LuluLemon...worth the price?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never seen Lululemon stuff, let alone tried it on. I can't imagine it does anything to make it worth me paying $118 for it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    cgcampan wrote: »
    Heck no! I just dont feel that workout gear should be priced that high. I could literally buy like 7-8 leggings for the price on 1 lululemon. I buy my Tesla leggings from Amazon.com. They are so soft squat proof. A lot of the reviews on the leggings state that they are lululemom dupes. Here is the website for them if anyone wants to try a pair.

https://www.amazon.com/TM-FYP52-PBL_Medium-Tesla-High-Waist-Control-Hidden/dp/B076P8K3Q5/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514508106&sr=8-5&keywords=tesla+leggings

Thank me later. ;)

Thanks for posting this. I am going to try them. I will check back in with the comparison to the lululemon ones costing over $100 more.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    cgcampan wrote: »
    Heck no! I just dont feel that workout gear should be priced that high. I could literally buy like 7-8 leggings for the price on 1 lululemon. I buy my Tesla leggings from Amazon.com. They are so soft squat proof. A lot of the reviews on the leggings state that they are lululemom dupes. Here is the website for them if anyone wants to try a pair.

https://www.amazon.com/TM-FYP52-PBL_Medium-Tesla-High-Waist-Control-Hidden/dp/B076P8K3Q5/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514508106&sr=8-5&keywords=tesla+leggings

Thank me later. ;)

90 Degree by Reflex is another good one on Amazon. They're around $20 but often come with tags on them that say $60, $80, even $90+.
    I've had a few pairs for 3-4 years and pushed them to their limits size wise, they're still holding up well.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay $100 for a pair of pants.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I prefer cotton leggings, so most of the time I am wearing just black cotton leggings that are not even workout gear.
    Looking cute at the gym is not very high on my priority list, or name brand clothes for that matter. So I don't really spend much on gym clothes. I like nice shoes, and don't mind paying for them, but gym clothes? Nah..
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a couple Lululemon sweaters that were given to me as a gift, I don't like spending that kind of money on myself, oh I also have one of their bags that I like. For leggings, I usually get mine at Costco, they are good quality and warm enough for winter running.
  • fritch_gets_fit26
    fritch_gets_fit26 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Honestly I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on workout clothing...or any clothing honestly. But then again I am about as big of a bargain shopper as there is. I find/have found brand name, quality gear at TJ Maxx and Ross that have held up for years!
  • caitlinj406
    caitlinj406 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Most of the people I know with lululemon apparel do not own it to work out in (they're mostly teenagers/young adults). It's just another status symbol and is everyday wear for them. I'm not opposed to spending money on quality gear, I have a ridiculous amount of expensive hiking clothing, but it has to actually be worth it. I can't imagine spending that much money on leggings for the gym. If I was a trail runner and they worked great maybe, but not for lifting and running a few miles on a treadmill. I think the popularity of high end leggings is equivalent to expensive brand name jeans when I was a teen, for most people it's all about that label.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    The owner is an a-hole. So, I propose not buying them. Just like I don’t buy UA products either because the CEO is a douche. Yes, I know that UA owns this site.

If you're talking about Chip Wilson, he's the founder but no longer the owner. It's a publicly held company. Although Wilson still holds shares he isn't a majority holder, he has stepped down as CEO, and is no longer on the board. Not that his comments weren't outrageous and that it's valid to still not want to wear the brand.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The founder, Chip Wilson who has since stepped down but still profiting from Lulu Lemon. has made fat shaming remarks regarding overweight women. He limits the size of clothing for women but men can buy XXL size.

The leggings are made of the cheapest fabric available: polyester. There are definitely grades of polyester smiler to cotton but it is still very cheap fabric. The people who make these expensive leggings are not paid well. The Ceo has actually said they are providing jobs to people and that they like to work 16 hours a day.

"While my newest yoga pants may lack a logo or a clever name, they do give me something that is far more rewarding: the peace of mind of knowing they were manufactured in decent working conditions and enough money left over to pay for some yoga classes.

Keep your clique. I’m choosing to opt out of it.
    " https://www.elephantjournal.com/2013/11/the-real-reason-i-wont-buy-lululemon/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The owner is an a-hole. So, I propose not buying them. Just like I don’t buy UA products either because the CEO is a douche. Yes, I know that UA owns this site.

If you're talking about Chip Wilson, he's the founder but no longer the owner. It's a publicly held company. Although Wilson still holds shares he isn't a majority holder, he has stepped down as CEO, and is no longer on the board. Not that his comments weren't outrageous and that it's valid to still not want to wear the brand.

Yeah, but he’s still on the board, active, and has influence over the brand.

He is not on the board. He hasn't been since 2015. I think it is debatable how much influence he has. In 2016, for example, he asked to speak at the annual shareholder meeting and they refused his request which led to him making public statements critical of the company's direction.

I think it's perfectly fine to still not want to support a company due to the actions of a founder who still profits from the company (I don't buy LuluLemon myself and there is one other company I don't give money to due to a founder's public comments), just keeping it factual.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I can’t bring myself to pay that much for leggings. Victoria Secret works awesome for me, can still be pricey but when they are on sale I can get them for like 35 bucks!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot of money to send on tights or yoga pants when there are other options availa....

Wait.

Wasn't it Lululemon that produced the ultra sheer, see-thru yoga pants ??

I think every women should invest in a pair or two or Lululemon yoga pants. They are well worth the price.

;)

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I've never worn them myself so I can't vouch for quality but I won't pay that personally. I have tons of inexpensive Old Navy active wear that I've been wearing for years and years so I'll stick with that!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Absolutely not.
    1. I think they as over priced.
    2. I think any company that makes pants in limited sizes and says "some women just shouldn't wear them" can kiss my *kitten*.

I support clothing companies with positive messages. You want amazing leggings with an amazing message? Check out GRRRL clothing.

@JoRocka ✅ Awesome! post!

Message from the website of GRRRL clothing:

"At GRRRL we do things differently.

And that extends to the fact that we just don’t DO “sizes”.

We think it’s time to call *kitten* on the clothing industry. And their model photoshop. Their unrealistic body stereotypes. And making every woman feel like anything than an extra small is an abnormality.

We don’t put clothes for our fuller bodied sisters at the back of the store. Or fat shame our employees. Like other brands. We are grrrls. Loud. Can you hear us?

It might take you a minute to get used to the way we do things. But we hope you appreciate why we are doing it. And we are pretty confident that you will get a better fit. And a happier wear out of the process."

I call this Respect!!

LOL thank you- seriously- I've seen them drop athletes who body shame other athletes. They really do put their money where their mouth is. And I Have a lot of respect for a company that will do that.

Plus their pants are the bomb.
    And no- I currently make zero dollars repping them- I have no code- I just really love their pants.