Shoes

Options
I have a couple of extra dollars to spend on gym shoes. I was wondering what the consensus is on having more than one pair of shoes to exercise with? I am boxing, running, and weightlifting for exercise, and my last pair of shoes are absolutely done for. If I invest in two pairs, should I buy a pair for running and another pair for cross training? Do people have favorite brands?
Thanks for the suggestions
xx

Replies

• gmc685
    gmc685 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Haha! I like your enthusiasm for shoes! I can barely afford one pair, but I am going to figure out how to get two now just because of your post! Thank you. :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i do everything in converse these days, and i have about 20 pair all over my house and car and gym bag. I even do my cardio in converse, what the heck.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Currently have 10 different running shoes in my rotation. 2 other pairs (Nike frees) for regular workouts. 1 pair of Vans eras from HS for powerlifting.

Favorite running shoes are Adidas Boston 6.
  • gmc685
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i do everything in converse these days, and i have about 20 pair all over my house and car and gym bag. I even do my cardio in converse, what the heck.

Sweet! I love that these are a more affordable option! And i can wear them out and feel cool :) thanks!!
  • gmc685
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Currently have 10 different running shoes in my rotation. 2 other pairs (Nike frees) for regular workouts. 1 pair of Vans eras from HS for powerlifting.

Favorite running shoes are Adidas Boston 6.

Cool! :) I’ll check out the adidas too. I feel like such a noob for just now getting on the multiple pairs train! Thanks for the reply!!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I wear Do-Win for lifting. Good solid lifting shoe with a raised heel.

For everything else I wear Merrel Trail Gloves. They are minimalist with no cushion but most comfortable shoe I have owned in years.
  • JLLeigh98
    JLLeigh98 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I keep it pretty minimal due to budget but would recommend at least two pairs.
    The weightlifting depends on what lifts you are doing. Basic gym weight training does not require a special shoe necessarily. However weightlifting heavy weights and doing compound movements especially heavy squats and deadlifts you may want something flat to give you a good base. I agree with the above mentioned Converse style being a good option. I would recommend the taller style as they will supply more support.

I don’t know too much about the mechanics of boxing but would assume a regular running shoe would work, something affordable and little frill. Maybe even the same shoes you use for running.

As for running, I would strongly recommend getting a good pair specifically suited for the surface and style of running you do. It will save you potential injuries having good shoes.
    I personally love the Newton running shoes as they are not too pricey but are the best shoes I have ever used as a forefoot runner.
    I keep the other parts of my shoe collection pretty trim so I can invest in a really good pair for the ones I do get. Hope this helps!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If your lifting involves standing on your feet and pushing weight that is actually a workout for you - you need some solid-base shoes like the mentioned Vans or Converse.

Nothing squishy/shock-absorbing for that. Terrible platform for lifting.

So that would be my recommendation - they'll last too - not like the cushion will wear out!
  • gmc685
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I wear Do-Win for lifting. Good solid lifting shoe with a raised heel.

For everything else I wear Merrel Trail Gloves. They are minimalist with no cushion but most comfortable shoe I have owned in years.

I haven’t heard of the Merrel or the Do-win, so you can bet I will check both out! Thank you for replying and for the information! Very helpful :)
  • gmc685
    Options
    JLLeigh98 wrote: »
    Hey there! I keep it pretty minimal due to budget but would recommend at least two pairs.
    The weightlifting depends on what lifts you are doing. Basic gym weight training does not require a special shoe necessarily. However weightlifting heavy weights and doing compound movements especially heavy squats and deadlifts you may want something flat to give you a good base. I agree with the above mentioned Converse style being a good option. I would recommend the taller style as they will supply more support.

I don’t know too much about the mechanics of boxing but would assume a regular running shoe would work, something affordable and little frill. Maybe even the same shoes you use for running.

As for running, I would strongly recommend getting a good pair specifically suited for the surface and style of running you do. It will save you potential injuries having good shoes.
    I personally love the Newton running shoes as they are not too pricey but are the best shoes I have ever used as a forefoot runner.
    I keep the other parts of my shoe collection pretty trim so I can invest in a really good pair for the ones I do get. Hope this helps!

This was great information!! Thank you!! I plan on getting a good pair of converse and a good running shoe (i will check out the Newtons!!)! Maybe I will grow my collection and be able to add more as I go along. Who knew getting fit would also take some financially stability?! ;) thanks for the help!!
  • gmc685
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If your lifting involves standing on your feet and pushing weight that is actually a workout for you - you need some solid-base shoes like the mentioned Vans or Converse.

Nothing squishy/shock-absorbing for that. Terrible platform for lifting.

So that would be my recommendation - they'll last too - not like the cushion will wear out!

Solid-base shoes make sense but I hadn’t thought about it! Very happy to have this information. I will be adjusting accordingly :) thanks so much!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    2 videos I think might give some insight from Rippetoe. Ya, I drink the Kool-aid because it makes sense to me. These are both from same Q&A but I time stamped the 2 locations most pertinent to shoes.

https://youtu.be/G_r4YOkMeak?t=2m23s
    https://youtu.be/G_r4YOkMeak?t=8m00s

In the end, we are all different. If you honestly feel better in lifting with a certain type of shoe, do it. I have seen huge numbers put up in everything from Nike Romaleos to Rogue Slippers. Most people think squatting with a heal helps hit depth easier once they get used to it and pulling in flats/slippers seems to be more excepted.

I squat and pull on the same day and am too lazy to change my shoes. That's why I do all lifts in the Do-Wins and I am very happy with both squatting and deadlifting with a .75 inch rise.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    For running, Get a good pair of running shoes. See Fleet feet, or another quality running focused store.

For lifting, Get a good pair of solid minimal drop shoes. Chucks/Vans or Vibrams or mat/swim shoes. If you get into competition, you may need a pair of squat boots(talk to someone else, that's not my bag).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    gmc685 wrote: »
    I have a couple of extra dollars to spend on gym shoes. I was wondering what the consensus is on having more than one pair of shoes to exercise with? I am boxing, running, and weightlifting for exercise, and my last pair of shoes are absolutely done for. If I invest in two pairs, should I buy a pair for running and another pair for cross training? Do people have favorite brands?
    Thanks for the suggestions
    xx

If you run, then your running shoes should be dedicated to running. If you use them for other things the mileage life is reduced, and at an unknown rate. I tend to use newer running shoes for long distance, then once they've done 400 miles only on shorter runs of less than ten miles. Replace them at 600 miles.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Brooks Ghost for road running, Salomon for trail running, and I lift in Converse low tops. I use my old running shoes for everyday wear and dog walking.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I’m a fitness noob, but I do have three different pairs of exercise shoes: running shoes specially fitted at a running store used only for running, my old running shoes primarily used for walking outdoors (unless it’s snow boot season) and a super duper cheap pair of Keds for indoor body weight and cardio workouts. So yeah, definitely have a dedicated running pair - both of mine have been Brooks, but it’s really about fit, not brand. Cheap cross trainers are fine though. I spent about 10x as much on my running shoes as those Keds
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Get fit for running shoes and only wear them for running. I use old "dead" running shoes for lifting, basically the cushioning is compressed. I'm not sure what your cross training consists of... I do workout DVDs at home barefoot. I used to like my nike frees for stuff like kickboxing, but sometimes I wear my Mizunos catalyst (I use them for short runs and other workouts).
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I like chuck Taylor’s for lifting and Hoka for running.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    For running, Get a good pair of running shoes. See Fleet feet, or another quality running focused store.

For lifting, Get a good pair of solid minimal drop shoes. Chucks/Vans or Vibrams or mat/swim shoes. If you get into competition, you may need a pair of squat boots(talk to someone else, that's not my bag).

^ Pretty much this. Most shoes have a raised heel & spongy sole, which is fine for running, but generally isn't ideal for anything else. I use $30 skateboard shoes for pretty much everything, even running short distances.

Chose a brand that's comfortable. That varies from person to person, so i won't waste your time with my favorite brands. :+1: