Favorite vegan recipies

SPowell1989
SPowell1989 Posts: 10 Member
Im newly vegan, only been vegan for about 3-4 weeks. It was really easy to give up the meat but the dairy has been hard.
To help keep me in check ive been trying to find new and good recipies. Ive had a few failures most have been successful tho.
So how about a helping hand? What are some of yalls favorite vegan dishes?

Replies

• SmallBean2822
    SmallBean2822 Posts: 3 Member
    I really like beans, there are lots of vegan recipes that use beans, for example, soups, tacos, burgers, salad, pasta, etc.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I am not vegan, but one of my favorite dishes is Egyptian Koshary.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    This is a great Cauliflower Soup recipe I've enjoyed several times. Milk is optional, which I don't use... and the soup is low-cal and still very creamy without it. https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/creamy-cauliflower-soup/
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    This is a great Cauliflower Soup recipe I've enjoyed several times. Milk is optional, which I don't use... and the soup is low-cal and still very creamy without it. https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/creamy-cauliflower-soup/

Thanks for sharing. I am going to try this later this week. ;)

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,214 Member
    You asked for it! Here are my all-time favorites that are in a constant rotation at my house:

COWBOY CAVIAR

Into a large mixing bowl:

2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can drained)
    1 can white sweet corn, drained
    2 roma tomatoes, diced
    2 avocados, diced
    1 bunch green onions, tops only, chopped

Vinaigrette:

¼ cup Avocado Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

Whisk vinaigrette together, pour over veggies and stir to combine.

VEGETARIAN CHILI

1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
    1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp chix bullion powder (vegan)
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1 tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Bring everything to a boil and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 minutes.

RATATOUILLE HOAGIE

Dice & saute up in a little olive oil:

1 eggplant
    1 zucchini
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic, minced

Once everything is getting fairly cooked, add in a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Season with salt & pepper, basil and parsley. I like to toast hoagie buns, load them with this, add (vegan) mozzarella and put under the broiler for just a minute - until the cheese is melted.

AVOCADO TOFU SANDWICH

Baked Tofu: Press & drain 1 block firm tofu. Cut into 4 "patties". Brush on mixture of soy sauce and liquid smoke, then sprinkle on garlic powder, salt & pepper. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Flip and bake additional 15 minutes.

Avocado "mayo": Mash 1 avocado and combine with 1 T red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley. Use this in place of mayo.

Serve in a pita with a slice of tomato and lettuce.

VERY VEGGIE “SPAGHETTI”

2 Tbsp Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or regular EVOO)
    1 Onion, diced
    10 oz jar sliced Mushrooms
    2 cloves Garlic, minced
    2 large Zucchini, shredded in food processor
    2 large Carrots, shredded in food processor
    1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce, no salt added
    1 can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes, no salt added - DO NOT DRAIN
    2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
    2 Tbsp Flaxmeal
    1 Tbsp dried Basil
    1 Tbsp dried Parsley
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Nutritional Yeast (optional)

Saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic until translucent, then stir in the remaining ingredients and heat through.

Using a julienne peeler, make a huge mound of raw carrot or zucchini "pasta"...then top it with very veggie sauce.

DEVILISH CHICK SPREAD

3 cups chickpeas, cooked
    1 cup vegan mayonnaise (Vegan Planet recipe)
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    Season Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons finely chopped chives

Combine everything except chives in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse on and off until the mixture is nicely melded, but don’t puree—leave a little texture. Add the chives through the feed tube and pulse on and off a few times to whirl in

THREE BEAN SALAD

1.5 cups cooked kidney beans
    1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
    2 cups cooked green beans
    1/2 white onion, finely diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced

Dressing:

2 T olive oil
    2 T apple cider vinegar
    parsley, salt & pepper to taste

Mix dressing, stir in beans, onion and bell pepper and let marinate for at least 2 hours.

QUINOA VEGGIE PLATE

Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vegan chix bouillion (optional)
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce:
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
    Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning

Directions
    Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add vegan chix flavored bullion, if desired. After boiling, stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 8 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top each one with 1/2 tsp of nutritional yeast.

*To speed this up, you can substitute your favorite pasta sauce for the sauce recipe.

LOADED BAKED SWEET POTATO

(ingredients listed tops 2 sweet potatoes):

Combine 1/4 cup beans (red, black, white, pinto...your choice), 1 diced tomato, 1/2 diced onion, 1 tablespoon ground flax, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix it all up and top the sweet potatoes.

I usually just stab the potatoes with a fork several times and microwave them for 10 minutes and they turn out perfect!

STIR-FRY SAUCE

I heat up a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies, 1 can of chinese veggies (drained), 1 can of water chestnuts (drained), then pour the following sauce. I know stir-fry is supposed to be quick-cooking, but after I pour my sauce on, I like to keep it on the heat for about 5 minutes, stirring the sauce around and letting it soak in to the veggies.

Whisk together:

1 tsp ginger
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tbsp light agave
    4 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp ponzu sauce
    1 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp corn starch

TOFUNA

Baked Tofu
    Press a block of Lite Firm Tofu to remove as much water as possible. Cut into 4 "patties". Spray a baking sheet with EVOO. Mix together 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 tsp liquid smoke. Brush onto both sides of the patties, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Flip over and bake additional 15 minutes. When they are cooled, I roughly break them up and pulse them in my food processor. Put into a mixing bowl and add:

1 celery stalk, finely diced
    1/2 cup vegan mayo (Vegan Planet recipe)
    3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    salt & pepper to taste

Mix thoroughly and thoroughly enjoy!

My favorite “comfort food” recipe…I love to add LOTS of pepper flakes on mine!

PEANUT NOODLES

1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    Red pepper flakes (optional)

In a saucepan, heat water, soy sauce, ginger and vinegar on medium-low heat. When warm, add peanut butter. Allow it to melt a couple minutes, then use a whisk to smooth it out. Just before pouring over cooked pasta, turn off heat and whisk in the sesame oil. Pour over 16 oz cooked whole wheat pasta. Sprinkle on red pepper flakes.

TANGY LENTIL SOUP

1 T Better than Bullion Vegetable Base
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, diced
    2 carrots, diced
    3 T tomato paste
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    6 cups water
    1 ½ cups dried lentils
    2 bay leaves
    1 T dried parsley
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    2 T Dijon mustard

Preparation
    Heat and blend the Better than Bullion base with ¼ cup water in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion, celery, and carrots; saute for 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and minced garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add water, lentils, bay leaves, parsley, salt and pepper; bring mixture to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer mixture for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, discard the bay leaves and stir in Dijon mustard.

2-2-1 Lentil Salad

Vinaigrette:
    2 T. Balsamic Vinegar
    2 T. Dijon
    1 T. Agave
    ½ tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
    4 black pepper grinds

Whisk everything together.

Salad:
    2 cups cooked lentils, drained
    1 small onion, diced
    1 roma tomato, diced
    1 small bell pepper, diced
    1 cup packed spinach leaves, stems removed, chiffonade cut

Stir everything together and enjoy!

CROCK POT POTATO SOUP

2.5 lbs potatoes diced into ½” pieces
    1 small yellow onion diced.
    5 cups water
    2 tblsp McKays vegan chicken seasoning
    1 tsp seasoned salt
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 tub vegan cream cheese

Put everything except cream cheese in the crock pot and stir. Cook on low 10 hours or high for 5 hours. Remove the bay leaf. Using an immersion blender, blend up the soup as creamy as you prefer. Stir in the cream cheese and allow the heat to melt it.

Makes about 6 to 7 servings

GRANDPA RV’S GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP

Ingredients:

1 pound Great Northern beans
    1 large diced onion
    2 sliced celery stalks
    3 sliced carrots
    2 bay leaves
    6 T McKay’s vegan chix powder (this brand is not strong flavored or salty – you might need less, depending on your brand)
    1 T liquid Hickory smoke
    Salt & Pepper to taste (when serving)

Directions:

Soak the Great Northern beans overnight, rinse them, then put in a 4-qt slow cooker.

Add the remaining ingredients. Heat water in a tea kettle on the stove and pour it over everything, filling to the top of the cooker.

Set it on low for about 9 hours.

Salt & Pepper to taste.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    I like the cauliflower buffalo wings from hotforfood

https://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2014/2/11/cauliflower-buffalo-wings

There's not really any protein, so you'd perhaps need to address that if you're having it as a full meal.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Noocho "cheese" sauce
    I'm not vegan but this sauce...
    It's a potato, a couple carrots boiled, some of the boiling liquid, nooch, tumeric, acv, Dijon. It's bright orangy yellow like nacho cheese sauce, but a little tangy. We eat it with chips, in burritos, over broccoli.....it freezes well. My kids love it.

We also love a "bechemel" vegan lasagna. The sauce is with cashews and you load it with veg noodles and marinara sauce.

Minestrone soup or creamy tomato soup thickened with bread.

Cauliflower Tikka masala with coconut milk instead of dairy. I add peas and diced tomatoes.
    Serve on rice, quinoa, or bulgar.

Black bean and rice (or potato) enchiladas with the cashew bechemel and a couple chiplote Chilies added to the red sauce. Avocado mango sasla on top. Omg.

These are some of mine and my girls favorites.
    Sorry I'm bad with recipe info. I tend to read a recipe and then go my own way, yay for Google.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,865 Member
    If I have vegans over I make one of the following

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/di-san-xian-chinese-sauteed-potato-eggplants-and-green-peppers/
    serve with rice

https://norecipes.com/kakiage-recipe
    serve with udon noodles in mushroom/seaweed broth

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/9558-takeout-style-sesame-noodles
    serve with cold boiled spinach
  • nandistokely
    nandistokely Posts: 2 Member
    Best Veggie Burgers Ever

Original Recipe
    https://www.embodyfitnessandnutrition.com/blog/copycat-crispy-quinoa-vegefi-burgers

Ingredients:
    • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
    • 1 cup uncooked small green lentils
    • 1 medium onion, chopped
    • 1 medium zucchini, shredded
    • 2 medium carrots, shredded
    • 12 baby bella mushrooms, finely minced
    • 2 cups red wine
    • 1 cup vegetable broth
    • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
    • 2 cups plain panko breadcrumbs
    Salt, pepper, garlic, onion, herbs, etc
    I cook with Smart Balance or Kerrygold.

Directions:
    1. In a medium-size saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add the lentils, turn heat to low and cover. Cook for 35 minutes, or until lentils are soft and water is absorbed. Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Rinse the quinoa well before adding to the boiling water. Turn heat to low, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until the water is completely absorbed. Set the quinoa and lentils aside to cool.
    2. In a sauté pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of butter on medium and add the onion. Cook until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the zucchini, carrot and mushrooms. Continue cooking until softened, giving it the occasional stir. Season to taste. Remove from heat and transfer the vegetables to a mixing bowl to cool.
    3. Pour the wine and broth into the same sauté pan and bring to a slow rolling boil. Don't forget salt, pepper, and herbs. Cook until reduced to 1/3 of a cup. Add the wine reduction and the cheese, if using, to the vegetable mixture. Then stir in 2 cups of cooked lentils, 2 cups of cooked quinoa and the breadcrumbs. Transfer half of the mixture into a blender and puree. Spoon the puree back into the mixing bowl and stir until evenly combined.
    5. Pour the remaining cooked quinoa onto a cookie sheet. Use a rubber spatula to spread it into a thin layer. Form the vegetable mixture into 8 patties. Firmly press each patty onto the cooked quinoa layer. Flip the patties over and repeat. Then, gently press the palm of your hand around the edges and over the sides of each patty to ensure that the quinoa completely coats the patties in a thin layer. Brush off any excess.
    6. Clean the sauté pan, heat the butter over medium high heat and cook the patties individually, 3-5 minutes per side. Use a thin spatula to gently flip the patties. Cook until both sides are golden brown. Add a slice of cheese if using, and cover the pan until the cheese melts. I suggest an open faced sandwich with sharp cheddar and Dijon mustard.

Yields 8 burgers

You can make the patties and freeze them. Just defrost and cook as usual.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Not a vegan but one of my favorites is tofu over cold noodles with spicy peanut sauce. I've been making it for so long that I don't actually look at a recipe, just kind of wing it. And amounts of various ingredients can pretty much vary with your preference and what you have on hand:

I like to use a firm or extra firm tofu and press it to get water out and fry it until it's a little crisp (or buy a pre-grilled or pre-baked tofu). Cut in strips. You could substitute "chick'n" or other faux meat products (Tofurkey makes a roasted "chick'n" that would be good here).

I use any kind of noodles: soba, cellophane ("glass" or mung bean), rice, ordinary fettucine, linguine, penne, whatever. I suppose you could even use spiralized veggies, if that's your thing. Cook if needed (glass noodles only need to be soaked), drain, rinse in cold water, add a little toasted sesame oil or a neutral flavored oil to keep it from sticking as it cools. Depending on how cold you like your noodles, you could stick them in the fridge for a bit, but I prefer them more room temperature.

Sauce needs peanut butter (I prefer the taste of a no-sugar-added PB, but if all you have is a PB with sugar, it should be fine. Traditionally you would add a little sweetener anyway); soy sauce, you could substitute Bragg's amino acids; vinegar (e.g., Chinese red vinegar, red wine vinegar, sherry vinegar, malt or apple cider vinegar -- I wouldn't use balsamic or plain white vinegar); hot oil (la you) -- but sometimes I substitute a hot pepper sauce like Tabasco; and a small amount of sesame oil for flavor (omit if you don't have it, or you could substitute almond or hazelnut oil -- I wouldn't use olive oil or a neutral flavored oil -- I guess if you're a coconut oil fan, it might work here).

Personally I use about 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter per person, and more vinegar than soy sauce (maybe twice as much, although it depends a little on how strongly flavored the vinegar is) with amounts adjusted for taste as well as to achieve a pourable consistency for the sauce. The hot oil or hot sauce and sesame oil are used in pretty small amounts, just to taste -- start with a half teaspoon sesame oil and maybe an eighth of a teaspoon of hot oil or hot sauce per person and adjust to taste.

Optional veggies: I like strips of bell peppers and/or cukes sliced in coins, both raw (although you could fry or grill/bake the peppers with the tofu). You could use pretty much any veggie you like: cherry tomatoes, cold roasted brussels sprouts, cabbage, onions, asparagus, green beans -- whatever you happen to like. Cucumbers are nice for cutting the heat of the sauce.

Whether you put it all on a serving plate or plate individual servings, start with the noodles as a base, top with tofu and veggies, and then drizzle peanut sauce on top.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Oh, and here are a couple of things I blogged about after I came up with them a few years back so I wouldn't forget what I did (in the first one you can substitute vegan "cheese" or omit cheese -- I've found Daiya to be fine on pizza,
    where it's melted and there are strong flavors, so I would think it would work here under similar circumstances):

Chiles Rellenos

I roasted two chiles (one poblano, one Hatch) and stuffed them with a mixture of soaked bulgur, canned pumpkin, and roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas). Dipped them in a little egg white (you could use a little unsweetened nondairy "milk" or a vegan egg substitute or aquafava, a.k.a. bean soaking water) and dredged them in a mixture of sprouted whole grain flour (regular flour would be fine), salt, and ground cumin. Fried them in corn oil, topped them with spicy (fra diavolo) tomato sauce and a little shredded cheese (substitute vegan cheese or omit), and heated everything in the microwave until the tomato sauce was hot and cheese was melted (if you're not using vegan cheese, you could just heat the tomato sauce before spooning it on the chiles).

About 500 calories, 12 grams of fiber, 18 grams of protein (I already had plenty of protein for the day heading into dinner, but needed more fiber for the day).

Smoked almond hummus tacos

Red kidney beans cooked until tender, flavored with a bay leaf (or use canned kidney beans)

Smoked almond butter (you can make your own by putting smoked almonds in a food processor until they turn to "butter" -- have patience and faith, it will happen -- one moment it's almond meal, then suddenly it's paste, and in just a few more seconds it's a creamy butter)

Garlic, chopped and sauteed slightly in olive oil to take the raw edge off

Chipotle tabasco sauce

Run all the above ingredients through a food processor, leaving just a little chunky. (Proportions are up to you; I used a good bit more beans than almond butter.)

Spoon into heated crunchy taco shells, dust with smoked paprika, and top with shredded cabbage.

Time to make those again, as I made some smoked almond butter on hand. I wonder how black-eyed peas (leftovers from New Year's Day) would taste in place of the red kidney beans? And soft shells in place of crunchy? And collards in place of cabbage? (Great new dishes come from working with what you have on hand and making substitutions.)
  • kitzykarly
    kitzykarly Posts: 32 Member
    One of my recent favorites is Chana masala from minimalist baker. It's inherently vegan and so dang tasty! Throw in some rice or roti and it's an awesome meal!
    https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-chana-masala/

Another was using my bf's Peruvian chicken marinade, but I used it on firm tofu.
    1 tbsp oil
    2 tbsp water
    1/4 cup lime juice from 2 limes
    4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    1 tbsp salt
    2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp maple syrup/agave/sugar

Drain and cut tofu block into 8 pieces and put back in container. Pour marinade over, use fork to separate pieces slightly so marinade can get in between. Stick in fridge. I marinated for about 6-7 hours, but could probably just do an hour.
    Heat up pan on med/med-high, throw on tofu slabs for about 5-8 mins per side. Can pour a little leftover marinade over it, but a little char on it is very tasty, while still keeping the middle creamy.
    *Next time I'm going to try less salt and no maple syrup, maybe no oil. It was still pretty low-cal and tasty nonetheless.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I'm not vegan (or veggie) but sometimes cook it for my friends

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7767/butternut-squash-and-sage-risotto
    (swap butter for olive oil, lose the Parmesan and I sometimes add petite pois)

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/minados-perfect-sushi-rice-119373
    I love avocado and black poppy seed veggie sushi. I also have stir fried carrots, asparagus, peppers and other veg with teriyaki marinade as sushi fillings.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/thai-prawn-squash-pineapple-curry
    (axe the prawns and fish sauce, use veggie stock and I use Thai Taste red curry paste which is vegan)
    http://www.thaitaste.co.uk/products/view/curries-for-all-tastes-pastes-kits-sauces/red-curry-paste-gang-ped

All are pretty awesome :)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    I cook vegetarian and vegan a lot for my wife and kids (who on any given day want to be like Mummy). I do eat meat.

the Oh She Glows series are great: ohsheglows.com
    We have two of the cook books and cook many dishes out of them

We also love to cook Sichuan and love the Fuschia Dunlop books. Of course, I would modify anything that has meat.

Thai and Indian are also very easy to cook vegetarian or vegan (though must remember about fish sauce...seems obvious though...same with Worcestershire sauces)

I have many posts in the various recipe threads that include pictures of the various dishes.

As an aside one thing I don't like to cook is "mock" meats. I don't need to try and make a meat dish vegetarian. The one exception is vegetarian chili where I do use TVP.
  • coffeebean92
    coffeebean92 Posts: 41 Member
    I follow Dr. Mcdougall high carb low fat way of eating. He is very awesome you should check him out. He has books, lectures and lots of recipes. His plan is great for Reversing disease and weight loss. Here's his recipe index and a few good blogs:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/mcdougall-recipes/

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipe-index/

https://www.rawtillwhenever.com/recipes/