Running

Anyone else not able to run also no matter how much you try? I would love to be able to do 5k and other things but I can’t run at all. I’ve only tried doing one 5k and my time was 55 min. I tried doing the c25k a few years ago and couldn’t get past the 1st day. Every time I try running my chest hurts, I feel like I’m dying and I can’t do it longer than 30 seconds-1 min. I’m slowly reaching 40 so I should probably just give up that I’ll ever be able to run!!

Replies

• Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Yes! Please go see a doctor and get a stress test. There's a difference between being winded and in pain.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I was in a similar boat so I'll give you a few pointers that have worked for me.

1. Do C25K but do it more slowly. Drag it out. Do custom intervals if that doesn't work. Maybe start out with a 5 minute warm up walk then do intervals of running for 15 seconds then walking for 30. Repeat and then do a cool down walk. Do this 3 times in a row and make sure to rest at least a day in between. Keep it up and increase interval times until you begin to impress yourself. I quit C25K twice and I attribute it to going to quickly both times. I set up a 32 week program to keep me running and the intervals progress so slowly that I'm seeing real progress in between and it's keeping me motivated longer than I've ever stuck with it.
    2. Get good shoes. Always a must.
    3. Try walking intervals on a treadmill if you have that option. I like doing one minute at a higher pace followed by a minute at a comfortable pace (not slow necessarily, just comfortable). It's not only increased my speed running but also my endurance.
    4. What @stanmann571 said! Don't try to do an all out run. Do a job and keep it at a comfortable pace. If you're like me, there is a chance that old people will pass you. Just keep going.
    5. Keep pushing. You'll be amazed at how much easier it gets once you start doing it. As your aerobic fitness increases, your chest will hurt less, you'll get faster, and you'll go longer.
    6. Check with your doctor (seriously) to make sure the chest pain isn't an issue and you are safe to really start running.
    7. STRETCH when done with each run / walk outing. It really makes a heck of a difference.
    8. Headphones that are comfortable and loud enough to drown yourself out. Hearing yourself huff and puff makes you feel more tired than you really may be and also makes you self conscious. You don't need that.
    9. Vary it up! Do your runs in different places or take different paths. Make sure you include hills, even though they suck pure a** when you're just starting.
    10. There's a nagging pain in my calf that I first thought was a prelude to a cramp. It's not. It's just my calf's way of screaming bloody murder at me. If you get that, know and realize what's leading to a cramp and what's not. Keep pushing if it's not. If it's a cramp, up your magnesium and electrolytes.
    11. Above all else, know your excuses for not doing it and work around them. It helps to list them out - seeing them in writing makes them more real. Then, write down ways to get around them. You can be your worst enemy.

Beyond that, just go do it!!!

Yes, Definitely get checked out and make sure that the soreness is just weakness leaving the body and not something to be concerned with.

Also, I totally forgot the shoes, probably because I was thinking about chest pain and not knee/ankle pain.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    In addition to all the good tips above, i reiterate that you should work on walking first. When you can walk 45 min at a brisk pace, begin c25k. I started c25k at age 60 and ran 1 mile for my 61st birthday. Its still not my favorite thing to do, but I can run all of a 5k for the first time in my life.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited December 2017
    Walk/ hike for a while. After a few weeks, throw a running interval in every 5-10min or so. I’m talking like 30sec. And every week work on increasing the interval frequency and or duration. Before you know it, you’ll be running the entire thing. Hop on the bike for some bonus cross training. It’ll help.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Walk/ hike for a while. After a few weeks, throw a running interval in every 5-10min or so. I’m talking like 30sec. And every week work on increasing the interval frequency and or duration. Before you know it, you’ll be running the entire thing. Hop on the bike for some bonus cross training. It’ll help.

This^^^ You should be able to go out and walk at a brisk pace for three miles without being winded before adding running. Just to be safe you should check with a doctor too. I can remember going on a hike and at the 1/4 mile mark was breathing heavy, now I call a four mile run a short one.
  • Dakhar1
    Dakhar1 Posts: 27 Member
    Will definitely start working on my walking pace and then slowly try adding jogging later on. Thanks for the tips!!
  • BigMo2017
    BigMo2017 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm planning to start running in the new year. Going to buy shoes tomorrow and I've downloaded the c25k app. I'm an absolute beginner but after losing weight last year I want to improve my general fitness this year. There's a local 10k in August I was thinking of entering to motivate me to stick with it, is it realistic to expect to be capable of doing this in that amount of time?
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    edited December 2017
    Dakhar1 wrote: »
    Will definitely start working on my walking pace and then slowly try adding jogging later on. Thanks for the tips!!

I can’t emphasize enough how important it is for you to get checked out by your doctor first before you start any running program. Unless you’re seriously trying to do a full fast run and that’s why your chest hurts, that sounds really concerning to have chest pains after a brief period of exercise. Better to be safe than sorry, that’s for sure.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 1,128 Member
    BigMo2017 wrote: »
    There's a local 10k in August I was thinking of entering to motivate me to stick with it, is it realistic to expect to be capable of doing this in that amount of time?

That should work. After you complete C25K run a few local 5K races. The same people who publish C25K do a Bridge to 10K - same concept. Good luck and have fun!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    I'm planning to start running in the new year. Going to buy shoes tomorrow and I've downloaded the c25k app. I'm an absolute beginner but after losing weight last year I want to improve my general fitness this year. There's a local 10k in August I was thinking of entering to motivate me to stick with it, is it realistic to expect to be capable of doing this in that amount of time?

You definitely can do it! I started C25K at the end of May and ran 10K in September. I'm running a 5K race on Monday and starting half marathon training in a few weeks!
  • BigMo2017
    BigMo2017 Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Got my running shoes today and going to start c25k on New year's Day.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Got my running shoes today and going to start c25k on New year's Day.

I'm buying more shoes today too. Good time of year for it - one of the styles I like is $130 today, regular $190. My old pair of that style is no longer usable for anything but walking - so many aches and pains while wearing them!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Any other work you can do on your aerobic fitness may also help. I was able to do a half hour run after doing interval training on my bike, plus a lot of walking
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited December 2017
    There is a lot of good advice here. <<applause>>

Contrary to what many people think (including many on this forum), running well involves more than just cardio and leg strength. You have to basically teach your body how to run -- let it get used to the motions. This requires muscle memory. It involves training the central nervous system, and there is no other way to do so than to, well, run.

Ideally, it should also involve studying and learning good running form. There are books and videos that can help with that, and I think they're even suitable for beginners.

As pamfgil said, having aerobic fitness will help. So will leg and core strengthening. Gyms are filled with strongme and cardio enthusiasts who can't run worth spit though, so ultimately, you have to actually hit the pavement or trails. Good for you for doing so.
  • maanderson2014
    maanderson2014 Posts: 1 Member
    I can't seem to make any progress with jogging either....even at 4mph, I can't do more than two minutes at a time. I've tried C25K and as soon as it wants you to put together more than 2 minute intervals, I am lost. I can walk a 5K in 45 minutes and can ride my bike for more than an hour plus at a time, but anything resembling jogging just brings me to a screeching halt so fast. I am not sure what to do....
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Go slower.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    I can't seem to make any progress with jogging either....even at 4mph, I can't do more than two minutes at a time. I've tried C25K and as soon as it wants you to put together more than 2 minute intervals, I am lost. I can walk a 5K in 45 minutes and can ride my bike for more than an hour plus at a time, but anything resembling jogging just brings me to a screeching halt so fast. I am not sure what to do....

Have you seen your doctor?
  • mcclarykb
    mcclarykb Posts: 6 Member
    I run as slow as a turtle going through peanut butter but I move. I also do a walk /run interval. I base that on the Jeff Galloway method. The walk breaks help to not cause injury. Also, you can do a 5k walking it. It is all about the finish.