Leslie sansone walk at home videos?

Options
I’m just starting back up with my morning workouts. Do you think her videos are good for starting out? I don’t want to jump into something too rigorous and get burned out.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I used them when I was just starting out. They're nice if you're just looking for a bit of activity to help burn calories and I still use them sometimes when the weather is too bad to go out for a walk. But if you have more specific exercise goals in mind they may not be the best choice.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    They are super easy and perfect for a beginner to get the heart rate up a bit... but should probably be mixed up after a while.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options

TorStar80 wrote: »
    They are super easy and perfect for a beginner to get the heart rate up a bit... but should probably be mixed up after a while.

Yeah, that’s the plan. I just haven’t worked out in months, so I need something beginner friendly :/ :
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like them. She also has some that incorporate a resistance band. Try a few and see what you think.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I liked them but had to turn the volume down after a while and turn on my own music - her constant chatter and the actual sound of her voice really got to me after a while, ha ha! I ended up not doing them for long because I don't have enough room in my house unless I moved stuff out of my living room, lol (small house!)
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    They're great for a beginner! I used them to get back into fitness and then moved on to more rigorous work outs.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I use them for cross training, when I want some easy low impact aerobics. I can do the same thing by just putting on some music, but following someone else motivates me to do it longer. The dvd I have has a 1, 2, 3, and 4 mile option.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    I've done them for many,many years. They are safe, effective and fun. There's a group of Leslie fans here on MFP.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I liked them but had to turn the volume down after a while and turn on my own music - her constant chatter and the actual sound of her voice really got to me after a while, ha ha! I ended up not doing them for long because I don't have enough room in my house unless I moved stuff out of my living room, lol (small house!)

Her voice can get a little annoying lol :D:D

Thanks everyone!! <3o:)

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    They are good for beginners or those who maybe have joint/knee issues because they are low impact. I have an ex coworker who did one of her videos every morning and was always ranting and raving about it.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've always liked LS, and some of the workouts are more demanding than others. I've found that you tend to get out of it what you put into it. If you literally "walk" through them and don't put much effort into it, they aren't going to do much for you. But if you are mindful and really attack it, they can be a great workout. I would recommend checking the reviews on Amazon for the various workouts to see which ones seem the most suitable for you. And the ones that have the option to play music only are definitely the best ;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I’m just starting back up with my morning workouts. Do you think her videos are good for starting out? I don’t want to jump into something too rigorous and get burned out.

They would be fine for beginners. I have the 5 Day Slim Down dvd that has 5 workouts plus a warm up and cool down. You can do one "mile" or all of them if you choose. It is easy to follow.
    On You Tube there are more walking workout videos. Jezsica Smith tv has some.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I've always liked LS, and some of the workouts are more demanding than others. I've found that you tend to get out of it what you put into it. If you literally "walk" through them and don't put much effort into it, they aren't going to do much for you. But if you are mindful and really attack it, they can be a great workout. I would recommend checking the reviews on Amazon for the various workouts to see which ones seem the most suitable for you. And the ones that have the option to play music only are definitely the best ;)

thanks! Does anyone have a recommendation for an "intermediate" type of video if you think these are getting to be too easy but you don't want to jump into p90x insanity lol?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Her newest series called "Just Walk" DVDs have a music only option. It's hard to come up with a good variety of music that has that high a BPM pace.

OP - Jessica Smith also has many walking style videos on YouTube.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »

thanks! Does anyone have a recommendation for an "intermediate" type of video if you think these are getting to be too easy but you don't want to jump into p90x insanity lol?

I use a couple websites CollageVideo or TotalFitness DVDs - they list fitness level. That said many Kelly Coffey Meyer DVDs are intermediate: https://www.collagevideo.com/collections/kelly-coffey-meyer

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    They are OK for beginners or those who are out of shape or recovering from an injury, but I got bored with them very quickly.

Also I found the claimed distances to not match up at all with my Fitbit. I know I am short and if I take the same number of steps as someone who is 6 feet tall, I wouldn't cover the same amount of distance as that person. But if you figure a rough estimate of 2000 steps per mile, then getting, say, 2500 steps for a 2-mile "walk" in place doesn't seem right at all.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

As others have mentioned, Jessica Smith is sort of the "next step" from LS. Her warm ups are about the regular pace of an LS workout. In the Walk On video series I have of hers, while she does the regular workout, her mother does a less intense version and another woman does a higher impact version, so it can accommodate pretty much any level. As far as the LS workouts themselves, look for the keywords "fast walking" or "boosted walking" in the descriptions. There's a couple in the Walk Slim LS series that are very intense, so much so I had to stop doing them because they were causing joint problems (which is a bummer, because they were a lot of fun).
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options

Hello. An MFP pal told me about a website called Hasfit. Aerobic and strength workouts as well as yoga and they are free. From beginner to advanced.

I agree with try2again (above) about Jessica Smith. She is on youtube and you can go to her site, Jessica Smith tv and see her workouts to see what would be the best fit for you.