bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
edited December 2017 in Food and Nutrition
What are some decent food scales?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Affordable means what you are willing and able to spend. Food scales normally cost 10-20 dollars. Just get one that has a tare button, displays weight in grams, has 1 gram increments, and can weigh at least 1000 grams.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    Options
    I don’t know why I was working under the assumption that food scales are expensive. I just browsed through amazon and they were all pretty cheap. Thanks @kommodevaran
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    As you see, they're very affordable. My "diet kit" includes a scale, some plastic bowls for weighing foods, and my own set of plastic cup measures. Here is the scale I bought in 2014, which still works well:

Ozeri Pro Digital Kitchen Food Scale, 1g to 12 lbs Capacity, in Stylish Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E7AZQA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0Q.pAbQ29S3G0
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Great to hear! No, they're not that expensive. I'm sure you'll find one you'll like.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Affordable means what you are willing and able to spend. Food scales normally cost 10-20 dollars. Just get one that has a tare button, displays weight in grams, has 1 gram increments, and can weigh at least 1000 grams.

This may not be enough if you intend to do a lot of weighing of whole recipes (especially stews and soups, with a lot of water weight) in heavy pots and pans (weight pot or pan before you start to cook, record weight for future use, weigh again at end with the food in it, subtract for weight of recipe). My scale (an Oxo with a display panel that can slide out for easier reading when you have large dishes on the scale) will weigh up 11 lbs or 5,000 g.

But if you're only going to weigh out single servings, 1000 grams will likely meet your needs.

Another thing to check is what kind of batteries it takes, if you prefer the convenience of ordinary (e.g., AA or A) batteries that are readily available in grocery stores, drug stores, etc. Some of them I believe take "specialty" batteries that you may have to look a little harder to find, or buy online.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Ditto what lynn said about enough capacity to weigh the whole potful. Not essential necessarily but pretty handy.
    Also handy is a big weighing platform so you can read the display when a big pot is sitting on it.
    It doesn't need to have a button that says, "TARE." Many of them just use the on-off switch. A short press is tare. A long press is off.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    Options
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I actually have a digital postal scale that I use for weighing food. https://www.amazon.com/SP5-Digital-Postal-Mailing-Scale/dp/B00006IACE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 My dh actually bought it to weigh out plaster for a project years ago and I snagged it for my own use. It has a capacity of 5lbs/2.2 kg and a tare button. It weighs in both oz and g which is nice. I generally don't weigh big pots of food and have never really needed to weigh something beyond the maximum capacity of my scale.

I think you do need to consider how you will use it. Any digital scale that will accomodate the amounts you usually will weigh should be fine. There are inexpensive (less than $20) scales that will weigh up to 11 lbs/5 kg if that is what you need.
    For example:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C465Y8U?psc=1