Options
Stephdawn78
Stephdawn78 Posts: 9 Member
If I start lifting weights what pound should I lift and how many reps

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Do some research. Check out this thread for one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1

I took out books on strength training from the library and eventually bought this one. I want to mention that I don't belong to a gym and do not have a reliable spotter. Since lifting heavy can be dangerous (or even fatal!) if you run into problems and there's nobody around, and since I was a total newb (and still don't consider myself expert), I opted for light dumbbells, body-weight, and some exercises that require additional equipment—stability ball and cardio step are the major ones. I also have ankle weights and a couple of smaller (7" rubber and Nerf soccer) balls.

The book in the link includes multiple workouts for each major muscle/muscle group and has three sample full-body workouts at the back. She doesn't go past 12lb dumbbells, but I've been going a little higher on my own. I'm up to 15s on a few of them and will probably be getting 20s in the not-so-distant future.

The sets and reps vary by exercise, but here's an example for the front squat with weights:

Level 1: 3lb dumbbells, 10 reps, 1-2 sets
    Level 2: 5-8lb dumbbells, 12-15 reps, 1-2 sets
    Level 3: 10-12lb dumbbells, 8-12 reps, 1-3 sets

So, my first week, I did one set of 10 with the 3lb dumbbells. My second week, I did 2 sets. In week three, I did one set of 10 with the 3lbs and one set of 12 with the 5lbs. And so on, every week either increasing the reps, the weights, or the number of sets.

I work out three days a week. If it ever happens that on the third day, I'm still struggling with the new load, I stay at that level for another week. And if I find I'm getting bored with an exercise, I'll take another one from the book (for the same muscle) and try that. So, I've been doing biceps "21s" with 12lbs for a while and I'm not ready to take that up to 15, but I needed a change. So I'm now doing biceps curls with one foot resting on a stability ball (this week it's one set of 10 with 3lbs and one set of 12 with 5). It's tricky because I do have some motor coordination issues; not serious enough to be considered a handicap in everyday life, but annoying enough to 1) make this a little harder for me than it might be for someone else and 2) make me feel really accomplished when I finish a set.

For me, this has worked out great. But my strength training goal has always been to strengthen and preserve muscle while losing weight. I'm not currently trying to recomp or bulk and cut. Depending on your fitness goals, you might be looking for something totally different. And if you are planning to lift heavy, the book I'm using is definitely not one for you. But check out the thread above for a program that could be.