Getting back to fitness after cold/flu

To tell the truth I’m still feeling rough, but the fever has broken and my resting heart rate is beginning to fall back down having climbed an extra 20bpm in the last week! I’ve had a bad chesty cold since start of December and it turned into full blown flu over Christmas.

I’m going to wait until I feel more energetic and also that my resting heart rate has stabilised (both obvious points). I was doing regular (2/3 times ow) 5k runs and slowly improving on time before getting ill, is there a recommend path to follow...I’m guessing I just take it slowly, 1k for a week, 2k the next if feeling okay? I’ve come back from colds before and within a few runs I’m pretty much back to normal, I’ve just never been so ill that I’ve not even wanted to move around the house!

Should I also aim for higher levels of protein to help rebuild and recover?

Replies

• Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 266 Member
    I think taking it slow as you come back is, of course, the best thing to do. Don't be surprised if you feel pretty weak at first. As for eating, I think a well balance nutritious eating plan is the thing to do.
  • jon2412
    jon2412 Posts: 61 Member
    Thanks Ann, I’m feeling that this is going to take quite a while to recover from properly....so frustrating!
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 266 Member
    jon2412 wrote: »
    Thanks Ann, I’m feeling that this is going to take quite a while to recover from properly....so frustrating!

I can, for sure, relate. It seems that whenever I get on a fitness role, something comes along to derail it. We just can't let that happen. Let yourself recover and do what you can. You will rebuild.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    It took me months to completely get over the flu(mostly the cough). I started with walking and some lifting, with a lot of rest in between sets. Anything more vigorous would trigger the coughing. I just had to gradually try to add in where I could, taking breaks as needed. You have to listen to your body.