Cold press juicing

Options
I'm just looking for information on cold press juicing. We've recently had a juice bar open up close to me and I've been frequenting it, found that I love it and have been stopping by regularly and actually done several juice fasts. I admit I'm a bit concerned about the loss of fiber - however I've found the juice actually 'moves things along' if you know what I mean. Anyone else juice?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Thinking this might be a helpful link for you to read through.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    What sort of information are you looking for?

I don't juice, I don't find drinking my calories satiating or satisfying (especially a bunch of sugary, fibre less ones) and I'd rather use my carb allowance on real food.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I do do veggie juicing but only add lemon and ginger for flavour masking

And I don't do juice only days, only use it to get more phytonutrients and anti-oxidants. I make my own juice using a twin auger slow horizontal masticating juicer
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If I'm gonna drink my calories it better be wine!

But no, seriously, I prefer to eat the fruit and not juice at all.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP, what are your weight management goals? Gain, lose or maintain weight?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options

Do I juice?? - well, I drink juice now and then

I dont know what is meant by 'cold press juicing' - but I would forget about juice fasts.

If you want to drink juice, home made or bought, as part of your overall diet and within your calorie allowance - fine

But juice fasts - silly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of fruits and veggies, so I see no reason to waste calories on juice regularly. I also don't have much money to spend on unnecessary things, so it would never occur to me to go to a juice bar. I treat myself to OJ with breakfast on occasion and have apple juice after I donate blood. Juice doesn't generally have protein, fat, or fiber which are all important for normal body functions, so it's not something I would want to rely on for any period of time. I will often have green smoothies during the summer as a meal when I'm not very hungry, but those include the fiber and I usually add protein powder and PB.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have a Hurom slow juicer. I love it. I will juice vegetables, and also I make almond milk in it. I have done juice fasts/cleanse in the past but don't do those anymore. The juicer is good for me because I cannot digest that many raw vegetables without distress anymore. I can drink a juice with 4 servings of veg in it, and eat cooked veggies for lunch and dinner. None of my juices are more than 66 calories, and the one that is that caloric is a beet, celery, carrot juice--carrot and beet both are sweet veggies but greens have next to nothing. I rarely juice fruits because the sugar adds up and I'd rather eat the fruit and have less calories, since I'm in the process of losing weight. Juice bars can be an occasional treat, but as others mentioned, if you have fruit in the juices it adds up in ters of calories.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If I'm gonna drink my calories it better be wine!

But no, seriously, I prefer to eat the fruit and not juice at all.

An occasional hot apple cider can be worth the 220 calories... but it's got to be a cold night and I need to have saved up room for them...
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this link - I've read through most of them already. Lots of good info

Thinking this might be a helpful link for you to read through.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Primarily peoples experience with it. I've been replacing mainly my lunch with a 16oz juice from them - 80 calories on average and I stay satisfied. Mostly veggie with a little lemon or ginger for flavoring - some have a little apple. It helps me keep my calories in check
    What sort of information are you looking for?

I don't juice, I don't find drinking my calories satiating or satisfying (especially a bunch of sugary, fibre less ones) and I'd rather use my carb allowance on real food.