Wisdom teeth removal and weight loss

Options
hippiedippieCOchick
hippiedippieCOchick Posts: 11 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I’m about to get my wisdom test removed tomorrow, and probably won’t be able to eat. Has anyone experienced weight loss after wisdom teeth removal? They’re impacted so the probably things I’ll be able to eat are sugar free jello and applesauce. I’m taking this opportunity to loose the 3 pounds I’ve gained this month.

Replies

• brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I lost like 2-3 pounds after getting my wisdom teeth removed last month. I drank slim fasts everyday making sure to hit at least 800+ calories. Sometimes that was hard with all the sleep and pain I was in.
  • hippiedippieCOchick
    hippiedippieCOchick Posts: 11 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @brittneyalley how long did you hit that calorie goal for? For how long were you out?
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    @brittneyalley how long did you hit that calorie goal for? For how long were you out?

That lasted 7-10 days. I had one of my holes get infected so I couldn’t eat longer than most. I think normally it’s 2-4 days that people mainly eat/drink liquids.

• MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I had my wisdom teeth out (two were impacted), bone from my jaw harvested, and a bone graft done elsewhere in my mouth (didn't swell much but the pain was 11/10)...and I was on to semi-solids (soft scrambled eggs, banana) within a day or two. You need to feed your body for it to heal, and I was starving on day two of applesauce and milkshakes, so I moved to soft solids I could mash a little and swallow without really chewing.
    I wouldn't suggest looking at this as a good way to lose weight, because it's an artificial restriction. If you eat less for a few days, you'll weigh less, and then when you go back to eating a normal amount of food, your weight will likely go back up, just because there's more food inside you being digested, and you might drink more with it to wash it down.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    You could invest in a blender device in order to blend foods and be able to get enough calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to eat normally for 2 weeks... but I was starving, thankfully there were a bunch of things I could eat - protein (or regular) pancakes, protein (or regular) cheesecake, refried beans, mashed potatoes/carrots, ground meat, sausage, soft cheeses, yogurt, scrambled eggs, lukewarm blended soups (just no tomatoes)...
  • kshearer13
    kshearer13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow too! I'm assuming I'll likely counteract some of the calories from the holidays simply because i wont be eating solid foods But also keep in mind that your body is healing and it needs calories to do so. When I had four teeth out for my braces I really didn't lose any weight because for the first day I was really tired, slept all day, but ate lots of pudding. After I started to heal a bit I was tired and in pain but i started to eat more things like soup and mashed potatoes because my body was craving the energy to heal.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has witten a Wisdom Tooth Diet book yet...
    Lose 10 pounds in 3 days.

Not as effective as tapeworms or dysentery.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has witten a Wisdom Tooth Diet book yet...
    Lose 10 pounds in 3 days.

I failed at that one. I had steak and chips for dinner the night I had my last wisdom tooth out.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    It's been a few years, but I had all four cut out at the same time...ate sausage biscuits and a burger the next day. So I wouldn't necessarily count on losing weight from not being able to eat.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I Work in an oral maxillofacial department in a dental school. Not knowing how extensive your surgery will be, most wisdom teeth extractions are nothing out of the ordinary.
    You speak of only eating jello and applesauce. Always a suggestion on our part but typically I suggest mac and cheese, top ramen, grilled cheese sandwich and similar.
    Will you lose weight? Probably not because it is short term healing. Believe me....you will be back to eating but will tell you to avoid seedy or crunchy items!
    You are not having a major organ removed just a couple of teeth.....nothing life changing.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    PS....avoid smoking or using straws. That mouth motion can suck out the ever so needed blood clots in those now empty sockets.
    Dry socket could occur and does not feel so good. NO STRAWS!
    You will be fine but do not count on surgery being a jumpstart for weight loss.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I lost nothing....I also had no pain and tried to eat chicken strips at applebees like 3 days after surgery and the first day or two my mom kept giving me giant bowls of egg salad (you know...tons of egg and mayo) in a bowl. I seriously could not eat egg salad for a good decade after that
  • lizzynose
    lizzynose Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost ten pounds after having all four of mine out but it all came back on when I started eating solids again. I couldn't eat properly for a week and felt nauseous because my mouth tasted like blood all the time! All I could stomach was cream of tomato soup and fromage frais yogurts. Anything with any bits in at all would get stuck in my stitches and was very unpleasant to clean.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I went down 5lbs when I had mine out years back, probably gained it back as I wasn't on any kind of tracking kick.