Feeling bruised after eating a lot?

Options
I've had a recurring sensation over the last few months where my skin feels bruised all over my body when I touch it (kind of like when you have mild sunburn and it's uncomfortable to touch but not super painful). It's not there all the time and it seems to be linked to something I'm eating- either in quantity or food type. I have a doctors appointment in a few weeks so I think I'm going to bring it up then but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had any clue why this happens?

Obviously as today (technically yesterday) is/was Christmas, I've indulged in all the sweet foods! Chocolates, sweets, pies not to mention Christmas dinner. A few hours ago my entire body started feeling bruised (ranging from mild discomfort in my arms and legs to my stomach, back, shoulders and ribs being really painful). My actual dinner wasn't that much bigger than a normal sunday roast so I don't think that caused it. I think it's down to the excess sweets and chocolate. I know it's not good for you but does anyone have any idea if the sugar and weird skin problem could be related? I have experienced this before, often after overindulging in food and whilst I've heard people say they feel ill or their tummy feels stretched, I've never heard anyone say 'I've eaten so many sweets, my skin hurts!'.

Obviously a doctor is the best person to talk to but as it'll be a couple of weeks before I see them I thought I'd ask if anyone had any idea what could be happening?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Carb sensitivity maybe? If I drink an excess of sugar, certain pops, coolers, and some candies I get VERY painful aching up my back and neck. I linked it to excessively sugary foods/drinks. I never spoke to a doctor about it, I just cut those foods out and haven’t experienced it since.

In your case, don’t be like myself and just get a medical opinion. For all I knew I could’ve been diabetic. Regular Checkups/Blood tests since then have ruled anything like that out. It just isn’t worth taking any risks for yourself in the present.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    The only thing that occurs to me is that something you're eating (or the amount of something you're eating) at the times this occurs is causing extreme water retention (edema), stretching the skin taut and making it sensitive to the touch. But if this something you never experienced until recently, it would seem like there's something else the matter that's making you more prone to this now.

But I think checking with your doctor is definitely the way to go.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've felt this and it's been indigestion.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Food allergy most likely.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I’ve felt like this before and I believe for me it is water retention/inflammation. Sounds like you have a food sensitivity or you ate a bunch of carbs or sodium and are retaining water.
  • yaddakadu
    yaddakadu Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I don't know if this has anything to do with food, though. I don't know of any food related stuff - unless it's like an food allergy or something. But I don't know if I've heard of any food allergies that gives you skin sensitivity w/o your skin breaking out in hives or something. Good job on making a doctors appointment. Maybe it's something to do with spiking your sugar? Because of the sweets.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I’ve felt like this before and I believe for me it is water retention/inflammation. Sounds like you have a food sensitivity or you ate a bunch of carbs or sodium and are retaining water.

Agreed.....especially noticable I am sure if you are not used to the hi carb hi sugar items on a regular basis.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    When I had untreated diabetes my hands and arms used to hurt from diabetic neuropathy. It was usually first thing when I woke up though, not after eating, and it doesn't sound like the kind of pain you're describing. It wasn't painful to the touch and didn't feel bruised so much as a generalized awfulness.

If I were you I think I would see about getting my appointment moved up.
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I know what you're talking about! If I eat well within my calroies for at least two weeks (and more) and have a day I overeat I become sore. My lymph nodes hurt to the touch in my neck. I don't know what the cause of this is either.

Please let me know what your doctor says.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I get this if I've overeaten a lot on carbs. I get super bloated, and the water retention causes that bruised feeling in my upper arms, thighs, and belly (basically the fattier parts of me!). It goes away after eating normally for a few days in my case.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    yaddakadu wrote: »
    Yikes. I don't know if this has anything to do with food, though. I don't know of any food related stuff - unless it's like an food allergy or something. But I don't know if I've heard of any food allergies that gives you skin sensitivity w/o your skin breaking out in hives or something. Good job on making a doctors appointment. Maybe it's something to do with spiking your sugar? Because of the sweets.

You can definitely have skin sensitivity without any sort of rash. I have chronic eczema, and even when I have no visible redness, my skin hurts pretty much all the time (it's multi-factorial, so may or may not be foods causing it at any given time). And if I start eating something, or only occasionally eat something, that I haven't identified as something I'm intolerant of it can take several days before I get to eczema breakout point (took me quite a while to work out I shouldn't eat gluten, for example, because I didn't eat that much of it previously anyway, and it wasn't until I started eating more at one point, and daily, that it actually caused a full on eczema flare).

OP, this is definitely something you should discuss with your doctor before going off on your own and eliminating things.