7 day fasting safe?

Options
netstar45
netstar45 Posts: 10 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I was thinking of fasting for 7 days. Is this safe? I have 75 lbs to lose. I am 235lbs and my goal weight is 170lbs which is a healthy weight for a 5'11" male. Or should I just do 24 hour fasts. Some say extended fasting is safe for obese people like me, like a bear hibernating;others say it's dangerous. Some say my metabolism will go up when my body realizes how much fat I have, others say my metabolism will go down. How to fast safely? I'm really confused! Edit: my goal is to jump start my weight loss and get rid of food addictions and reset my mind. At least that's some stuff I read on Google. Not sure if it's true or not.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    How does one get the idea that they need to fast for 7 days? I look at it this way, what will actually happen to my body when fasting for 7 straight days and just how uncomfortable and miserable is this and what will this actually accomplish? and then what will happen after the 7-day fast is over and resume eating again?

Why not just stick to a reasonable calorie deficit everyday? You avoid avoid uncomfortable and unnecessary fasting, teaches you how to eat and lose weight in a sustainable and healthy manner and you will learn to make new and better habits leading to successful weight management long term, etc.

That said there are Intermittent Fasting Protocols you can do and will followed appropriately might bring you success, just consider long term eating strategies (the 16:8 is something you can follow long term for example)
    - The 16/8 Method: Fast for 16 hours each day, eat during 8 hour window..
    - The 5:2 Diet: Fast for 2 days per week (low calories (500) for 2 days a week and maintenance calories the other 5)
    - Lean Gains
    - and several others

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, Fasting for longer than a few extra hours a day, is a spiritual and not a physical discipline, and there are very few documentable measurable health benefits.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    Don't fast to lose weight!!!! Fasting has medical benefits, if you are interested in that, seek out a facility that specializes in DOCTOR SUPERVISED fasting, such as Truenorth.

If you want to lose weight:
    1) develop lifelong healthy habits. Things like daily vegetable consumption and exercise.
    2) don't be in a hurry. Long term persistence is key; there is no speedy way to get to where you want to be.

No it really doesn't.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Fasting for such a long period of time isn't necessary - unlike it is for medical reason such as gallstones etc - and it would do more harm than good. It could end up confusing your metabolism, not to mention how exhausted you will be from not eating at all. It also doesn't teach you any healthy habits that could help keep weight off, quick fix diets don't work and a seven day fast isn't safe. A seven day fast may jump start your weight loss, but there is a high chance you'll put the weight on again as you've not given your body any food or the nutrition it needs.

If you are interested in losing weight then I would advise talking to a doctor/nutritionist. A seven day fast isn't a good idea. Maybe give intermittent fasting a try rather than going seven days straight without eating. (I don't do intermittent fasting but I have heard good things about it)