Motivation

Options
I know we all have different types of ways that we stay motivated and I wanted to ask what are all ways you guys stay motivated during your journey because I am not a very motivated and my weight is like a roller coaster and im just getting tired of it and I have a lot of weight to lose because I am 6'1 around 380 pounds.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You just have to find a tolerable way to eat less, but there's also no way around it.
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I found that using the food diary was really helpful (although I am only on day 30). Understanding what I eat has helped me adjust along the way bit by bit, but you have to be disciplined enough to enter every piece of food you eat including all the "bad foods".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    It's more useful for me to work on forming habits that will lead to success and being disciplined about them than thinking about motivation.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately if your own goals don't inspire you, motivation and discipline will be hard to come by. Those are things nobody can provide for you.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It's more useful for me to work on forming habits that will lead to success and being disciplined about them than thinking about motivation.

^^^This 100%.

Motivation isn't consistent, it will fail you and you'll fall back into habit. Work to correct the negative habits that have led you to be in your present situation and foster structured discipline that helps prop up your success.

When I first started using MFP I used the guided setup to get a calorie goal, ate normally, and logged to see where I was with my usual intake compared to my calorie goal, then, looking critically at my food/portion choices I starting to make small, sustainable changes to my lifestyle. Taking this evaluative approach to making permanent changes was critical and hugely helpful to being successful losing weight. It was things like only eating two oreos instead of five, swapping mustard for mayo, cutting down on soda and the coffee creamer. My wife and I also try to grocery shop together as often as possible to hold each other accountable about the quality of food we bring into our home (usually one of us is adult enough to say "no, put the cinnamon rolls down"). It does take a measure of planning but things like making sure something is laid out to defrost for dinner the night before or the morning of is huge for us preparing more healthier dinners at home than asking each other "what's for dinner?" when we both get home from work, which frequently leads to takeout.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Fake it till you make it! At first you just have to keep reminding yourself of why you started. On The days that you want to be lazy or eat all the food, tap into your reasons you started and force yourself to log your food and get moving. Pre-planning your food helps, as does having a workout routine. After a while of doing it even when you don't want to, it just becomes a habit....part of your everyday life. The hard part is getting started, once its a habit the discipline is pretty easy. At this point, you just have to decide if going over your calorie goal for xx tasty treat is more important than your long term goal.