Since when is a size 12 an "XL"?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't worry much about numbers, at this point i'm just going by fit

today's sizing, I wear an 8

I wear a lot of "retro" clothes from the 70's, and by 70's standards i'm a 12 or 14

dem big collars, love 'em

:love:

Yep, this is the best attitude. I go between sizes, depending on the brand. It only matters to me if it fits.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Like abercrombie and fitch they don't want the bigger ladies advertising their clothes (by wearing them).
    It's their prerogative...

Everyone identifies with certain brands, because of the way they look or are cut for a good fit (or their cost)... You just find the brands that suit you. :wink:

gotta agree here.

find another company, that you agree with, to give your money to.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    The other day when I wore underwear, I happened to look at the tag, they said XL/8 (Hanes). :grumble:

That's because there's a whole different scale for women's underwear sizing. Crazy but true.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    If they don't carry larger than a size 12 then make it one of your goals to start fitting into their size range. Not everything in life needs to be blown up as a big deal. In college I could never fit Forever 21 or Wet Seal clothing. Now I can and it was one of the most happiest moments in my life that I cried in front of one of the saleswomen. Ironically now I'm too old for their style but I'm proud of my achievement nonetheless. Point is, find motivation in this, not anger.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I can't even take this crap anymore.

It is not the store's fault or the clothing's fault or society's fault that you are a size 12. It is your fault. If you want to be smaller, lose some weight. If you are comfortable with your size, then why the hell do you even care about this?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    As you probably know, makers of fashionable women's clothing can--and often do--cater exclusively to women whose body type and size are close within the realm of the feminine ideal shape. Since thin is in, that means small sizes. This is nothing new and it makes the simple act of fitting into their clothes, in essence, a sort of status symbol. The fact that you can wear their label is publicly advertising that you have a body other women strive to emulate. And when women who can't fit into their clothes publicly and openly express their disgust for the label's decision to do so, they are only accomplishing one thing:

Giving them publicity. They're not costing them money by claiming to boycott them because they can't fit into their clothes anyway!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Uhhh...size 12 is large at the very least, bordering on XL. At that's from somebody who *likes* a size 12. OP has panties in a bunch. Big, extra large panties. :devil:

Chart posted by BeachGinger is on the money...always has been in my memory.

If anything, men's sizing might be more vanity focused than women's. Chest sizes in shirts have gone up 2-4 inches since I was a kid. Used to be 34-36 was small, 38-40 was a medium. Now mediums most places are 40-42, and cut *very* generously. Larges now run 44-46, XL doesn't even start until 48.

Point being, calling a 12 an extra large isn't inaccurate at all, and it's sure a lot better than calling it a medium, like is happening in men's sizes now.

how thoroughly patronising.

On topic, I find it with Fatface. I like their undershorts and went on the website to have a look, and a XXL is 38" waist. I think that's ludicrous. It's nothing to do with vanity. XXL implies seriously big, and 38 inch waist is not that!

patronising present participle of pa·tron·ize (Verb)
    Verb
    Treat with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority.
    Frequent (a store, theater, restaurant, or other establishment) as a customer.

Yeah...

I'm in Japan now. Here, they dont patronise you, you patronise them or shop at a place that designs clothes arund the overweight body shape, which does not have the same proportions and calls for a different approach.

I'm a man, 30 inch waist. Size L. Every single store clerk takes one look at me and says "size L". Patronising is when stores call a 36 inch waist "33" to make you feel better about being overweight. By decoupling the number from any actual unit of measure.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    if anyone has bothered to try on lululemons stuff you will see that the sizes are not accurate. I can wear a size 10 and a size 12 in their yoga pants. I am no where near a size 10-12 I am a 16 at best. Try on the clothes.

Exactly. Their clothing runs big!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what size I am...I couldn't afford those pants.

Plus, at least they didn't make an obnoxious deal about how heavy people aren't cool. They could have acted like Abercrombie, the Lords of Douche.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    if anyone has bothered to try on lululemons stuff you will see that the sizes are not accurate. I can wear a size 10 and a size 12 in their yoga pants. I am no where near a size 10-12 I am a 16 at best. Try on the clothes.

Exactly. Their clothing runs big!

Didn't know this! Thanks for the insight, you two!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I love lululemon. My grip is the fact that they do their cloth for 5'8" women. My last top can be used as a dress on my 4'11" umpa lumpa size
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Uhhh...size 12 is large at the very least, bordering on XL. At that's from somebody who *likes* a size 12. OP has panties in a bunch. Big, extra large panties. :devil:

Chart posted by BeachGinger is on the money...always has been in my memory.

If anything, men's sizing might be more vanity focused than women's. Chest sizes in shirts have gone up 2-4 inches since I was a kid. Used to be 34-36 was small, 38-40 was a medium. Now mediums most places are 40-42, and cut *very* generously. Larges now run 44-46, XL doesn't even start until 48.

Point being, calling a 12 an extra large isn't inaccurate at all, and it's sure a lot better than calling it a medium, like is happening in men's sizes now.

how thoroughly patronising.

Seriously... I agree.

But as a girl that likes good prices.. I go to Kohl. I kno you are shaking your head. Tough, I like them.:blushing:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lululemon runs big anyway and a person much larger than a 12/XL can fit in to their 12/XLs. Whatevs. Wear clothes that fit you, who cares about what size they are.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    in Europe US size 12 is equivalent to XXL
    always have been like that. people get fatter. more people wearing size xxl = changing XXL to L
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to start paying someone to make my clothes. I tried on 30+ pairs of pants at a consignment store (all different brands) in 3 different sizes and not one fit.

I am tall with fit legs but carry most of my fat in my lower belly. I cannot find a pair of pants that fit right. They are usually perfect in the waist but have so much room in the butt and legs, I could fit both legs in one leg of the pants.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    eh, I just go to Target. I've never been disappointed.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all 4 pages so I apologize if this was said....

The large majority of people who are going to buy clothing at a store like lululemon ARE going to be smaller sizes. Therefore, producing larger sizes isn't going to be in their best financial interest, as there would be fewer sales on items that cost additional money to produce. The money that would go into creating those larger sizes for each item (they don't just make them "bigger" they have to be designed to be proportionately cut. also, requires more fabric, even a little adds up when you produce things in that quantity) would not result in profits equal to the money brought in by smaller sizes.

As someone who doesn't quite fit into lululemon yet, I do find it disappointing, on the other hand, what a reward that will be when I can finally shop there! It's kinda nice that it's a reward that isn't accessible to me until I get much closer to my goal.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    12 US or UK?
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tim Gunn - designers are really missing out on a market that is size 12 and above...
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    What is a 12 in UK sizes?

In UK sizes, it would be a 16.