Share Supplement Stack And Timing - So we can share knowledge and Usefulness of Supplement !!!!!!!!

Options
Hi All,
I thought it will be a good idea to share what Supplement stack we are using and the timing.It might help to know if we are doing anything wrong or we can improve on something just by changing the timing.

Whey Protein - I scoop empty Stomach in Morning ;Another one in oats (Post Workout meal{Workout timing 9am})
Multivitamin and Fish oil : after Lunch
Creating and BCAA - Post Workout
ashwagandha & tribulus terrestris : Before Sleep.

Thinking to start beta alanine, citrulline malate and Caffeine pill as pre workout.

This is something I started recently only and I hope this is not too much .All inputs and discussion are Welcomed !!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use whey on occasion... mostly to cook with and I drink caffeine. I plan on taking creatine again once I stop seeing noob gains to see if there are any benefits. But last time it gave me stomach cramping, so I will have to see if that is an issue.

But like niner mention, most supplements aren't worth a crap, but some can improve performance (creatine) under certain circumstances.

Beta-Alanine is beneficial for recovery, but only if you do a lot of high volume work (i.e., lifting 15+ reps often). BCAA's are crap. Fish oil (in the right dosage) can be beneficial for improving triglycerides (food would supercede supplementation) and a multivitamin can help address any deficiencies (good safety precaution).

https://examine.com/supplements/fish-oil/

Before you really take anything, I'd take a look at examine.com
  • ashu0015
    ashu0015 Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you are eating correctly, then the MAJORITY of supplements are a waste. The issue with the fitness and diet industry is the advertising of supplements and the broscience behind them because of the money it can generate. Once you meet the daily values you need, you DON'T get credit for consuming more. In some cases it can become problematic for the body.
    Also, most supplements don't have a lot of purity, meaning because of how cheaply they are made, they may contain ingredients that aren't even on the label. Hence many amateur athletes get busted for illegal substances when in fact they honestly may not have taken any at all. Since supplements are not regulated by the FDA, supplement companies don't go through stringent assessments.
    IMO, you can dump the BCAA's, ashwagandha and tribulus. No need to add the beta alanine and citrulline. Caffeine is fine as a boost.
    The BEST way to improve your body is through the workouts, not from loading up on supplements that only attribute to about 1% of your overall improvement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Honestly I do agree with everything you said, but I do get some motivation when I take Bcaa or Pre workouts .Since I ingest them it gives an impression that I have to go to the gym now.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I use whey on occasion... mostly to cook with and I drink caffeine. I plan on taking creatine again once I stop seeing noob gains to see if there are any benefits. But last time it gave me stomach cramping, so I will have to see if that is an issue.

But like niner mention, most supplements aren't worth a crap, but some can improve performance (creatine) under certain circumstances.

Beta-Alanine is beneficial for recovery, but only if you do a lot of high volume work (i.e., lifting 15+ reps often). BCAA's are crap. Fish oil (in the right dosage) can be beneficial for improving triglycerides (food would supercede supplementation) and a multivitamin can help address any deficiencies (good safety precaution).

https://examine.com/supplements/fish-oil/

Before you really take anything, I'd take a look at examine.com

1. Second the recommendation for examine.com
    2. recommend roll your own supps vs branded C4/Jym/etc they're often underdosed, and according to labdoor.com, often not dosed as labeled.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ashu0015 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you are eating correctly, then the MAJORITY of supplements are a waste. The issue with the fitness and diet industry is the advertising of supplements and the broscience behind them because of the money it can generate. Once you meet the daily values you need, you DON'T get credit for consuming more. In some cases it can become problematic for the body.
    Also, most supplements don't have a lot of purity, meaning because of how cheaply they are made, they may contain ingredients that aren't even on the label. Hence many amateur athletes get busted for illegal substances when in fact they honestly may not have taken any at all. Since supplements are not regulated by the FDA, supplement companies don't go through stringent assessments.
    IMO, you can dump the BCAA's, ashwagandha and tribulus. No need to add the beta alanine and citrulline. Caffeine is fine as a boost.
    The BEST way to improve your body is through the workouts, not from loading up on supplements that only attribute to about 1% of your overall improvement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Honestly I do agree with everything you said, but I do get some motivation when I take Bcaa or Pre workouts .Since I ingest them it gives an impression that I have to go to the gym now.

Than switch the BCAAs for caffeine or a whey shake. At least you will get actual benefit then.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The other point I will make which is similar to niners, is that meal/supplement timing is not required (with exception of preworkout) If you get enough in your diet, there isn't really the post workout window as many think. If you ate enough protein in the 24 hours leading up to a workout, and will the 24 hours post workout, there would be no noticeable benefit from having protein first thing in the morning or right after a workout. That is majoring in the minors... in other words, spending too much time, effort, and though on something that provides less than 1% of the overall results. You would be much better served on meeting your caloric and macro goals for the day/week, and your workout structure and programming, if you max out on those benefits and still need an edge (competitive athlete or bodybuilder) that would be the time to focus on supplementation and meal/protein timing.
  • ashu0015
    ashu0015 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    The other point I will make which is similar to niners, is that meal/supplement timing is not required (with exception of preworkout) If you get enough in your diet, there isn't really the post workout window as many think. If you ate enough protein in the 24 hours leading up to a workout, and will the 24 hours post workout, there would be no noticeable benefit from having protein first thing in the morning or right after a workout. That is majoring in the minors... in other words, spending too much time, effort, and though on something that provides less than 1% of the overall results. You would be much better served on meeting your caloric and macro goals for the day/week, and your workout structure and programming, if you max out on those benefits and still need an edge (competitive athlete or bodybuilder) that would be the time to focus on supplementation and meal/protein timing.

Makes sense , as I do waste lot of time in thinking about timing and supplementation .
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I almost bought a tub of BCAA because I was chronically tired in the back, from workouts, and it's touted as good for recovery. As I'm a bit resistant to adding extra junk to my day I decided to try proper, extended stretching instead and I saved myself from the supplement. YMMV but give it a try.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Supplement stack?

The term "stack" is a term from steroid users. Steroids are the only stack that works magic.

You are wasting your money with what you are taking.

None of that stuff does anything (protein powders are meal supplements which has value as that).

Don't feel too bad. We all get sucked into the supplement scam at some point.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Supplement stack?

The term "stack" is a term from steroid users. Steroids are the only stack that works magic.

You are wasting your money with what you are taking.

None of that stuff does anything (protein powders are meal supplements which has value as that).

Don't feel too bad. We all get sucked into the supplement scam at some point.

Not so, Stimulant stacks are at least as effective as steroids. Possibly more so.

Of course either way there are health and legal risks.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    ashu0015 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »

Makes sense , as I do waste lot of time in thinking about timing and supplementation .

Not surprising when all the major fitness catalogs magazines constantly tout this magic pill or that magic combo. My advice is to ignore all the noise and don't over complicate things. You will still make the gains you want (assuming you are willing to work for them) and you will save money.

Good luck.