Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

BPA is safe

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking a stance on the safety of BPA, but that is clearly part of a product defense strategy. Remember BP after the oil spill in the Gulf? Same idea. "There isn't a problem with our product/policies; we're just misunderstood."
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I see his blog is pretty dedicated to this subject. He’s a chemist with his name against a fair number of articles on the subject.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Any non-facebook links?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Any non-facebook links?

Any Non-Blog links?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Steven Hentges on Google Scholar. He's published.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    He's a member of the American Chemistry Council but he's not on the current leadership.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I see he's invested in BPA.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    Options
    Meh- I'll bite. I avoided it totally when trying to conceive and while pregnant, I avoid when I think about it now, and I NEVER microwave "microwave safe" plastic.

Here's a good article from sciencemag on the evolving thoughts on BPA:
    http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/bpa-safety-war-battle-over-evidence
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Frankly I think your article is better than mine.

Me, I freely use plastic food containers just because.

When I was young, I was warned about the cancerous combination of bacon and coffee.

When I was in my teens experts warned that oil reserves would be gone by the end of the decade. So I put off getting my drivers licence for far too long.

My daughter read somewhere that aluminum caused Alzheimer’s so is duly shocked by my lifestyle. I plan on keeping my marbles just to prove her wrong.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I personally am not worried about it. Even if I am being exposed to it, there are a million other chemicals I'm being exposed to just from working in an urban centre that are more harmful.

That being said, if you want to avoid it, just use plastics that are solid colour. BPA is only used in clear plastics anyway.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I've run toxicology studies and run min/max experiments on BPA for medical products and out of curiosity did this on one of our baby bottles. Even if you grind up and leech all the BPA from a bottle, IV bag, etc. it still falls well below LD/mutagen/teratogen of established guidelines. I'm not at all concerned.

Link to the MSDS form from Sigma-Aldrich:

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~choi/MSDS/Sigma-Aldrich/BISPHENOL A.pdf

The American Chemical Society has featured research on this topic several times. The consensus of research both academic and industrial was that there is and remains no physiological risk from BPA. However, they recognized when they were fighting a losing political battle.