Margarine or butter

Which is healthier, margarine or butter? Or is something non-dairy better? Nuttelex or almond butter or something else?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    Butter is healthier than margarine, but for some baked goods (certain cookies etc), you need margarine. You can get dairy-free margarine, but if you have to ask, you don't need that. Nut butter is something completely different and used for different purposes.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Margarines made with trans-fat are to be avoided. This is because trans-fats do, and are scientifically proven to, harm you. Some margarines are made with olive oil and are quite healthful, such as Smart Balance. I've even seen my local Wal-Mart offer ghee, which has the texture of a semi-liquid butter and is a refined form of butter, good for you.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Apart from baking, I use spreadable margarine on my toast, whereas my wife always uses butter.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    That's a first for me @TonyB0588 .
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Anyone remember this from childhood days??

Betty Botter bought some butter
    But she said the butter's bitter,
    "If I put it in my batter
    It will make my batter bitter,
    But a bit of better butter
    Will make my batter better."

So she bought some better butter
    Better than the bitter butter,
    And she put it in her batter
    And her batter was not bitter,
    So 'twas better Betty Botter
    Bought a bit of better butter.

Yes, I remember it. I always use BUTTER. It takes so much better and margarine is not healthier.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    @fatmom12018
    I use Butter & feel it's much healthier than margarine for our bodies, I don't eat a ton of it but I prefer the taste of it and would definitely buy it over margarine. I know in the past I've read articles that talked about margarine containing ingredients that our bodies can't digest. You'd have to look those up, it's been awhile since I referenced those, there may be something in the MFP archives?

What I use most frequently is Earth Balance brand it comes in stick or a container, which I use. I buy the one with Olive Oil. Earth Balance also carries a yummy Olive Oil mayo it's definitely my go to!

This bit is confusing, as I think Earth Balance is technically a margarine, and certainly it's not butter.

You can't generalize about which is healthier, as margarines vary a lot. I'd avoid any with transfats, as those are bad for you, no question, but I think few are made with transfats these days.

That said, I never use margarine, as I think butter is not bad for you (in moderation) and has a superior taste, and it's not like I use it much anyway. Pretty much just for baking, where margarine is not a great substitute, and for a very few dishes (like skate in brown butter) where I think butter's taste is needed and olive oil (or avocado oil or coconut oil) won't work.

I don't really use spreads, and like olive oil for most of my savory cooking. But if someone enjoys margarine and doesn't use a transfat one, I think it's fine (or I would suggest reading the ingredients for that particular product, anyway). I believe there is a poster here who makes her own margarine at home.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    (That said, I'm in the middle of making mashed potatoes, and I'm going to use butter in them.)
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    I prefer butter but I typically go with Becel light margarine just because of low calorie. Technically margarine has this little "problem" as coming with trans-fat but overall, assuming a relatively low consumption in either case, it is hair-splitting.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    That's a first for me @TonyB0588 .

It's actually a "tongue twister", and we used to try to say it very quickly.
  • fatmom12018
    fatmom12018 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks to everyone who replied.
    That has been very helpful and given me plenty to think about and more of a sense of direction
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2017
    Very few margarines still contain transfat, so just check the label and avoid partially hydrogenated whosywhatsits.

Land o Lakes has a spreadable butter/olive oil blend that I use most of the time. When I was little and I was sick or sad, my mom would spread margarine on saltine crackers for me and let me have a little cup of soda with it, so I have a sentimental soft spot for margarine.

Honestly, unless you use a lot of it, I think either is fine, just avoid the transfat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    There is no difference health wise so I use the best product for the job. I use Becel on my toast as it melts delightfully. Butter is used in baking, sometimes half and half with shortening.

If you want to try non dairy I suggest you try a vegetable oil.

https://lifehacker.com/bake-the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies-by-knowing-what-to-1593805654
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Very helpful info here!!!
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    I use butter because I like it better. Earth Balance was invented at my alma mater, though!