Whey Protein Powder for women

Options
deedzzz
deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
Yesterday while grocery shopping I bought a box of WPP (a mix of isolate and concentrate). It has 100 cal/scoop which are to be dissolved in 6-8 oz of water or milk.

I am not lifting heavy (yet!) but i do exercise -strength training- at least 30 min 5x/week.

Is it advisable for me to have a shake after my workout? Or should I only take protein shakes if i am lifting heavy?

I don't always hit my protein % in my macros, so the shake might fit in (macro and cal daily goal).
Do I take it daily then, 3x/week? or not at all?

Replies

• Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Recovery drinks should have just a bit of protein, in a high glycemic base. Chocolate milk is popular. I like 1/4 scoop vanilla protein powder in a glass of fruit juice with a scoop of pure creatine powder, or a commercial product (I use Perfect Storm, but there are many suitable).

Wait at least one hour after that drink before eating anything else to optimize cell replenishment.

Protein shakes are an excellent way to boost protein intake and can be used with any fitness regimen. You can also mix the powder into oatmeal and other foods.
  • deedzzz
    Options

Exactly what happens if OP decides to drink then eat 20 min later?

LOL!! I think I get the idea, don't drink and eat at the same time! :P

Thanks guys for the input! Highly appreciated!
    I do want to start lifting, however there's no place for the equipment in my tiny apartment, and i am looking for a nice yet affordable gym to go to! Maybe in Fall, once I don't have any excuses about the good weather :D
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Exactly what happens if OP decides to drink then eat 20 min later?

The body won't absorb the protein. Didn't know know where is a very specific window, post workout that you body will optimize cell replenishment?

I thought this was common knowledge.
  • deedzzz
    Options

The body won't absorb the protein. Didn't know know where is a very specific window, post workout that you body will optimize cell replenishment?

Good to know! I will make sure to have a 1h window between shakes and dinner!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Please don't listen to that nonsense. Like MrM27 says, there is no "anabolic window" of 1 hour, and you don't need to wait an hour after your shake to have dinner. The rate of muscle protein synthesis (MPS) is heightened for 24-48 hours after training. Measured using leucine as a marker, about 3.5 grams of leucine is optimal to stimulate MPS, which would equate to 20-30 grams of high quality whey protein. Your body will absorb all of the protein you eat however, for purposes other than MPS.

Bottom line and science aside, use your protein shake, in whatever amount, however you see fit. Certainly you don't have to wait an hour to eat either. Eat right after if you want. If you can't hit your macros with whole food, having a protein shake will just help you get your protein in. There is nothing special or magical about protein shakes and when to have them. Training days, non training days, just hit your macros and caloric goals.
  • deedzzz
    Options
    Great, thanks a lot!
    This is a very helpful answer!
    I do struggle hitting my protein %, so i thought protein shakes would definitely give me an advantage!

good to know it is not only for heavy lifters but also could be taken as meal replacement/supplementation
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is protein powder there is not such thing as a Women only one, it's all marketing bull. Just pick one you like the taste of. My Personal favourite is Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion Probiotic.
  • deedzzz
    Options
    Protein powder is protein powder there is not such thing as a Women only one, it's all marketing bull. Just pick one you like the taste of. My Personal favourite is Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion Probiotic.

I just got one which has 18g protein, 2g sugar, 2g fat /scoop. It is not optimal but it is my first and i am trying out to see which i like best!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Please don't listen to that nonsense. Like MrM27 says, there is no "anabolic window" of 1 hour, and you don't need to wait an hour after your shake to have dinner. The rate of muscle protein synthesis (MPS) is heightened for 24-48 hours after training. Measured using leucine as a marker, about 3.5 grams of leucine is optimal to stimulate MPS, which would equate to 20-30 grams of high quality whey protein. Your body will absorb all of the protein you eat however, for purposes other than MPS.

Bottom line and science aside, use your protein shake, in whatever amount, however you see fit. Certainly you don't have to wait an hour to eat either. Eat right after if you want. If you can't hit your macros with whole food, having a protein shake will just help you get your protein in. There is nothing special or magical about protein shakes and when to have them. Training days, non training days, just hit your macros and caloric goals.

^^This, don't listen to any 30 minute anabolic window garbage. I don't even take whey after I lift because I go home and eat a full meal with plenty of leucine rich protein sources like chicken and beef. If you need whey to hit your daily goal, take it, if not, then you don't need it.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportsnutrition/tp/After-Exercise-Recovery-Food-Drinks.htm

Readable basic info on the principles. The reason for the window is to allow time for transport of nutrients to cells, and reason you don't add other foods is to speed absorption. 1 h is not magical, but it's a common guideline.

Obviously there are some strong opinions on the site. You can experiment on yourself to see what is best for your own body. Light workouts don't really need a recovery drink.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Have the protein whenever you want, there is no time limit or window.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportsnutrition/tp/After-Exercise-Recovery-Food-Drinks.htm

Readable basic info on the principles. The reason for the window is to allow time for transport of nutrients to cells, and reason you don't add other foods is to speed absorption. 1 h is not magical, but it's a common guideline.

Obviously there are some strong opinions on the site. You can experiment on yourself to see what is best for your own body. Light workouts don't really need a recovery drink.

Nice attempt, but you are quoting an online article. Try quoting an actual study to support your claims (Human muscle protein synthesis and breakdown during and after exercise http://jap.physiology.org/content/106/6/2026.full ). Also, the article you reference states 100 - 200g of carbs to replenish glycogen. Studies prove that unless you are an endurance or elite athlete, training the same muscle group multiple times in a day, for longer than 2 hours each session, and with less than 8 hours between sessions, nutrient timing and carb amounts during a specific time window are irrelevant. Muscle glycogen stores will replenish in fed (normal) individuals over 24 hours (Fallowfield, Williams Carbohydrate intake and recovery from prolonged exercise http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.122.2553&rep=rep1&type=pdf ) There is no need for the OP to "carb up" within an hour.

Bottom line, there is a lot of misinformation being thrown around as fact. I don't mean to hijack the OP's original post, but she's asking for help and I'd like to provide the right information in that case.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I take it even on days I don't work out. It isn't easy for me to get in all the protein I need on just food. Some days it is (red meat and salmon days are best!) but I often supplement. Also, yesterday after my workout I went home and ate tons of lamb and a salad instead of a protein shake. I prefer to have protein shakes early in the day. I have lost 35lbs and ZERO lean mass, so my muscles must be getting the protein they need :)

ETA: I use Syntha 6 Strawberry Milkshake, it's AMAZING. It's higher in calories at 190, but totally worth it for the taste!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

This. I just try to find the best tasting ones with the most protein and lowest fat and cals as possible.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options

Nice attempt, but you are quoting an online article. Try quoting an actual study to support your claims (Human muscle protein synthesis and breakdown during and after exercise http://jap.physiology.org/content/106/6/2026.full ). Also, the article you reference states 100 - 200g of carbs to replenish glycogen. Studies prove that unless you are an endurance or elite athlete, training the same muscle group multiple times in a day, for longer than 2 hours each session, and with less than 8 hours between sessions, nutrient timing and carb amounts during a specific time window are irrelevant. Muscle glycogen stores will replenish in fed (normal) individuals over 24 hours (Fallowfield, Williams Carbohydrate intake and recovery from prolonged exercise http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.122.2553&rep=rep1&type=pdf ) There is no need for the OP to "carb up" within an hour.

Bottom line, there is a lot of misinformation being thrown around as fact. I don't mean to hijack the OP's original post, but she's asking for help and I'd like to provide the right information in that case.

To toss a little fuel on the fire:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/

Report from Alan Aragon and Brad Schoenfeld
    1. Pre/post carbs showed no improvement over carbs throughout the day. Nutrient timing carbs does not work.
    2. Pre/post protein showed "some" improvements, but results are spotty and inconclusive.

This is the only real "guideline" presented from the article:
    high-quality protein dosed at 0.4–0.5 g/kg of LBM at both pre- and post-exercise is a simple, relatively fail-safe general guideline that reflects the current evidence showing a maximal acute anabolic effect of 20–40 g

This is only for MAXIMAL gains. If you don't dose protein before and after within a 2-4 hour window it's not going to totally ruin your efforts. Getting your butt to the gym and working out without a protein shake will give you better results than skipping a workout. A less than perfect workout is better than no workout.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP, listen to aakaakaak.

Protein powders are not sex-specific (marketing gimmicks aside). If you want it to be more feminine, buy a regular kind a put a pink bow on it :)

About recovery, here's an interesting read: basically, chocolate milk is pretty damn good. The author of that article, Lyle McDonald, has an entire book on protein (called The Protein Book), portions of which are available on his website. It is accessible and very informative.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html

On why whey: whey protein is the most bioavailable protein in terms of how well and how fast it is absorbed. The old school advice to power lifters is to drink a gallon of milk a day (a.k.a. GOMAD). This aids recovery from heavy lifting and helps one gain the necessary weight. Whey protein is a bit of a convenient shortcut, and possibly a cheaper one, too.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you decide to go on protein and taste after you finish the one you have I would suggest muscle pharm-banana cream. It's delicious and 24g protein, 130 cals.

It works for me when I'm short macros.