3 day fast

Options
joshhansen360
joshhansen360 Posts: 24 Member
This is my very first fast I was hoping someone in here had some experience with it and could give me some pointers about not losing muscle during this period

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why are you fasting? Is there some benefit you're hoping to get from it?

... I'd suggest not doing it, and providing your body with nutrients rather than starving yourself for 3 days.
  • joshhansen360
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I wanted to fast to help cut fat. also I am trying to help clear out my digestive system.I plan to do intermittent fasting after I get done with the 3-day fast. Before this I have followed a very strict diet. Clean carbs lots of fiber low-fat high protein diet staying right around 2,200 calories a day. I train with a lot of intensity 5 days a week I have been at it for about a month now.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I wanted to fast to help cut fat. also I am trying to help clear out my digestive system.I plan to do intermittent fasting after I get done with the 3-day fast. Before this I have followed a very strict diet. Clean carbs lots of fiber low-fat high protein diet staying right around 2,200 calories a day. I train with a lot of intensity 5 days a week I have been at it for about a month now.

Being in a deficit makes you lose fat. Your body clears out your digestive system - if you're blocked up it's probably due to your high fibre, low fat diet.

Total calories are what matter for weight loss, not meal timing. If IF works for you, great, but it's not going to improve your fat loss (I do it too, it works with my schedule and how I like to eat)
  • joshhansen360
    Options
    I appreciate the advice insight and input thank you.
  • nvbluesky
    nvbluesky Posts: 28 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    IF or fasts of longer duration works best for muscle preservation if you are already Keto adapted....in other words, being in ketosis through the adaptation phase roughly 2 weeks minimum. Then you have cleared any glycogen stores and are running as a true fat burner. It’s in this state that you have higher levels of growth hormone to your benefit to prevent muscle loss, plus the added benefit of autophagy, where the body does some great housecleaning...old cells, wastes, etc. Doing fasts while still being a sugar burner won’t produce the same benefit.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    uspmatch45 wrote: »
    I have personally increased muscle size (natural release of HGH) and lost fat while water only fasting. I also workout while fasted and have only gained strength.

I have done as many as 5 days. I think it is extremely beneficial to healing, overall health and body composition in my experience. I commend anyone giving this a shot! I currently do daily intermittent fasting, but always incorporate a 72hr at least once a month. Incredible results.

How do you know you have lost actual fat? How is this fat loss measured?
  • uspmatch45
    uspmatch45 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My friend owns a med spa, so I get to use the BodPod for free whenever I want. I have Hydrostatic Weighing in the past as well b/c I didn't trust the calipers.
    I used to workout 6 days a week and be on crazy calorie deficit diets eating 6 meals a day, but now only work out 3-4 days max, eat 2 meals a day, and yet I have gained more muscle and look just as lean. I found it odd in the beginning until I read Dr. Berardi's study in which he got to 4% body fat while gaining weight (muscle): http://danjohn.net/wp-content/uploads/Intermittent-Fasting_Precision-Nutrition.pdf
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    uspmatch45 wrote: »
    My friend owns a med spa, so I get to use the BodPod for free whenever I want. I have Hydrostatic Weighing in the past as well b/c I didn't trust the calipers.
    I used to workout 6 days a week and be on crazy calorie deficit diets eating 6 meals a day, but now only work out 3-4 days max, eat 2 meals a day, and yet I have gained more muscle and look just as lean. I found it odd in the beginning until I read Dr. Berardi's study in which he got to 4% body fat while gaining weight (muscle): http://danjohn.net/wp-content/uploads/Intermittent-Fasting_Precision-Nutrition.pdf

Are you in a calorie deficit or in a slight calorie surplus to get your muscle gain?