Accepting New Body

Options
So, this is something I’m struggling with. Over the last year I have lost 90 lbs. I am so use to being heavy that I don’t know how to view myself differently than I use to. I’ve always struggled with loving myself. I should feel so amazing but instead I still feel bad about myself. I’m not looking for compliments just some insight on how to accept myself as I really am now and lose my old view of myself. Or even other experiences that I could relate to. Thanks for reading, I’m always long winded, even tho I try not to be haha. Hope everyone is having a pleasant day!

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I agree with @girlwithcurls2. Physical changes can happen more quickly than your emotional adjustments. You've accomplished a lot by being disciplined. Keep acknowledging that you're a strong woman who is doing amazing things. I've experienced that same disconnect between what I can see in the mirror and how I don't give myself enough credit. I met with a counselor twice to just talk through my feelings. I found that helpful. I learned a few ways to cheer up and cheer myself on that I can use for the rest of my life. Totally worth it!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Bwing self critical is a habit many of us have, to look at ourselves - no matter what the reality may be - and still be unhappy. As if, "unhappy" and criticial is a comfortable state of being.

It is great that your recognize it is going on, and it isn't healthy..or fair.

Focus on your new health.. strength.. make yourself apprciate your new smaller fit body that gets you through life in a better way. Maybe take the focus off how your look and give your mind time to catch up to the new you and give yourself some well deserved credit. What you accomplished took a lot of hard work.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    There is somebody on here that has really good insight into this, and I can't remember who it is. @lorrpb Was it you?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! That's a huge amount of weight!
    I don't know as my insight is any better than anyone else, but I have experienced that it takes a long time for our brain to get used to the change. I think someone else here said "Psychological weight loss takes longer than physical weight loss." I just had to feed my brain with FACTS, like progress pics, jounraling, measurements, fitness progress, new clothes, etc. I had to make choices not to listen to the negative voices and celebrate the positive actual changes made. Even after 1+ year in maintenance , some days I feel good and other days I feel fat!
    Maybe you could make a fun list of everything that has changed since losing weight that supports the fact of the weight loss. Things you can do that you couldn't do before , things that fit, places you fit (like airplane seats), measurements, compliments received, etc.
  • iluvhanson
    iluvhanson Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the supportive comments and advice. I am a negative thinker so changing my thought pattern is imparative, just challenging, but necessary. I think when you feel bad about yourself for so long it becomes this way of life that is almost unstoppable, I need that encouragement. Thank you all again, I appreciate your help.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I aim to not think so much about how my body looks, and more about what it can do - which are amazing things. It allows me to work and play and dance, it willingly shed 50 pounds of fat that I had accumulated, it tells me when I can push harder, and when to take it easy. Not bad after decades of neglect and abuse.