How many calories is your breakfast?

Options

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    sometimes i don't eat breakfast (it's ok, really!) and when i do it varies between 150-350 depending on my schedule and anticipated level of activity for the day (will i have exercise calories to eat back? will i be too busy to eat all afternoon?) Daily intake is between 1400-1800 depending on activity.

having read your "i hate eggs" comment... consider this... eating breakfast does NOT have to mean eating breakfast food! How about some chicken or turkey and a handful of veggies like carrots or cherry tomatoes, or a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit? If you like cheese, have the cheese as your protein, don't use it to cover up the taste of something else you don't like. Cheese and apples are awesome together.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I never really eat the same thing for breakfast... Sometimes I don't eat it at all... Today I ate a mini kladdkaka (not actually like chocolate mud cake, wikipedia is a liar) for 150kcal, recipe here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1061818-my-lunch-today-chocolate-mud-cake-kladdkaka?page=1
    But here are some of my various breakfasts (I weigh everything in grams, just fyi):

40g oatmeal (weighed uncooked)
    8g cream
    20g maple syrup
    cinnamon and salt to taste
    240kcal

35g oatmeal
    80g apple (granny smith)
    4g sugar
    salt to taste
    191kcal

60g egg (fried)
    38g bread (one slice)
    20g ketchup
    211kcal

65g baguette
    17g Arla, Bregott (it's like butter, mixed with oil to make it easier to spread)
    15g ham (1 slice)
    4g mayo
    303kcal
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    400-600. Usually in the form of a smoothie & some kind of protein. and then I eat a 200 calorie snack/meal 2 hours later. I prefer to eat more in the morning because I don't like to eat dinner. I consume 85% of my calories by 3:00 so I put a lot into breakfast.
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast makes me sick to my stomach-nausea and diarrhea it's awful but I still force myself because I know how important it is. I usually try to aim for about 150-200 calories. I'll have an egg and a piece of whole wheat toast or an egg and a slice of ham or cheese mixed in. This morning I could only manage a banana and a cup of coffee-I just didn't feel hungry. I've also started eating steel cut oatmeal which is between 150-200 cals depending on what I put in it. This is for a 1200 cals/day plan.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Depends... from 0- 1000 calories for breakfast..
    Today I am just having protein coffee. :)
  • xoxobollywood2
    Options
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    0 cals for me. I'll have a glass of water & that's it. I'm never hungry in the morning, never have been.

Also if you don't like eggs then why are you eating them?
  • krollins21
    Options
    In order to control your hunger throughout the day breakfast is highly important. I shoot for roughly 300 cals in the morning. the most important thing is to get at least 30g of protein in the morning. this will help you stay fuller longer along with keeping your carb/protein ratio in order. 3 carbs for every 1 protein. too many carbs will make you hungrier later. cottage cheese and pineapple is great along with an egg, 'if tolerable' 1/2 cup of cottage cheese is about 15g protein. if still hungry drink plenty of water between bites.
  • ladyeofani
    ladyeofani Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a large variety of foods for breakfast. My breakfasts range from 200 - 400 calories depending on what my goal for the week is. More than the calories I always pay attention to the carb to protein ratio. Obviously the protein will always be high as I need it for recovery after an early morning workout on a nightly fast.

Also I'm going to add.. If you're not a morning person, I strongly suggest a Casein protein shake right before bed. This keeps the metabolism working throughout the night. It's slow digesting and will keep you quite full until around lunchtime. It's pretty important to keep your body functioning, so eating something simple as a yogurt or oatmeal (with milk).
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    2 weetabix with honey and skimmed milk= 250 cal and keeps you full :)
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually 250 to 350 cal. My target without exercise is 1200, but I exercise most days so this goes to about 1500 cal target. I don't always have the same thing (too boring). My favourites are

Porridge wih dried fruit and semi- skimmed milk (about 250 cal)
    1 slice of toast with butter and no added sugar jam (about 300 cal)
    1 slice soda bread with butter & scrambled eggs (about 275)
    1 slice toast with baked tomatoes and mushroom topped with Parmesan cheese (about 225)

As I'm British I always have a cup of tea with breakfast! I also sometimes add some low fat yoghurt if I'm felling like it.

I like to have a lighter breakfast and lunch to save majority of my calories for dinner in the evening. I eat after going to the gym or for a run so always feel pretty hungry then :)
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat about 400-600 calories for each meal. Sometimes on the lower end for breakfast and lunch, and the higher end for dinner. I eat clean whole foods, but my weakness is wine in the evenings. Those cals add up.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    This week my breakfast ranged from 176 calories - 394 calories. I usually try to keep it between 300 and 400 though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    300ish, except days when I'm up early and hungry, then it's more (like the last few days, ugh). My goal is 1700.
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    How many, or what percentage of your daily calories are you eating for breakfast?

I am really struggling with breakfast. Most mornings I have been eating one egg, 2 this slices of lean ham, 1 piece of cheese and a half of a whole wheat flat bread with flax. But I hate eggs, which is why I need the cheese to wash it down. Today I tried making oatmeal, I added 1/8 c. walnuts, some raisins, 1/2 c. 1% milk and 2tsp honey = just under 400 calories which just seems like a lot to consume before 9am when I look at with the 1360 calories I get for the whole day.

I say 200-400 but if im around 200 i get hungry early. If i do eggs and some meat and hit around 400 I say full till lunch time.
  • mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like to have Egg Beaters with non-stick spray and half a wedge of laughing cow cheese. Its creamy, delicious and incredibly low on calories. Its only like 40 or so calories and makes me feel like I had a good breakfast!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    open diary.. breakfast calories vary.. :~)

but i do smoothies a lot or egg

in the winter you'll see oatmeal pop up
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Sometimes 300, sometimes 1000+
  • TonyN7
    TonyN7 Posts: 14
    Options
    Usually around the 300 calorie mark and my daily is 1,500 (20%).
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Depends on my hunger really. I have never been one who loved breakfast and I never feel hungry in the morning. I get up and have 32 ozs of water right off the bat usually, and most of the time I eat 110-150 calories for breakfast but I am working on increasing it so all my calories don't pile up at dinner time because I think it is causing my reflux problems at night. Today I think I had 270 at breakfast? Ideally I would like all my daily calories to be equally spread over 3 meals I think.