Going out (Wine, Scotch, Beer)

Options
I'm gonna be honest that I do enjoy a sip from time to time. Ever since I began my weight loss journey, I logged every drink and limited them to about 2 per outing.

I did go to a big party about about three weeks ago, and had about 6 or 7 drinks. I did prep during the day by training more and eating less, and my net calories remained under my goal.

Understanding that this is not the best course of action, what do you guys think, and have you experienced anything similar?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it, especially if it's not a regular occurrence. You have to balance the things you enjoy and living life with your long term health/weight/fitness goals. Sounds like that's what you're doing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I drank when I was losing weight. As long as I logged my drinks and still met my calorie goal, I was fine.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like chocolate, some people like wine. If you can make it fit into your calories then it shouldn't hinder your weight loss. Just make sure you are being honest with yourself and tracking everything.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    You'll still lose weight even with the drinking as long as it fits within your calorie limits. Many of us will 'stash' calories away if we know that we'll be indulging at some point. Nothing wrong with it.

Also, even without the pre-planning, one bad night here or there won't make a difference. Forget about it and get right back on the horse.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I like Prosecco... 95 cals a glass :drinker:
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    You can do that. I do that sometimes. I drink much LESS since I started to count calories anyway, but that doesn't mean I quit drinking altogether, and there have definitely been a few occasions when I planned ahead for it. (And wound up over my calories, anyway).
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Drinking is fine crack on.log it

CICO

My only worry is it makes me have the munchies
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    It's no better or worse for someone to do during weight loss than at any other time, unless one does it so often/much that it regularly drives essential nutrition out of one's life in order to keep a calorie deficit. If the latter happens, the person would still lose weight, but it would be pretty unhealthy.

I drank sometimes during weight loss (not daily and rarely a large amount, but not super rare, either). Now, nearing the end of year 2 in maintenance, I drink a little more often because the calorie level allows more treats of all types without sacrificing nutrition.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I drink regularly (and log everything as best as possible) and have actually noticed slightly faster weight-loss than expected over the last year. Alcohol calories are weird and don't act like calories from other sources - see the links below. But watch out for the drunk munchies. That was my downfall.

https://muscleevo.net/alcohol-weight-loss/
    http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/04/health/why-the-body-may-waste-the-calories-from-alcohol.html
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I always make sure to have gum with me, in an attempt to be prepared for the munchies. It doesn't always keep me from eating, but it helps.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Infused vodka is wonderful in so many ways, not the least of those is that it's low-calorie (relatively speaking). Two shots of pineapple vodka with coconut-flavored Skinny Syrup mixed with lemon-flavored sparkling water? Perfect ending to a day and under 140 calories.
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Alright, some data for you. I went out with friends and finished a bottle and a half of white wine last night. At my weigh in this morning I only gained 0.2lbs. I'm going to chalk this up as a win.

Here was my recipe:
    Yesterday, I woke up and had Bacon, Eggs, Toast, and a Clementine for breakfast. With coffee of course.
    Then I went for a run +/-30 min.
    Then chores around the house (I'm a shift worker and yesterday was my Saturday)
    Ate my home cooked Shanghai Noodles with peanuts sauce.
    Went to the gym and lifted for an hour.
    Protein Shake.
    Over 2L of water throughout the day.
    By 5 pm I was ready.
    The 1L of wine I drank I logged into MFP and I added an extra 1000 cal manually for the snacks we had.
    Hit the bed around 2am, and woke up today at 10am 0.2 lbs more than yesterday's weigh in.

I do not condone heavy drinking, but if you do, I think it can be mitigated with good preparation. This is the second time I've planned ahead for a party in the last month using MFP.

Thank you to MFP and you guys in the community for your support.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're happy, but next day is too soon to assess the effect. It's not that simple.

The alcohol may've fully metabolized (because it's prioritized), but full effects of hydration, eating, and exercise (especially lifting) haven't sorted themselves.

Digestive system transit takes up to 50-some hours. Exercise burn includes muscle repair, among other delayed effects.

Calorie deficit over time is what matters, truly. I suspect you are fine, but next day weight is not clear evidence, sadly.