Does coffee burn calories?

So if I drink coffee and it increases my heart rate- does that mean it is burning calories as I sit?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    You burn more calories lifting the cup. You do not burn enough calories to eliminate all the syrup and fat certain businesses offer to add to your coffee. Black coffee has been studied so long that it's clear it has some good health benefits. Enjoy.
  • amykowald
    amykowald Posts: 1 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Burning calories burns calories. If you’re so worried about increasing your heart rate to burn calories why not just take the thyroid medication T3 in order to increase your metabolic rate. Though it poses several health risks alongside it.

Never take thyroid medication unless you are diagnosed with hypothyroidism. You are putting yourself at risk for cardiac arrhythmias among other things - the most common of which is atrial fibrilation.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    amykowald wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Burning calories burns calories. If you’re so worried about increasing your heart rate to burn calories why not just take the thyroid medication T3 in order to increase your metabolic rate. Though it poses several health risks alongside it.

Never take thyroid medication unless you are diagnosed with hypothyroidism. You are putting yourself at risk for cardiac arrhythmias among other things - the most common of which is atrial fibrilation.

As I noted at the end of my post. It was sarcasm. Obviously you should never take a hormone altering drug without medical direction

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    Your heart rate going up doesn't mean you are burning calories, necessarily. Work burns calories. Work also makes your heart rate increase (usually). But lots of things can make your heart rate rise that aren't work and don't burn calories. Your heart rate can increase due to hot weather, dehydration, certain strong emotions, physical strain, etc.

If your coffee makes you twitchy, the twitchiness burns some extra calories. Not really enough to matter, though.

If the coffee makes you energetic, so that you do actual things, like clean out your storage shed or wash the neighbor's car, that will burn calories. ;)

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    dfein001 wrote: »
    So if I drink coffee and it increases my heart rate- does that mean it is burning calories as I sit?

If you drink coffee, you're drinking calories.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Of course. It's a stimulant so you will burn more calories. In fact, stacking stimulants is something that is commonly done to aid in weight loss. See EC/ECA stacks for example.

Now if you're asking how many calories a cup of coffee would burn...not worth even calculating IMO.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 266 Member
    I wish
  • Ann262
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Not if you drink it black.

• tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited December 2017
    Caffeine can increase metabolic rate, if that is what you are asking
    http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/33/5/989.short
    However, that study also showed that it did not lead to increased fat oxidisation in obese people. However, it could lead to increased energy to support increased activity which would burn more calories.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899900710002510

Note, I'm talking about caffeine, obviously coffees with milk, sugar etc would add to calories.
  • Ann262
    I am a HUGE coffee drinker. If caffeine is helping me burn more calories, it is a negligible number. Probably not even a whole number.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Ann262 wrote: »

Actually black coffee does have a few calories, just not alot.
  • Ann262
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Probably as negligable and the additional calories burned from drinking it. LOL!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Probably as negligable and the additional calories burned from drinking it. LOL!

I would hazard you're correct...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    LOL I WISH
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member

Drink Iced black coffee for twice the metabolic benefit. Your body has to warm it up and warm you up. Thus burning more calories.