Is being hungrier in the winter a real thing?

Options
I always feel like I’ve heard the old adage that we are hungrier in the fall and winter because our ancestors needed to pack on the pounds when food was scarce.

Is this real? I have been so hungry lately. I also read it might be because we tend to drink less water in the colder months which leads to phantom hunger.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I notice that walking around in the cold makes me a lot hungrier. I don't necessarily crave more food or have a bigger appetite (like a primal instinct?) but what I eat seems to have less staying power with my body.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's real. Evolution is a slow process and can't adapt quickly to the abundance of food that has become available to us in the last 100 years. We are still like bears preparing to hibernate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I’ve heard the old adage that we are hungrier in the fall and winter because our ancestors needed to pack on the pounds when food was scarce.

Is this real? I have been so hungry lately. I also read it might be because we tend to drink less water in the colder months which leads to phantom hunger.

Thoughts?

by that logic we would want to eat more through spring - autumn and less in winter as food was less available then...
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Seems to be. I recently joked that I must be preparing to hibernate. I want to eat All The Things.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I dunno... but for me, I'm not as busy/active (i.e. distracted) during the winter, so the lure/temptation of food is more consistent. So while I'm not any more or less hungry, I do want to eat more during the winter.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. About all I know is that heat kills my appetite, and spending all day in the cold makes me ravenous. But otherwise in relatively climate controlled situations I'm not any more or less hungry thru the seasons.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

by that logic we would want to eat more through spring - autumn and less in winter as food was less available then...

Not really. Spring to autumn when food was reasonably available, we could choose to be picky and survive. In winter those who ate whatever was available to them survived better. So there is at least some logic to eating more in the winter. So yeah, we may have eaten less, but we ate whatever we could.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't crave more food, but I do find that I can be prone to craving more "comfort" type foods than normal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I think too that the decrease in light can affect moods for a lot of people. I was reading an NIH thing yesterday about how insulin release causes tryptophan to be available to the brain which is tied to serotonin...I'm not even gonna try to explain it - but to me that means I will eat more to increase insulin to increase serotonin, maybe instinctively. It's a balancing act for me for sure in the winter, and it's only in the late October-early January part. So really, November and December. Coincidence (or not) that our ancestors gave us Holiday Food at that time. :lol:

Once the days are getting longer I don't over eat as much.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2077351/

• lar25473
    lar25473 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I notice that walking around in the cold makes me a lot hungrier. I don't necessarily crave more food or have a bigger appetite (like a primal instinct?) but what I eat seems to have less staying power with my body.

I always assumed that being cold cost a lot of calories (you know, as the body tries to heat us back up), and that made you hungry.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Yes, it's real. Evolution is a slow process and can't adapt quickly to the abundance of food that has become available to us in the last 100 years. We are still like bears preparing to hibernate.

Unfortunately, people don't have that option and if we did, and ate like bears in hyperphagia we'd almost double our body weight in the fall. That's not saying with all the snow we've had and sub zero temps coming up for the holidays it's not tempting to do just that. As for OP's question, I tend to want to eat more in the winter, especially comfort foods. We keep our thermostat at 65 during the day because it's so expensive to heat our home. I'm convinced there's a correlation between that and wanting more food. Plus I do a lot of outdoor things, hiking, snowshoeing, skiing and shoveling snow.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Our circadian systems affect our behavior and moods, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that shorter days lead to our eating more (bipolar disorders are thought to be malfunctions of the circadian rhythm systems, for example). Here's a couple of articles on research in this area:

https://www.nature.com/articles/1602346#bib6
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946724?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg
    Seasonal variations in the nutrient intakes and the meal patterns of humans were investigated by paying 315 adult humans to maintain a 7-day diary of everything they ate, when they ate it, and their subjective state of hunger. A marked seasonal rhythm of nutrient intake was observed with increased total caloric intake, especially of carbohydrate, in the fall, associated with an increase in meal size and a greater rate of eating. The subjects rated themselves hungrier at the end of the meal in the fall even though the larger meals resulted in a greater estimated amount of food in the stomach. In the winter and spring there was a strong negative relationship between the amount eaten in the meal and self-rated hunger at the end of the meal. This correlation was absent during the fall. The results suggest that even with modern heating and lighting seasonal rhythmicity of food intake persists in humans and is a major influence on eating that may act by suppressing satiety mechanisms.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    so. moar cookies?
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I feel it
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    lar25473 wrote: »

I always assumed that being cold cost a lot of calories (you know, as the body tries to heat us back up), and that made you hungry.

I've heard this too but I've never seen any legit studies that would prove it to be true or not. Although, when I'm cold, I twitch and fidget a lot more and bounce around to try to warm up. I also walk faster and brace my core and muscles against the wind. (chicago winter problems). So, I could be increasing my NEAT without realizing it.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

I've heard this too but I've never seen any legit studies that would prove it to be true or not. Although, when I'm cold, I twitch and fidget a lot more and bounce around to try to warm up. I also walk faster and brace my core and muscles against the wind. (chicago winter problems). So, I could be increasing my NEAT without realizing it.

OMG yes! Since moving to Texas from Chicago I haven’t done the brace the core - walk in the cold wind thing! I had totally forgotten that feeling!