Did MFP calculate the right maintenance calories for you?

Options
Was wondering, for those on maintenance, if MFP had you spot on what your calorie allowance should be to maintain your weight? Or was it under or over?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,008 Member
    Options
    MFP is way way under. It says I should be at 1700 Net. I've been eating on average (according to my spreadsheet) at 2300 Net for a year and a half without gaining.

I guess I fidget way more than I think. :lol:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    It was significantly under for me as well. That said, it was perfectly fine as a place to start. #fidgeter4life
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I honestly haven't found it yet. I've been at "maintainance" since Sept. 25th, and since then, I've lost enough 8lbs. MFP says 1790. But for months after "switching" I couldn't get to 1790, so I kept losing. I find it very hard to stick to that. I'm usually either way under or over.

I'm thinking mine is closer to 2000, but honestly, I haven't been able to consistantly eat at 1 calorie goal every day since. For me, maintainance is weighing every day, recording my weight in Libra and if it stays in a 5-10lb range, I'm good. Sometimes I log and weigh my food, sometimes I instinctively eat. First, when I started in Sept. that range was 147-152. Then I lowered it 145-150. But I'm hanging out around 141, so I'm thinking at this point if the weight has a 14 in it...I'm good. You'll never been "ONE WEIGHT". It's going to go up and down...
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I can't use MFP as a neat system any more. My Fitbit is wacky, so causes me to gain then lose weight even though my net cals look spot on. I do still use it as a food log and just watch my gross cals.

I assume it is rightish about my sedentary maintenance cals, but I am never sedentary so have never tested it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    MFP's number was too low for me too. I think part of that is because I burn more calories in exercise than it gives me, since I do a lot of running on hills. I eat back all my exercise calories. There is also the age issue. Because I am old, I am given fewer calories. I think my metabolism is hotter than the usual 61 year old sedentary female because of the exercise afterburn. In any case, MFP said 1470, I aim at 1600 net, eat more than that at least 3 days a week, log loosely, and am maintaining my weight.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Never used MFP to compute my weight loss or maintenance cals.

I used the ave TDEE as measured by various online calculators, which were all HIGH, and then adjusted my intake by trial and error as needed to maintain my weight w/in a range acceptable to me.

When I started, the estimates ranged from 2200 to 2700 a day. Found that 1800-1900 net cals was actually the "right" number for me when I was just lifting on top of my "normal" activity and maintained at 158# (+/- 3#) for a year at this level.

However, now that I'm also rowing 10k meters and burning about 550 cals daily on top of lifting and other activities, I'm maintaining at 2200 gross and 1650 net cal a day at 158# (+/-3#).

Still trying to figure out how I can maintain the same weight on lower net cals but, I weigh myself and log all of my cals daily, and the scale doesn't lie.

At least it hasn't in the past, the only explanation would be an over estimate of cals burned rowing and esting too many of those cals back.

Not an issue since maintenance is my goal and I've been able to do that for over a year but might make a difference if I actually wanted to lose (or gain) weight again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    MFP, and typical TDEE calculators, were way too low. But I knew that would happen, since I lost weight way too fast on the calories they recommended for that, too. (Lost most of my weight eating calories MFP thought would make me maintain or even gain).

Therefore, I'd been working on a personalized maintenance estimate for a while (via data analysis) before I reached goal weight. Then I reverse dieted at the end just for more analysis fodder. ;)

MFP estimates pre-exercise calories for me - 5'5", 62 y/o, female, weight in 120s, sedentary outside of intentional exercise - somewhere in the 1500s, IIRC. It's actually in the low 2000s. Actual TDEE is mid-2000s.

Recommendation: Use your weight loss data from the last weeks of weight loss to estimate maintenance.

Food for thought:

https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Yes mine is spot on.

MFP tells me to maintain at 1710 and I eat 1710 on average (admittedly very roughly measured) and I maintain my weight.

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,829 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to get the hang of it. Honestly right after I started maintenance I thought it was absolutely wonderful, as I have said in several posts, but now that it has “set in” sort of speak I am struggling. Idk if you guys deal with this too, but there is a small percentage of me that misses eating whatever I wanted without any regard, just eating without the obsession of looking at the back and counting calories, it has definitely taken some of the joy out of eating. I never eat something without knowing the calories. I am proud of myself for the accomplishment of being the healthiest and the most fit I have ever been in my entire life, but now I’m struggling a little bit. I guess it is more of a realization, as I am in maintenance that this is how life is going to be from now on. Ok pity party over lol

yes - this. I have been in maintenance about 3 months now and just lately it has started to feel like I am still on a diet of sorts. I am not hungry or tired and am about at my TDEE (it's actually close to what MFP and Fitbit calculate I think) Anyway, just wanted to let you know you are not alone and your words resonate with how I have been feeling. I do think part of it tho is SAD - the weather has been miserable lately and I injured myself so no running endorphins and grey, cold, windy, drizzly days. I am going to chalk the feelings up to that vs the whole monitoring calories thing for a while... ;)
  • Armywife04_21
    Armywife04_21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to get the hang of it. Honestly right after I started maintenance I thought it was absolutely wonderful, as I have said in several posts, but now that it has “set in” sort of speak I am struggling. Idk if you guys deal with this too, but there is a small percentage of me that misses eating whatever I wanted without any regard, just eating without the obsession of looking at the back and counting calories, it has definitely taken some of the joy out of eating. I never eat something without knowing the calories. I am proud of myself for the accomplishment of being the healthiest and the most fit I have ever been in my entire life, but now I’m struggling a little bit. I guess it is more of a realization, as I am in maintenance that this is how life is going to be from now on. Ok pity party over lol

yes - this. I have been in maintenance about 3 months now and just lately it has started to feel like I am still on a diet of sorts. I am not hungry or tired and am about at my TDEE (it's actually close to what MFP and Fitbit calculate I think) Anyway, just wanted to let you know you are not alone and your words resonate with how I have been feeling. I do think part of it tho is SAD - the weather has been miserable lately and I injured myself so no running endorphins and grey, cold, windy, drizzly days. I am going to chalk the feelings up to that vs the whole monitoring calories thing for a while... ;)

I’m glad I’m not the only one!!!!
  • Armywife04_21
    Options
    My maintenance weight is 120lbs and MFP puts me on 1720 calories a day but I think it might be too low, I am now down to 118lbs, so we will see if it stabilizes soon.
  • Armywife04_21
    Options
    One more thought....I honestly don’t understand how maintenance works as a whole while eating a lot more calories than before. How can you still lose while eating at 1700 as if you were losing at 1500? What was the point in eating at 1500 all along? Idk, just a thought...
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    One more thought....I honestly don’t understand how maintenance works as a whole while eating a lot more calories than before. How can you still lose while eating at 1700 as if you were losing at 1500? What was the point in eating at 1500 all along? Idk, just a thought...

In maintenance you are not trying to lose weight, but rather maintain your weight. So you no longer have to eat at a deficit and can eat up to your TDEE. Calculating your TDEE is not a perfect science, however, as described above. So some people may still be eating in a deficit and lose weight, albeit not as fast as when they had a larger deficit.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,992 Member
    Options
    Mfp maintenance is way too low for me. It gives me 1430 sedentary and 1860 for active. I typically eat about 2100 calories per day. I think I am finally maintaining, but I have been trying to maintain for 17 months and have lost ~15 pounds during that time.