Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    rhonda7694 wrote: »
    knay111 wrote: »

Thanks for the read. Now if i can just get past the initial migraine

There is at least one keto'er in the Low Carber Daily MFP group who is keto to manage migraines. It helped mine too. The steadier blood glucose levels seem to help some people.

The initial migraine is a completely preventable electrolyte imbalance. You need more sodium - about 3000-5000 mg or more of sodium a day. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt so you need about 2 tsps. of salt. Drink broth, salt your food, or take a teaspoon of salt with water. It will usually do the trick.

Good luck.
  • voicicoco
    voicicoco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suffered from chronic migraines and am starting keto today! I have about 70 lbs. to lose.

I have also tried low calorie diets without success (eating 1,200 calories of nutritious foods, feel like crap, more migraines, and not lose weight.. no, thanks!) My Mom, I believe, has a similar metabolic profile.. she said she would try keto, too! It sucks to have a thrifty metabolism, but it’s worth our health to keep trying new avenues!

Thoughts regarding migraines:

- Is your abortive migraine medicine working for you? I was originally on sumatriptan, but it only worked about 70% of the time. I was so anxious about migraines and not being able to control them that it was a downward spiral! My neurologist had me try another abortive medicine that works 100% of the time for me, and I’ve found my anxiety levels and number of migraines have decreased by more than 50%. I don’t think I would feel comfortable making changes - like trying keto - if I didn’t have a good abortive plan in place!

- Perhaps you can speak with your neurologist or primary about a preventative migraine medicine (I take topiramate when I am suffering from days of migraines)? Knowing there is an end in sight can help me get through difficult days.

- I cut carbs on average by 50% the first week, another 50% the second, and am now aiming for <21g of carbs per day. I haven’t experienced any migraines yet, but will see the effects of very low carb.

Best of luck to you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    I don’t know what i want or should do. Ugh

Here's the thing- when it comes to weight loss, *what* you eat is only a factor in that you want to be as comfortable as possible during the process. For most people, choosing foods they enjoy within their calorie allowance can get them there. No need to cut out entire food groups or otherwise impose unpleasant restrictions on your diet (especially if those restrictions are likely to aggravate migraines or otherwise make you feel unwell). What any weight loss plan is going to require is ongoing consistency & commitment to a calorie deficit. This is generally easier if you have chosen a reasonable weekly weight loss goal (2 lbs/week is really only for people who are very overweight) and a balanced diet that includes foods you enjoy. Just focus on accuracy in logging and be very patient, especially if you don't have a lot to lose. :)

I did the whole record everything and decrease calorie intake. Didn’t lose a thing.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you didn't lose anything, you weren't eating below your maintenance calories. If you consume fewer calories than you are burn, you will lose weight. Inevitably, people who think calorie counting doesn't work are either not accurately logging what they eat (estimating, using measuring cups instead of weighing with a food scale, using incorrect or homemade database entries, etc) or they are overestimating their activity level or exercise. Some don't stick with it long enough and their progress on the scale is masked by day-to-day (or in the case of women, monthly) water weight fluctuations. Again, none of this means you can't do keto, but as has been mentioned, it's just another way of eating- the calorie deficit is what creates the weight loss.

I did in fact record every little thing i put in my mouth for over a month and didn’t lose a pound. Lost ounces then gained ounces. Then i gave up for the last 2 weeks. Haven’t gotten on the scale since.

I can't tell if you did this for a month or two weeks. Many women retain water when they ovulate as well as premenstrually - your cycle may have had water weight show up on the scale and mask fat loss.

Also, it's common to retain water when you start a new exercise program. My scale went up 7 pounds when I started lifting weights. I'm sure glad I didn't give up, as it came back off in a few weeks.

I pay more attention to how I feel than the number on the scale - when I exercise regularly and don't overeat I feel great. Weight loss is a happy bonus.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    voicicoco wrote: »
    I suffered from chronic migraines and am starting keto today! I have about 70 lbs. to lose.

I have also tried low calorie diets without success (eating 1,200 calories of nutritious foods, feel like crap, more migraines, and not lose weight.. no, thanks!) My Mom, I believe, has a similar metabolic profile.. she said she would try keto, too! It sucks to have a thrifty metabolism, but it’s worth our health to keep trying new avenues!

Thoughts regarding migraines:

- Is your abortive migraine medicine working for you? I was originally on sumatriptan, but it only worked about 70% of the time. I was so anxious about migraines and not being able to control them that it was a downward spiral! My neurologist had me try another abortive medicine that works 100% of the time for me, and I’ve found my anxiety levels and number of migraines have decreased by more than 50%. I don’t think I would feel comfortable making changes - like trying keto - if I didn’t have a good abortive plan in place!

- Perhaps you can speak with your neurologist or primary about a preventative migraine medicine (I take topiramate when I am suffering from days of migraines)? Knowing there is an end in sight can help me get through difficult days.

- I cut carbs on average by 50% the first week, another 50% the second, and am now aiming for <21g of carbs per day. I haven’t experienced any migraines yet, but will see the effects of very low carb.

Best of luck to you!

@voicicoco Good luck. Just don't forget the salt. Trust me. I did not believe I needed a lot of sodium when I first went LCHF. After a week of headaches I finally added more salt when the leg cramps started. Salt, salt, salt. ;)
  • rhonda7694
    rhonda7694 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Reasons not to do keto:
    -Because everyone else is doing it
    -Better for losing weight (It has been proven that in the long run, it's not superior to any diet when it comes to fat loss)

Reasons to do keto:
    -You're undisciplined when you eat carbs and not eating them at all is the only way for you to stick with a caloric deficit.
    -You just enjoy a high fat diet and getting rid of carbs is not an issue for you
    -You have health issues in which a doctor tells you not to eat carbs.

If you're losing weight, I always say that stick with a diet that will make your fat loss journey less miserable. If keto doesn't make you miserable and it's actually enjoyable for you, then do keto. If you're miserable, then your in luck, keto is not a requirement for weight loss, being in a caloric deficit is for 99% of the population.

Thanks for breaking down the pros and cons.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Depends if you have enough sick days to cover the increase in migraines or not.

True. But i also need to do something

What makes you believe ketosis is that "something" compared to creating a caloric deficit while ingesting carbs?Losing weight with ketosis still requires a caloric deficit, and if that deficit is the same as one on a diet that does include carbs, fat loss will be same. What advantages do you think ketosis will offer you that outweigh the detriments of increased migraines?

I tried the caloric decrease and didn’t lose a pound.

You can’t lose weight on keto without a calorie deficit.

If a “calorie decrease” doesn’t work, keto won’t work.

When I realized that, I asked myself “why am I making dieting twice as complicated- eating at a deficit AND cutting out so much food, when I can eat anything I want (my favorite foods I’ll certainly eat for life) and lose weight eating under my TDEE?”

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    DmaMfz wrote: »
    vismal wrote: »
    Depends if you have enough sick days to cover the increase in migraines or not.

True. But i also need to do something

What makes you believe ketosis is that "something" compared to creating a caloric deficit while ingesting carbs?Losing weight with ketosis still requires a caloric deficit, and if that deficit is the same as one on a diet that does include carbs, fat loss will be same. What advantages do you think ketosis will offer you that outweigh the detriments of increased migraines?

I tried the caloric decrease and didn’t lose a pound.

You can’t lose weight on keto without a calorie deficit.

If a “calorie decrease” doesn’t work, keto won’t work.

When I realized that, I asked myself “why am I making dieting twice as complicated- eating at a deficit AND cutting out so much food, when I can eat anything I want (my favorite foods I’ll certainly eat for life) and lose weight eating under my TDEE?”

well the only way you will see a loss in keto where you may not in a regular diet is water loss. but thats about it. it still comes down to a deficit .so where a person who does keto loses say 5 lbs the first week may think oh this is working doesnt realize its mainly water and glycogen stores being depleted.