Trainer Issues

Options
I joined a gym approximately 2 months ago and absolutely love the gym so with that said they have another company EFT that does personal training. Last Wednesday I signed up and paid all my dues up front and scheduled an appointment for the following day. That appointment was cancelled which I understood because the trainer said he had already made previous engagements and that we'd reschedule for another day. I rescheduled for Monday and then I get another call stating that he couldn't train anyone due to doctor's orders and he was very apologetic and asked if we could do it Wednesday and he'd make up for the missed sessions and cancellations.
So Wednesday comes around and I'm all excited/nervous only to have him be a no call no show. I spoke with the gym and they advised me they're having issues with EFT and took down all my information. Now I'm supposed to have the GM of the gym and a representative from corporate EFT call me today. They did inform me that the trainer I've signed up with is a great person and typically has a great record of being there but unfortunately he's undergoing some heart issues at the moment.

I'm not sure what to say/ask at this point should I just let the cancellations go and focus ahead or tell EFT I want a trainer there tonight or just ask for a refund? I haven't had a single session yet and it's been a week of just cancellations. Should I be more patient and understanding?

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    If they are having trouble with this company, maybe ask for a refund until they are able to get another company or get the situation straightened out. Even if he has a good record, if he's having medical issues he may not be available as much as he would like.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I agree with nellie.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    get your money back if you can, and ill teach you everything you need to know for free.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It's tough to be pragmatic when someone else is going through a difficult situation, but his medical concerns are not your problem. If he can't do his job, tell them to either find someone else or give you a refund.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been pushing myself well at the gym and feel comfortable working on my own. Biggest reason I wanted a trainer was to look at my form and assist me using the correct form. I've tried looking at YouTube video's and stuff but just don't feel comfortable (more of a mental block) using free weights so I resort to only using machines which isn't the best thing.

I've learned a lot since I've been here and felt silly spending so much on a trainer just to learn form but I was hoping they'd help me maximize my workouts to get the best results possible. I've gained a lot of muscle but I haven't lost a lot of weight.

I'm currently doing 1 hr of cardio on the elliptical and then 30-45 minutes worth of strength training which consist of moderate weights 3 sets 25 reps with 30 - 45 second breaks between sets.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've been pushing myself well at the gym and feel comfortable working on my own. Biggest reason I wanted a trainer was to look at my form and assist me using the correct form. I've tried looking at YouTube video's and stuff but just don't feel comfortable (more of a mental block) using free weights so I resort to only using machines which isn't the best thing.

I've learned a lot since I've been here and felt silly spending so much on a trainer just to learn form but I was hoping they'd help me maximize my workouts to get the best results possible. I've gained a lot of muscle but I haven't lost a lot of weight.

I'm currently doing 1 hr of cardio on the elliptical and then 30-45 minutes worth of strength training which consist of moderate weights 3 sets 25 reps with 30 - 45 second breaks between sets.

Why such high reps? If your goal is strength, use a lower rep range.

Re: being your own trainer, pick up Starting Strength. It will teach you more than most trainers about good form and intelligent strength training programming. Certainly it will be better than youtube videos.

You will eventually find yourself at a point where you will want a coach's input, but finding a good trainer is hard, and doing your own homework (by reading good books rather than muscle mags and such) will help you find one.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If it were me and seeing as how we both go to the same gym I would asked to be reimbursed for the inconvenience issues.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You should do your weight training before cardio. You should drop your reps down. If you can do 25 of anything then you don't have enough weight on there. At max you should be shooting for maybe 12 but if you want to see some strength gains over just endurance you should be loading up heavy enough to where your reps would be around 8 or 6.

Also, get your money back and find someone else.
  • dmprice17
    dmprice17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    get your money back and find a work out partner to help you on the way, i have had same trouble with gym i joined and my sessions were expired due to trainer not showing up for different reasons
    lost some money but lesson learned in process, i never regret the training i did receive yet i wished i did not go through a gym which did an automatic bank withdraw for services, instead i wished i found a personal trainer from word of mouth, references or from any other source, so good luck
    will try again in fall but i have enjoyed taking summer off ( swimming, walking and riding bikes )
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was doing high weight and 3 sets of 12-15 reps (last set would be about 1/2 that as I'd be pushing it pretty hard) and was told to change it by the Manager of the personal trainers.
    I'm not trying to bulk up just want to lose weight. I'm at 279 now and have 109 lbs to lose.

I'm going to take a look at the material you mentioned. I'm just waiting for them to call me but it sounds like it would be best to just get a refund and keep pushing myself like I have been and read up some to better myself.

Thanks for the advice.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd ask for another trainer, set an appointment for early next week, but tell the manager, if that trainer cancels, you'll be seeking a refund.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Dude, you are not going to bulk up like you think you would just by heavy weights. If you busted your *kitten* lifting heavy as you could with low reps AND ate a calorie surplus of +500 your TDEE AND did just low maintenance cardio AND got plenty of sleep then you might be able to add 15 pounds of lean muscle mass a year.

Please don't take this the wrong way but use your fatness tobyour advantage while you can. At this point you can lift HEAVY while being on a calorie deficiet and see plenty of weight loss and strength gains at the same time. This won't be the case when you start getting closer to your ideal weight. At that point you"ll be trying to lose weight and working harder than ever just to maintain your lean muscle mass. Your at a point right now where you an have your cake and eat it too. Don't waste it.

Don't be afraid to lift heavy. Having more lean muscle mass on requires your body to burn more calories just resting to maintain it. It's your friend. It's a win win situation. Your will drop so much more weight faster by lifting heavy and busting your *kitten* at cardio. It will even help you avoid the flappy extra skin you will get when dropping that much weight.

And seriously, are you going I trust the manager of the PTs that can't even get a pt to show up for a session? Go and find someone independent by word of mouth and I bet try are going to tell you te same thing I'm telling you here. Hell, just to out and do some independent research on the web.

Also, reach out to the people in your gym. If you see a guy doing a certain thing then don't be afraid to ask him to watch your form. Ask them for suggestions, ask them any questions you have. As long as you are in there working your *kitten* off day in and day out then those fit guys in the gym will see that, respect you, and WANT to help you out and see you succeed. Good luck man.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I was doing high weight and 3 sets of 12-15 reps (last set would be about 1/2 that as I'd be pushing it pretty hard) and was told to change it by the Manager of the personal trainers.
    I'm not trying to bulk up just want to lose weight. I'm at 279 now and have 109 lbs to lose.

I'm going to take a look at the material you mentioned. I'm just waiting for them to call me but it sounds like it would be best to just get a refund and keep pushing myself like I have been and read up some to better myself.

Thanks for the advice.

The best way to train for bulking or weight loss = heavy weight, low reps.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Usually it's the women we have to convince that they are not going to "bulk up" on a deficit... If this is a serious worry for you, perhaps stick to endurance training only.
  • bumblebums
    Options

Thanks for the advice.

I cannot even begin to understand this sentence.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    It's tough to be pragmatic when someone else is going through a difficult situation, but his medical concerns are not your problem. If he can't do his job, tell them to either find someone else or give you a refund.

pretty much this.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    If he's having health problems it's not his fault he's having to miss so much, but it's not your burden to bear, either. Get your money back and use a different trainer. If it were me, if he got well and came back and I found myself in need of a trainer, I would give him another shot because I've been in that situation. It's miserable when you want to be responsible but can't be because of your health.
  • bumblebums
    Options

Thanks for the advice.

I cannot even begin to understand this sentence.

How can you not understand that? Are you dumb or something? I'm pretty sure you said the same thing as I did further up.

Strength Training (low reps, heavy weight) is ideal for cutting and bulking.

Well, it is possible that I am dumb, of course. Unlikely, but possible. You, however, seem to be confusing a matter of intake (cutting, bulking) with how one trains for strength gains vs. hypertrophy and endurance.
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Wow I can cut and bulk at the same time? That's magic

Agh no that's not right

This is

Quote....
    . You, however, seem to be confusing a matter of intake (cutting, bulking) with how one trains for strength gains vs. hypertrophy and endurance.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

How can you not understand that? Are you dumb or something? I'm pretty sure you said the same thing as I did further up.

Strength Training (low reps, heavy weight) is ideal for cutting and bulking.

Wow, did you just call BB dumb and say what I bolded for you? Earlier today you told a guy that is experiencing a weigh loss stall netting 1200-1400 calories that he's over-eating if he's not losing weight. You also told him that you can't burn fat and build muscle at the same time. Seems like you're ether confused or don't really know what you're saying. Either way, calling someone that does know what their talking about 'dumb' is making you look worse.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1062556-does-overtraining-slow-the-metabolism