Good Sound Nutrition?

Options
Ann262
Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
Does anyone have a recommendation for a book or resource to learn about good solid nutrition? I am 57 and over the years, I have fallen into many nutrition "fads". Diet pills and slim fast to "Fit for Life" (because a couple with no education in nutrition decided they could sell books convince us that how we combine our food makes a difference. :D ), to "Fat Free" to "high fat" Atkins to Low Carb "south Beach". I have passed on the Paleo, Whole30 (I find it really hard to believe that legumes are the enemy) and Keto "diets" because they...like all the rest....demonize some food group.

I have seen many people lose weight on all of the above and say they felt great on them. Of course they felt great because while they were doing it, they were eating vegetables instead of chips and cookies. BUT, I have never seen one single person stick with them for life. Why? because, gee, one day they wanted a sandwich with real bread. Diet blown, never got back to it.

Here's the thing. There is no Magic Bullet. All of us..our bodies...are as unique as we are. We all have, at least slightly, different nutritional needs. I have ZERO interest in a "diet" that demonizes a food group or creates some kind of chemical imbalance in my body that might speed up weight loss so that if I eat one "m*m" I have screwed it all up.

Food and foods I would call "garbage foods" and treats are just so plentiful we humans have to develop self control to avoid being fat. I gained 30 pounds because I stopped exercising regularly, started eating pizza and french fries for lunch, and developed a serious chocolate candy habit in the afternoon at my desk. I did not gain 30 pounds because legumes or carbs (in general)

I want to understand how different foods feed and nourish my body. Humans are not supposed to walk around hungry. In fact, hunger (true hunger vs. craving or emotional habit eating) is our body's way of telling us we need to eat! I truly believe that, proper nourishment is the best way to stave off cravings.

I am convinced that if I nourish my body properly (that does also mean not over-eating), I will feel good and my body will naturally reach its ideal weight. Exercise is important too.

While I would LOVE to weigh in one month today 30 pounds lighter, that is just not going to happen if done in a healthy way.

Anyone know any good resources for good sound nutrition?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This book: Clinical Nutrition For Dummies (For Dummies Series)
    And this book: Nutrition: Understanding The Basics: Nutrition 101, Healthy Eating and Weight Loss - Lose Weight and Feel Great!
  • Ann262
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Ann262
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    This book: Clinical Nutrition For Dummies (For Dummies Series)
    And this book: Nutrition: Understanding The Basics: Nutrition 101, Healthy Eating and Weight Loss - Lose Weight and Feel Great!

Why Clinical Nutrition for Dummies vs. Nutrition for Dummies? There are two books.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Any similar book would work for you. I just copy / pasted. Sorry --
    it depends on what you are looking for.

I realized after I posted that this one says 2016 --- so it would be more up to date I believe:
    Nutrition For Dummies Paperback – April 25, 2016
    by Carol Ann Rinzler (Author)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you'll work yourself up more and be more confused with more books. You already know what to eat more of and what to eat less of. A healthy diet is varied and balanced, and humans can thrive on a wide range of diets. What you need now, is to build confidence and trust and aim to enjoy your food, responsibly - feeding yourself with food you like, enough, but not too much.
  • Ann262
    Options
    I think you'll work yourself up more and be more confused with more books. You already know what to eat more of and what to eat less of. A healthy diet is varied and balanced, and humans can thrive on a wide range of diets. What you need now, is to build confidence and trust and aim to enjoy your food, responsibly - feeding yourself with food you like, enough, but not too much.

Good point!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    This website and the other resources there is an excellent place to start: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

I would agree it's largely common sense and things you already know, though.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Diet Cults by Matt Fitzgerald - Common sense approach.

And I plan to read The Bad Food Bible by Aaron Carroll soon. Based on his articles and podcasts I'd say this will be a great source of accurate information.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This website and the other resources there is an excellent place to start: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

I would agree it's largely common sense and things you already know, though.

Agree, this would be my recommendation as well.
  • Ann262
    Options
    Thanks! Likely mostly what I already know but sometimes doing some reading is a good reminder..good inspiration.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, with all the crazy stuff you hear or read about diet, I think it's good to be reinforced on the basics.

I enjoyed this article: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    A college nutrition class helped me.
  • Ann262
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yeah, with all the crazy stuff you hear or read about diet, I think it's good to be reinforced on the basics.

I enjoyed this article: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/

THAT is a great article! Thank you so much!