BMI vs BF%: where is the true under/overweight marker?

Options
I hear people complain that body fat percentage is the best way to measure health.

So lets take some woman I know that is about an 18.2 BMI but is 18.5% BF. She does 70% cardio, 30% bodyweight exercises mixed with actual weights.

If she gains to 101.5lbs, she is now slightly in the normal range but hits just over 20% BF and loses all ab definition.

(BF% that is athetic is 14-20% for a woman. Below is essential fat.)

If body fat is a better marker of health, can we really say she is underweight? Would she be an outlier?

(BF measured by body fat scale and taking measurements with 1% range, for reference.)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    BMI vs BF% is a matter of apple and oranges.

BMI is associated w/but not directly correlated w/BF%. It was developed originally as a part of a mathematical study in the 1830's simply to determine the relationship between a person's height and weight.

It was only later much later accepted by the medical community in the 1990's when it was "standardized" by WHO and later adopted by NIH as a "scientifically" justified measure of obesity and one's risk for associated health problems.

BF% is just that - - a measure of the amount of BF (as measured by weight) relative to one's total body weight. It is NOT a measure of health per se.

Actual BF measurements are seldom done for medical purposes; doctors perferring to rely on simpler indicators like BMI or height to weight ratios as indicators of obesity and risk of health issues.

Attention to actual BF% seems to be more important in the fitness and bodybuilding community as a way of measuring and ranking one's appearance and "fitness" as compared w/others rather than a way to assess one's health.

Someone (male or female) w/a BMI bet 18.5 and 24.9 is considered to be of "normal" expected weight and not at any special risk for health problems due to obesity.

On the other hand, man w/a BF% of 18-20% would be considered "normal" while a women with that BF% would be considered "athletic" in appearance. However, in neither case would the BF% be used an indicator of healthiness.

So, OP, the example you use to contrasting the use of BMI vs BF% for the purpose measuring health is spurious. Only BMI is used for that purpose and, even so, there are many critics of it's validity for that use.

Well said.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Do people really think that ab definition is a health marker?

Yes, but that doesn't make it so.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    A body fat percentage of 20 is perfectly fine for a female. It tells you that this woman it fit and healthy. Having ad definition does not make you healthier, especially if you are underweight.

This. Ab definition means that you have good genes and are fairly lean. It doesn't mean that you're magically healthy.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Do people really think that ab definition is a health marker?

In the same world where thigh gaps and bikini bridges are all the rage...
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    A body fat percentage of 20 is perfectly fine for a female. It tells you that this woman it fit and healthy. Having ad definition does not make you healthier, especially if you are underweight.

It doesn't mean its the look that the person wants, though. When I've asked women I know what body they want, they point to the 15-17% body fat example on the below page:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/amp/

So at least the women around me want to be there. They want to look like the instagram models and 20% is still too "fat" for that.

And also, body fat is used as a measure of health. We judge certain risks by waist size, which is used to measure BF%. Which is part of why I asked.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    just because people want it doesnt' mean that its healthy...think back to twiggy in the 60's - people wanted to look like her....

waist size is used it very squishy measures of body fat (i.e. taping and calibers) which can have up to a 10% (IIRC) differential range