Christmas weight gain: HELP !

Options
2»

Replies

• echastee92
    echastee92 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Weight gain doesn't happen that suddenly, not the permanent kind. You might be noticing fluctuations in the amount of waste in your body, the amount of water, etc. If you did gain weight, it would have been for stuff you did 1-2 weeks before. Just eating a bunch for a few days takes a while to catch up to you in a lasting way. I am sorry you're feeling this panic and worry. I think as long as you log all your calories, stay below your calorie goal, and try to weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day, naked, you'll be able to get a better idea of your progress. I know how hard it is not to weigh daily. I do fall into that habit but I get discouraged when I do it because of such fluctuations and they have nothing to do with what I've done in the past few days. I only actually "check in" my weight about once a week because I got really discouraged in the past. Then I look at my reports and watch the graph to see my weight IS actually steadily decreasing and it makes me feel A LOT better.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So I went off of plan on Christmas Eve and ate A LOT on Christmas Day. I weighed 6st 13lbs on Christmas Eve and today I weigh 7st 6lbs a gain of 7 lbs! I’ve got straight back on plan today already walked 13,000 steps and I’m working tonight! Do you think my weight will return to normal by next week? I feel like I’ve ruined all of my hard work in one day!!

When you make a choice to go off your plan and eat all the things you need to be prepared to accept the aftermath. Don't step on the scale the day after and freak out that there were consequencrs. Extra waste in your system, water retention will bump up the scale number too. You do not gain or lose 7 lbs of fat in 2 days.
    Just get back to eating and exercising normally. Be patient. Wait a week to weigh yourself
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm up 6.6lbs from last Friday. It is what it is, it should all/ or most hopefully drop off within a week or so.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Your profile says you are a recovering anorexic? How tall are you?

I think you know yourself what is going on and what exactly has transpired from eating over the Christmas holidays. Get back on track with your recovery is all you need to do.

just noticed this as well...also noticed that you still have the mantra of anorexics as your tag line...do you have a treatment team you can get back in touch with?

Didn't notice that I still had that on my profile! I recovered over 2 years ago and I'm absolutely fine :smile: Thanks though :smile:

You’re “absolutely fine” and yet made this post?

What is with our education system where the idea of water weight and food in ones system is such a foreign and terrifying situation? The amount of adults that freak about this is heart wrenching.
  • rockyhi512
    rockyhi512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't worry...had the same fear after office parties. Lost it 7 lbs after a week of returning to proper food intake levels and exercise. Just make it goal to balance the year out. Good luck
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm up 6.6lbs from last Friday. It is what it is, it should all/ or most hopefully drop off within a week or so.

i panic too much, i swear if i didnt check in and read these stories i'd fail this journey, its a comfort to know the advice given on here
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    So I went off of plan on Christmas Eve and ate A LOT on Christmas Day. I weighed 6st 13lbs on Christmas Eve and today I weigh 7st 6lbs a gain of 7 lbs! I’ve got straight back on plan today already walked 13,000 steps and I’m working tonight! Do you think my weight will return to normal by next week? I feel like I’ve ruined all of my hard work in one day!!

When you make a choice to go off your plan and eat all the things you need to be prepared to accept the aftermath. Don't step on the scale the day after and freak out that there were consequencrs. Extra waste in your system, water retention will bump up the scale number too. You do not gain or lose 7 lbs of fat in 2 days.
    Just get back to eating and exercising normally. Be patient. Wait a week to weigh yourself

This. It's absolutely fine to have days when you go off-plan. However, a part of doing that is also expecting and accepting the usual aftermath and not freaking out about it. Doing the first part without expecting the second is just a recipe for misery. If you don't want the second part, then don't do the first part.