Newbie questions about gym

Hi All,

This is my first post! I've only started a work out routine about a month ago. I've been running/walking about 8-10 km a day outside, in an effort to lose a few extra pounds. I'm fortunate that I am not carrying a lot of extra weight and have a healthy BMI...but I have very little muscle mass or strength. My arms and legs are sticklike and my core is very flabby (two pregnancies + no exercise for 15 years + I'm 39 years old). I want to firm up that midsection and feel stronger.

Yesterday I bought a Goodlife membership and am looking for the best ways to tone up. I plan to keep about 30-40 minutes cardio in my daily routine (treadmill, elliptical or outside). Is the 20 minute fit-fix circuit a dependable overall conditioner if you use it effectively? I don't think I'm ready for free weights just yet...maybe once I gain a little confidence in my limbs :-)

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lanny

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    I mentioned in another thread that any kind of resistance training will be of some benefit when you first start, and from what I can tell through some internet searching, the 20 Minute Fit-Fix circuit is something that will be a good start. The key to building strength and lean muscle mass is to stimulate and overload the muscles. So if you're last few reps are harder than the first few reps in any given set, then you're strength training. And for most people, initial results of strength training come pretty fast in the beginning. As long as they are finding ways to increase the intensity (increasing the weight, primarily). I always recommend people to take pictures, because the differences over a short time (6-8 weeks) can be pretty apparent.

So my comments would be give the 20 minute fit-fix circuit a shot for 2-3 times a week (with at least one day of rest in between), for a couple of months. And maybe during that time, you can have some people (a trainer, gym staff, or fellow member) show you some free weight compound exercises, like dumbbell squats/lunges, barbell or dumbbell bench press, overhead/military press, and barbell/dumbbell deadlifts - of which you can add into your program when you're comfortable?

Best of luck to you! Hope you have fun with it.