Whale Fat

Options
So I've tried to do keto off and on and wow it's hard! I just wanted to say kudos to the people who are able to do it. I can maybe get as low as 30 carbs, but even that feels restrictive. As much as I would like to do keto, I have to say that I'm following a moderate carb diet. Is this actually easy for some people? I can't imagine it being easy unless you eat nothing but whale fat.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is no point in doing keto if you find it to be a difficult way to create a calorie deficit (unless it is helping you manage a specific medical condition). The point isn't to find the hardest way to manage your weight, the point is to find the one that feels easiest. If you find that moderate carbohydrates are the way to do that, you're not alone. Many people (including me) find it easier to manage our calorie intake eating like that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I've tried to do keto off and on and wow it's hard! I just wanted to say kudos to the people who are able to do it. I can maybe get as low as 30 carbs, but even that feels restrictive. As much as I would like to do keto, I have to say that I'm following a moderate carb diet. Is this actually easy for some people? I can't imagine it being easy unless you eat nothing but whale fat.

I'm sure keto is easy for some people...I personally can't imagine it. For one, I simply can't fathom eating that much fat...the thought of it turns my stomach. Add to that, many of my favorite foods are carbs...I love legumes, lentils, and potatoes and giving those up is pretty much a non-starter for me.

Keto isn't necessary for losing weight...keto works in the exact same way that any diet works...calorie restriction.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I love fat (peanut butter, avocados, butter, cheese...mmm I could go on and on!) but keto wouldn't work for me because I'm not willing to cut out wide swaths of other foods I also love. Eating what you like within your calorie goal will result in weight loss, too.

(Standard disclaimer: nutrition is important)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    i've lost weight easily eating high carbs. oatmeal, sweet potato, whole-grain bread, beans, lentils, brown rice and even wheat pasta.

I eat white rice and regular pasta and lose weight :smile: I'm having white rice tonight, in fact, with my chicken and broccoli takeout!
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    There is probably loads of people doing keto right now struggling with it.. and they will soon find out that the diet isn't for them either. No real loss really though.. why anyone would wanna struggle their entire weight loss makes no sense to me.. for those who can stick with it, they are keto people.. for the rest.. keto is just gonna one of those unsuccessful ventures and they will have to find another avenue to maintain a deficit without struggling
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you were given a difficult task to do at work would you try to make it easier or harder?

I wouldn't enjoy a high fat diet and it is also the least satiating macro for me, I would also hate being restricted by having to severely limit some of my favourite foods (fruit, veg, grains....).
    There are of course people people who are the diametric opposite to me.

As you've tried it and found it hard and restrictive then it's unlikely to be successful or sustainable long term. Maybe think ahead to maintenance at goal weight and eat that way right now, just in smaller portions?

Do think it's worth experimenting (eating patterns, food choices, size of deficit...) to find what works for you as you can learn from each experiment.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to do keto unless you find it LESS hard than keeping a deficit or otherwise eating in some other manner. Some people do find it such, although not me. I don't think it's inherently virtuous or better (indeed, I find I have to limit foods I think are very healthful, like vegetables, beans and lentils, fruit, and nuts to some degree vs. how I like to eat, and cut out others that I enjoy and think can be part of a healthful diet (and have some micronutrients) like whole grains, potatoes and sweet potatoes, and, sure, occasional ice cream and pie and Christmas cookies).

For some, the trade off is worth it, since it's easier for them than other ways of eating and they really enjoy that style of eating, but no reason to aspire to do it or feel like you aren't doing as much if that's not you. Make it easy on yourself by working with what works for you.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Keto works for some and is absolute hell for others. Some people are more of a carb-ivore than others and they usually find keto to be a lot harder.

Luckily for you, all you need is a calorie deficit. I lost weight fairly rapidly while existing on jelly beans, chocolates, oatmeal, fruit, chicken and roast beef. I just didn't eat too many calories.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Whale fat? Lol. I have been keto for over a year and have yet to consume whale fat!

I am beginning to think I am a weird keto person though so maybe that is my problem. I don't *drink* fat like bulletproof coffees or downing drinks with added olive oils or coconut oil. YUCK! I pretty much eat the things I love and get on with it. I am also not a keto purist. If I feel like a sweet potato I will have it and fit it into my day. I am not managing health issues with it so I probably have a wider base of foods I use than someone who does use keto for minimizing seizures or diabetes.

Some folks do well on it and others do not. As CICO is the driving mechanism for any weight loss, you do you!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I tried keto for a week and found it was expensive and very hard for me to do. I think I binged on carbs for a couple hours after the end of the week. To be fair I probably didn't try it long enough but I was doing a 20:4 IF diet where I was probably going into a little bit of ketosis daily so I don't think it should have been as hard for me as it was. I don't have a medical condition to control and my experiment was for weight loss only. It isn't for me. I like the good nutritious carbs out there and I also even eat the refined carbs pretty much daily in the evenings (desert!) during my eating window and am able to lose weight keeping my calories low with that woe with no restrictions on type of things I eat at all.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Apparently toxins are a concern in things like seal or whale blubber so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to base your diet around something like that these days even if you could get it.
    http://www.whalefacts.org/whale-blubber/
    https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/blubber/
    Just a thought for the day.

I don't follow a keto diet. It isn't necessary for me to do so.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Keto or Atkins would either one be extremely easy for me. I fight hard to get the healthy carbs in. Because I think you need ALL the vitamins. And I like fruit and veggies. Just not as much as I love meat and fat.
    People are just different.
    And I agree with others. Why fight to deprive yourself of healthy foods filled with good vitamins?
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you dont enjoy it, there's defintely no reason to try to force yourself to eat a high fat/ low carb diet. At the end of the day, calorie is the king. There really isn't a right or wrong way to create your deficit (within reason!), people generally settle into what works for them. I'm glad you find moderate carbs more enjoyable! I personally like my carbs pretty high and have to consciously try to at least hit my minimum fat requirement but I definitely dont feel bad for people that enjoy their fats :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel compelled to try a ketogenic diet OP? Is it for a medical condition or do you believe it will help with weight loss goals?

As others have said, you don't get extra credit for adhering to a diet that you don't enjoy. In my opinion, the best chance for long term succes results from finding a way of eating during weight loss that you intend to stick with for maintenance as well. For me, that meant cutting out nothing other than calories, and instead focusing on adding things to my lifestyle - more protein, more veggies, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep. That worked to prioritize those things and leave just enough room for things I enjoy like pizza, ice cream and wine in moderation.

Good luck!