For disabled seniors

Options
My husband and I are both dieting using Nutrisystem for a while to learn and then are trying to learn to flex our way into full time dieting using those principles but without paying for their expensive foods.

I have am issue/question because of our disabilities - we need to lower our total calorie count because we are unable to do exercise at any near a cardio rate. We can only stand 5 minutes at a time. We both have bad backs and I have MS; my husband CHF and diabetes. Now lowering our rate may help keep some of these from getting worse but to some extent it just is what it is.

So any suggestions of how to log the little we can do when we get up off the couch and move around to the best of our ability? Like for instance, I can be up for maybe 10-15 minutes doing housework with a back brace on and extra meds before I have to sit. I'd like to try doing some upper arm exercises with 2 pound weights (best I can currently do) and maybe get on our treadmill with the backbrace on but the best I've ever been able to get up to is . 7 mph for 4-5 minutes. I'd also like to inlude PT exercise. It's not much but it's better than nothing. How can I log these meager efforts?

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Jeane.. you can create a category in the exercise section and just call it what you want and log the times manually.

Also there is a website and tv show called "SIT AND BE FIT" ... lots of exercises for those with disabilities and/or who can't stand for long periods, combines cardio and strength training as well while sitting... there are free videos on youtube but google the site and it may be of some help... congrats to both you and your hubby for taking these steps towards better health.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I am 65 and disabled due to blocked leg arteries, blood clot and three herniated discs with edema and sciatica. When I first started here I could only walk 3 minutes on the treadmill and outside at .7mph. I added a few minutes every other day and increased my speed every week. I now am at 2.5mph for 32 more minutes on a good day. 15 on a bad day. Do what you can and use ice after any exercise. I wish you both the best!