Can’t seem to maintain

I reached my GW of 125 in early November on 1300. I immediately went on vacation and gained a few lbs which quickly came off when i returned home.

I got to GW again in early Dec and put my calories up to 1550. I estimated my maintainable calories based on my rate of loss whilst on 1300.

However over the past few weeks I’ve been steadily gaining (4.5lbs) despite staying within my calories.

I’ve had a few meals out and a few heavy strength sessions but always eaten within my 1550 calories. I’m also at the TOM where I gain water weight.

My mentality is “ah well, I’ll sort it out at after New Year” but I am concerned that I don’t seem to be able to maintain and that my maintenance calories are going to be ridiculously low if I gain on 1550.

Anyone experienced something similar?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    sounds like normal fluctuations given you're at a time in your cycle when you know you gain water weight.

maintenance is a range not a number, so really most of those 4lbs should be in that range?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    sounds like normal fluctuations given you're at a time in your cycle when you know you gain water weight.

maintenance is a range not a number, so really most of those 4lbs should be in that range?

Except my TOM weight doesn’t usually last two weeks. But I think you’re right, it’s a combination of things.

My maintenance range is meant to be 120-125 but as of this morning I’m at 129.2
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Except my TOM weight doesn’t usually last two weeks. But I think you’re right, it’s a combination of things.

TBH if it was any other time of year i would say knock 100 cals off and tighten up your logging, as i know for me i can get a bit lax with my logging and it stops the scales moving, but given that its Christmas on Monday if it was me i would probably not worry about it too much till Jan. unless of course its bothering you and making you feel uncomfortable?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Its likely its just fluctuations, keep an eye on how your weight goes for say another 4 weeks, although with the festive period and extra eating that will factor in. We do fluctuate a lot naturally, goodness my weight can bounce up 3lbs for a few days after having a chinese takeaway e.g, and during TOM it can go up by 2lbs. Set yourself a weight range of +/-5lbs e.g.

Get to know your fluctuations, trend your weight using a weight app for example and that way you will be more confident in your ability to maintain.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    @GrumpyHeadmistress Your story is my story. After a year and a half of losses, reaching my "dream" goal weight of 129ish a year ago, I went to Hawaii in May to reward myself, gained 3 pounds and since then I'm up another 4. I'm struggling to find the right balance right now. I know I can do it, but it has been extremely frustrating. Reading the responses to your inquiry will help me as well. There are several factors I can point to that has hampered my progress: I haven't been weight training, my logging got a little lax, and when the weather started getting really crappy I cut down on my hiking. With sub zero temps forecast for the next few days I know I just need to be diligent about what I'm eating (and drinking) over the holidays. Hang in there, we got this!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    @GrumpyHeadmistress Your story is my story. After a year and a half of losses, reaching my "dream" goal weight of 129ish a year ago, I went to Hawaii in May to reward myself, gained 3 pounds and since then I'm up another 4. I'm struggling to find the right balance right now. I know I can do it, but it has been extremely frustrating. Reading the responses to your inquiry will help me as well. There are several factors I can point to that has hampered my progress: I haven't been weight training, my logging got a little lax, and when the weather started getting really crappy I cut down on my hiking. With sub zero temps forecast for the next few days I know I just need to be diligent about what I'm eating (and drinking) over the holidays. Hang in there, we got this!

Glad I’m not the only one! I’ll start again after Christmas and stick to “maintenance” in the meantime.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress

Keep in mind that it is normal and common to gain three to four pounds after coming out of a deficit -- that's your body rebuilding glycogen stores, food weight, etc.

So if you want that 120 starting weight, that means you really need to get down to 116/115 or so before entering maintenance, with the understanding that you're going to settle out closer to 120. It doesn't mean that you did anything wrong. It's just nature of being a human being who went from a deficit to maintenance.

I may be rubbish at maintaining but I was good at losing so I’ll use 115lbs as my target for my next go at maintenance.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    That’s pretty much how maintenance rolls for me....up 4, down 2, up1 down 3. Over months and months it evens out. Would be much easier if the scale just said the same thing every day.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    How often do you track your weight? I do daily because with more frequent data points, I can tell the difference between a spike and fall vs a trend up or down at lot easier.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,899 Member
    This post makes me feel much better. I've experienced the same thing and was also wondering how to deal with it. Thanks for all your suggestions :)
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    How often do you track your weight? I do daily because with more frequent data points, I can tell the difference between a spike and fall vs a trend up or down at lot easier.

I vary but as I’m gaining so much recently I’m weighing daily and using HappyScale