Apple Watch 3

Options
I have been an avid fitbit user for a few years now and my husband surprised me for xmas with the newest iwatch. I am a little overwhelmed with everything on it and the two most important things are my step count and total calories burned.
I am having some issues with the activity app. It says my total calories and active calories but I cant find my resting calories. I am just confused on what my total calorie burn for the day is and how to find it on my acitivty app or health app. I have reset my watch to try to see if that helps but it doesn't.
I also noticed the calorie burn on my watch is much lower compared to my fitbit (I am just looking at total calories) and my step count is much higher. Usually I have to work to hit my 10,000 steps on my fitbit and yesterday when wearing my apple watch I hit over 13,000.

Replies

• ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I also input the correct height, weight, and age in the activity app already and made sure that the heart rate and fitness tracking were on in the privacy section.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Welcome to the world of Apple Watch!! I've been using one for 2 years now. In fact, like you, my wife just surprised me with a NEW Apple Watch 3 to replace my old Apple Watch 1 that I've had for the past 2 years. What a difference! It's been an incredibly powerful tool for me to keep me motivated...I'm extremely analytical, so it feeds right into that obsession for me.
    Regarding core apple watch fitness tracking app - you are correct, it's not very easy to find the info. Apple could have done better in that department, and the activity ring thing gives very limited information. I've actually had better luck with various 3rd party apps when looking to analyze my workouts and progress. Of all the apps I've tried, my highest recommendation would be to lookup FITIV in the apple store. There's a free version and a paid version (I think $12... well worth the $). When you are using your apple watch, it writes all that data to the activity tracker on the iphone. The problem, is you have to dig to find all that data in different places to make sense of it (you mentioned it was hard to find). FITIV actually pulls all that data from the core apple iOS and shows it to you on the FITIV dashboard. I've been using it for two years and it has been the perfect compliment for me. There's also a FITIV support group on facebook with tons of other users as well as the developer that can answer just about any question you can come up with. Very helpful and motivating group. The developer is amazing... they really listen to the users and it's been designed around us.
    When viewing my dashboard on FITIV, I have three progress bars... resting, active, and total. This gives me a running tally of my progress during the day. Resting is my normal caloric burn according to my personal data, active is my exercise calories, and total is the sum of the two. Pretty easy to view at a glance during the day.
    If viewing this same information on your iphone, you'll go to apple health app>health data>activity ... then look for "resting energy". Your total will be the sum of "resting" and "active".

blqe0xvajogg.jpg
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, that app is exactly what I am looking for! I keep thinking I should return it and go back to the blaze that I have had for so long, but I really like the way it looks and I think I just need to give it some time to get used to it.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    definitely give it time... you'll love it. And this is just ONE of the screens.... Definitely join the FB group.... its a fun motivating group of people :)
  • JanePublic
    JanePublic Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The HealthView app (for phone and watch) is also awesome, especially of you are a former dedicated FitBit user like myself. There are many apps in the store that pull data from the watch/health app, break it down and present it to you in various formats. I don't yet like the Apple watch3 for workout/excercise. FitBit is really superior over the watch and I've been eyeing mine longingly since getting the Apple watch3. Over the years I returned earlier versions of the watch because of their workout tracking shortcomings, always going back to Fitbit.

The integration of Apple Health/Apple Watch series3 with MFP isn't as terrific as MFP and FitBit integration. After comparing ease of set-up and data syncing between devices/apps, I've also found (so far) that Apple Health/Apple Watch3 integrates most easily with LoseIt when compared to MFP.

I'm a longtime/original MFP and FitBit User, (moved over to LoseIt) considering making a return to MFP, however the problematic Health/Watch integration might just keep me away. Hope the obvious bugs and deficiencies get worked out pronto.

I found the following info helpful, most remarkable: MFP will not accept Apple Watch exercises categorized as OTHER.

What can I do with the MyFitnessPal Apple Watch app?
    - use step data from the watch to adjust your calorie goal for the day - walk more to eat more!
    - view your remaining calories for the day
    - ​view your remaining nutrient amounts for the dayview your steps and your step goal for the day
    -
    ​Known Issues
    - Exercises tracked as "Other" via the watch will not currently sync to the MyFitnessPal app. "Other" is a new HealthKit category, and the MFP app is currently unaware of this label. We hope to support this category in the future.
    - The Nutrients view in the Watch app does not match our App store screenshots. This will be fixed in an upcoming release: Carbs, Fat and Protein will be moved to the top of the view.
    - If the Watch app is unresponsive communicating with the iPhone, exiting and re-launching the Watch app is usually enough to cause un-synced data to process. In some cases it may also be helpful to tap More > Sync on the MyFitnessPal iPhone app.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    JanePublic wrote: »
    The HealthView app (for phone and watch) is also awesome, especially of you are a former dedicated FitBit user like myself. There are many apps in the store that pull data from the watch/health app, break it down and present it to you in various formats. I don't yet like the Apple watch3 for workout/excercise. FitBit is really superior over the watch and I've been eyeing mine longingly since getting the Apple watch3. Over the years I returned earlier versions of the watch because of their workout tracking shortcomings, always going back to Fitbit.

The integration of Apple Health/Apple Watch series3 with MFP isn't as terrific as MFP and FitBit integration. After comparing ease of set-up and data syncing between devices/apps, I've also found (so far) that Apple Health/Apple Watch3 integrates most easily with LoseIt when compared to MFP.

I'm a longtime/original MFP and FitBit User, (moved over to LoseIt) considering making a return to MFP, however the problematic Health/Watch integration might just keep me away. Hope the obvious bugs and deficiencies get worked out pronto.

I found the following info helpful, most remarkable: MFP will not accept Apple Watch exercises categorized as OTHER.

What can I do with the MyFitnessPal Apple Watch app?
    - use step data from the watch to adjust your calorie goal for the day - walk more to eat more!
    - view your remaining calories for the day
    - ​view your remaining nutrient amounts for the dayview your steps and your step goal for the day
    -
    ​Known Issues
    - Exercises tracked as "Other" via the watch will not currently sync to the MyFitnessPal app. "Other" is a new HealthKit category, and the MFP app is currently unaware of this label. We hope to support this category in the future.
    - The Nutrients view in the Watch app does not match our App store screenshots. This will be fixed in an upcoming release: Carbs, Fat and Protein will be moved to the top of the view.
    - If the Watch app is unresponsive communicating with the iPhone, exiting and re-launching the Watch app is usually enough to cause un-synced data to process. In some cases it may also be helpful to tap More > Sync on the MyFitnessPal iPhone app.

I believe this information is out of date. There are or were some issues with syncing if you name your "other" workout, but if you don't pick a workout type, they've been syncing just fine for me.

ETA: The article you quoted from is dated January 11, 2016 - the Apple Watch 3 wasn't released until September 2017.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1957681-how-does-the-myfitnesspal-apple-watch-app-work-

3sua553ex9qw.jpg