slow cooker

Options
question:

Im curious if I took plain white meat chicken breast put it in a slow cooker for 4 hours with water and some paprika, by it sittong in there for a long time, does it make have more fat? can I still add it under chicken breast cooked no skin?

Replies

• zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I just compared slow cooker vs. just cooked and I saw the macros for protein with a slow cooker are half the amount for the same measurement of chicken just cooked...does that make sense?
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Cooking it will not produce any more fat.
    Yes you can still log it as no skin chicken. Weigh it with a food scale if you can.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Yes you can still log it as no skin chicken. Weigh it with a food scale if you can.

Thanks so much! Yes I do have a food scale...Why on MFP does it say 8 oz of chicken cooked in a slow cooker has less protein then 8 oz of chicken just cooked? Does that make sense?
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It’s probably just two different entries, one could have been a more fatty cut of meat, like dark meat. There are hundreds of variations of the same foods on MFP because they are all user entered. You have to be careful of that and double check what entries you use.
    For produce and meat, the USDA website is a great place to cross reference, or if your Chicken was prepackaged, use what was on your actual packaging.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »

Thanks so much! Yes I do have a food scale...Why on MFP does it say 8 oz of chicken cooked in a slow cooker has less protein then 8 oz of chicken just cooked? Does that make sense?

Does that really make sense to you when you think about it? The database is full of incorrect errors. This is why I log my foods raw and then prepare them.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »

I know it's been said already, but the database is wrong is all.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    In MFP, search for "chicken broilers breast meat only cooked." There are three choices based on the USDA lab-tested results: Fried, Roasted, Stewed. There are some minor differences in macros based on those three methods.

Fried = cooked in oil or fat
    Roasted = cooked with dry heat
    Stewed = cooked with liquid (such as slow cooked in liquid)

tc6rwjwa069h.jpg

Here are the links to each database record on the USDA website.

Basic Report: 05063, Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, fried

Basic Report: 05064, Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted

Basic Report: 05065, Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, stewed

Here is a side-by-side image of the USDA database records.

d1zszlxlpxg5.jpg
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!!! I appreciate your help
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    In MFP, search for "chicken broilers breast meat only cooked." There are three choices based on the USDA lab-tested results: Fried, Roasted, Stewed. There are some minor differences in macros based on those three methods.

Fried = cooked in oil or fat
    Roasted = cooked with dry heat
    Stewed = cooked with liquid (such as slow cooked in liquid)

tc6rwjwa069h.jpg

Here are the links to each database record on the USDA website.

Basic Report: 05063, Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, fried

Basic Report: 05064, Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted

Basic Report: 05065, Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, stewed

Here is a side-by-side image of the USDA database records.

d1zszlxlpxg5.jpg

OP, when looking at this comparison, the weight will be based on after cooked, not precooked. Notice when looking at the water content, the higher water content the lower the nutrient count. The water content is related to how much water was cooked off. It's not that the nutritional values have changed for the same piece of meat, just that the same post-cooked weight will have slightly different numbers based on cooking method. If you had the exact same piece of meat and cooked it in the three different methods, the final cooked weight will be different because of cooking method. Once the weight differences are adjusted for, the actual nutritional values won't be significantly different.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    PS: Check out the Skinnytaste blog for some low calorie slow-cooker chicken recipes. I love her chicken enchilada soup recipe.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    If you are cooking everything from scratch I.e raw ingredients then just enter the data for the raw food into the recipe generator in the app. Measure or weigh everything that goes in.

You will then know how many calories are in the pot. When it's cooked and ready to serve you can weigh the whole batch. Then it's just a matter of maths to work out the weight of the portion you want.

Example

3200 cals of food went in
    Target portion of 400 cals
    One portion is one eighth of the total
    Batch weighs 2.4kg
    So one portion weighs 300g