Appetite suppressants that work? Not starving myself btw.

Options
2»

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    You've gotten lots of advice, but just a thought. A really good tasting herbal tea? Maybe orange? Or ginger?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I eat a lot of protein but I haven'tnotice that it affects my appeptite all that much, despite claims to the contrary.

However, I have been drinking a lot of black coffee (and nothing else) in the morning recently and that seems to keep me from feeling hungry until well into the afternoon.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Amphetamines work. But they’re dangerous and generally restricted or controlled legally.

Even the ones that aren’t exactly illegal are part of most standardized employment drug screens
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You've totally sold yourself a line on this one, sorry. You do say that overeating is a bad you developed since childhood, so why not take steps to develop better eating habits and learn portion control. Drugs are not the answer.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Even the best appetite suppressants are temporary. IIRC, most will last a few months in terms of effectiveness..

Agreed. Before I got on MFP I begged my doctor for something to control my over eating. She gave me vyvanse and it was absolutely awful. Horrible side effects and while it did help my eating for a couple of weeks, it wore off and she upped my dosage. Then another two weeks went by and i needed a higher dose again. Higher dose=more side effects. I decided to get off the crap instead.

You know what did work for me in terms of over eating? Counseling, tracking everything I eat in MFP, being honest with myself, and not restricting what I eat, just how much.

My experience with vyvanse was completely different. It saved my life. No awful side effects and have been on it for a year now.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Even the best appetite suppressants are temporary. IIRC, most will last a few months in terms of effectiveness..

Agreed. Before I got on MFP I begged my doctor for something to control my over eating. She gave me vyvanse and it was absolutely awful. Horrible side effects and while it did help my eating for a couple of weeks, it wore off and she upped my dosage. Then another two weeks went by and i needed a higher dose again. Higher dose=more side effects. I decided to get off the crap instead.

You know what did work for me in terms of over eating? Counseling, tracking everything I eat in MFP, being honest with myself, and not restricting what I eat, just how much.

My experience with vyvanse was completely different. It saved my life. No awful side effects and have been on it for a year now.

That’s awesome! Are you on it for BED or for ADHD issues? It was originally an ADHD drug that was found in clinical studies to be an appetite suppressant, and was then accepted by the FDA as a treatment for BED as well, but that’s not what the original intention was.

My husband took it for ADHD temporarily and had the same symptoms I did, even though we were prescribed it for entirely different reasons. I am the opposite of ADHD....
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It sounds like when you eat foods that aren’t healthy for you it’s because you perceive that you are missing out on the junk foods that your family and coworkers are eating. I recommend working with a therapist or a life coach on changing your perceptions so that you can approach a healthy diet and exercise routine as a way to live a better, healthier life instead of something that feels restrictive or less fun as eating junk food. You also stated this is a habit that began in childhood so it will take time for your brain to adjust to a different way of eating/behaving. But you can do it with the help of counseling.

Good luck!