Sabotage!

Options
Why oh why can I not do this? It's like I go through phases:

1. Get in shape, track calories, lose weight!
2. Stress = over eat and sleep and laze around
3. Guilt, messed up, nothing will change
4. GAIN weight.

I know this is my pattern. When I first joined MyFitness over two years ago, I weighed 220 pounds, then I lost 15 pounds, then I gained 45 pounds. Now I'm at 250 pounds.

That alone makes me want just hate myself. Because, then the reasoning is, "I have to lose 30 pounds just to get back where I started." Which makes me mad at myself... mad at myself makes me upset.. makes me stressed and we start again from step 2.

HELP!

Replies

• JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! you just gotta make the little changes. you need to start thinking more positive, start thinking of reasons why you can do it or you want to do it. maybe a sport or activity that youd like to get into? something to work towards is extreamly helpful.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its important to try to change the way you look at food. Its not a reward, it doesnt bring you comfort, its for nourishment for your body. When you are stressed find something else to do besides eat. You can do it, its just changing your views on somethings. I know lots of people here can be supportive and help if you need anything or any advice. Just stick with it.
  • MaryBethD
    MaryBethD Posts: 13
    Options
    I have had this same problem for years. This is why I am no longer “dieting”. Instead of just watching my calories, I am re-learning how to eat. Diets do not work for me. The only thing that will, is a lifestyle change. I have been finding alternatives to food that I love, like Turkey Bacon BLT’s, Fat Free cheese Quesadillas, low Fat “fried” Chicken, and baked or broiled instead of fried fish. I have only lost 6 lbs since I started but it’s only been a week in a half. Eating healthy needs to become what I do on a daily basis, or I will stay fat forever :(
  • apexmomof5
    apexmomof5 Posts: 16
    Options
    It's OK - fall off the horse - get back on. Every day is a fresh start - you get a whole new day to start over and it's never too late. I managed to keep off 40 lbs for 10 years and found that as long as I walked 30 min per day, ate a decent breakfast, and try to only eat 1 bad food at a sitting (ie., instead of burger + fries + soft drink, pick one) it's possible to maintain. Most important lesson though, forgive yourself for setbacks and keep going.

You can do it - good luck!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Since stress seems to be the trigger for the the rest of the problems, maybe try to deal with your stress differently. Instead of eating, go for a 15 minute walk and have a glass of water. Sounds crazy, but if you get your stress out then you won't overeat because of it. When you have the munchies, chew gum. Don't keep treats in the house! You need to make sure that you have to make a decision to buy and eat them rather than just having to reach them because it's easy and it's there. All these things make staying on track much easier.

Good luck!

PS- don't feel guilty, its just food! The next morning have a high fiber/high protein breakfast and everything will balance out in the end.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    This is the danger of dieting as opposed to lifestyle change! You lose some wait, but then you gain back more!

But, don't be discouraged! You can definitely do it! I recommend not overdoing it -- while it is tempting to push hard on your diet and workout routine at first, because you get to just watch the pounds melt off, it's better to do something that you can maintain in your daily life.

Good luck! We all believe in you!
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    when i first started, i also would tell myself a lot "don't sacrifice what you want MOST for what you want at the MOMENT."

it helps me to see more long-term, to remember that i don't have to eat one of the office donuts that has been staring me down all day. there will be other days with other donuts, days when I have the extra calories to eat a donut. but today is not that day.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    You can do this....

1st thing: simply my opinion, is work on the "reasons" for emotional eating etc....When losing weight, i am learning, that in order to maintain, you have to deal with the hidden issues that are causing you to turn to food for comfort.

mine was feelings of inadequacy and fear of loneliness....

and now that I am focusing and dealing with those hidden issues I am finding that the urges to turn to food in those trying times are not as strong as they use to be and I am actually able to overcome them now.....

2ndly, i avoid all "diets"....i have realized that in order to maintain and lose in a healthy way, i have to not diet but just make better choices...I eat foods I like, i just proportion them and I dont overeat...and the foods that I can live without, like dr pepper and oreos, i stay away from regardless if I like them or not....
  • carrotstick
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for the words of support and advice! Here we go again, but this time, lifestyle change :)
  • MaryBethD
    MaryBethD Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for the words of support and advice! Here we go again, but this time, lifestyle change :)

LOVE IT!
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    when i first started, i also would tell myself a lot "don't sacrifice what you want MOST for what you want at the MOMENT."

it helps me to see more long-term, to remember that i don't have to eat one of the office donuts that has been staring me down all day. there will be other days with other donuts, days when I have the extra calories to eat a donut. but today is not that day.

I like that quote. I'm going to borrow it!
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I love your quote about your mind and limitations that is too funny
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it posted twice but I will add to the op I am going through a similar situation. After reaching my goal weigh I went through a very stressful situation and the eating commenced and now instead of maintaining I have close to 50lbs to lose.