Can the wise help the novice please

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    These people in this thread are talking about three different things, and you're missing the nuances.

Read that thread several times.

There are lots of ways to arrive at things. Pick one. I recommend using MyfitnessPal's numbers. Just start. Tweak later.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP, since you have chosen MFP as your tool for weight loss, and since you are a beginner, I would suggest punching in your stats and doing exactly what it says. Follow the calorie goal as your main objective. Once you get a sense of meal timing and what foods/macros procide the best satiety, adjust accordingly. No need to overcomplicate it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, OP there are a lot of different ways to arrive at all these numbers and with all your different threads you have different posters suggesting different methods and I think you are mixing them up!

1. The most important thing is calories, this will determine whether you lose weight or not. Put your current weight into MFP, tell it you want to lose weight and get your calorie goal. No matter what you eat, or what macro % you choose, hitting that calorie goal is your #1 priority. For a lot of people, that is literally all they do.

2. Macros can help with satiety, making it easier to hit your calorie goal. They also affect health and some fitness goals. Many people use MFP default setting, looking at the protein and fat goals as minimums. A popular custom ratio is 40C-30P-30F. Or you've gotten some other suggestions. It's all personal preference and finding what works for you. Don't get too hung up on this, calories are most important.

Good luck!