    trigger2391 Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Two big tools are documentation. Write what and when your snacking and look for patterns. Another big thing is you can be thirsty but your brain thinks hungry instead.

When you want food get a drink and if still hungry fifteen minutes later then get a feed
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have recently had an op on my shoulder. My weight has gone up as I am scared to exercise. I am also eating more as hungry all the time. Any advice ??

eat at maintenance while your shoulder heals.
  • amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Alison, until your doctor recommends otherwise, I would suggest you continue resting, even if your weight starts to go up. As others have suggested, to manage weight while you are healing you can cut back on your 'intake' calories, because your body will be burning less as you refrain from exercise. Your doctor will let you know when it's okay to start back up on fitness, and may even recommend physical therapy.

Some questions you can ask yourself to help cut down on calories: Do you really feel hungry, or do you eat while you are bored? Distract yourself! Try chewing gum or making tea instead. Do you tend to "graze" while doing something else, like answering emails or watching TV? Make sure you only eat when you're actually hungry - at meals or designated snack times. Are you eating junk food or high-calorie options where you could eat a healthier alternative? Try popcorn instead of chips or pretzels, fruit instead of dessert, or lean cuts & healthy preparations of meat instead of fried foods. Finally, have you cut out all sugary drinks? Try not to drink your calories!

I had a big surgery two years ago, and I started going on walks with my brother to get me used to fitness again. I could only go short distances, and was slow as molasses! Don't beat yourself up if you feel weak or out of shape once you get back at it. It's expected that you will lose muscle tone, and it will take a while to get back into the grove of things. The most important thing is giving your body time to safely heal.

I went on walks for a month at least after my doctor had cleared me for excercise, slowly building up to more distance and 'speed' (don't try to run or jump, trust me lol) and I probably didn't try anything in the gym until 3 months out. Listen to your body, if you are in pain, stop, take a break, and slow down.

Best wishes for your recovery!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Can your doctor refer you to a physical therapist? That person would be able to help you learn some gentle exercises to try for awhile to build up strength and range of motion. It would also help you overcome any concerns you have that you'll hurt yourself.
  • happyfitr2d2
    happyfitr2d2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had both hips totally replaced one year ago. The pain meds and boredom do make you hungry. I made sure to have healthier things to nibble on. You must do everything your dr. says and physical therapy has helped me the most. I stiill do it.
    I had a minor procedure today and see how much you must be going through just by taking it easy for one day. We are so used to being active, but you do need to rest to heal. Good luck with your shoulder !