Options
2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    My mind has been blown. I just Googled "turkey tail" and found out that it is a mushroom and not a part of the turkey I never knew existed.

You may be right, but I assumed dennisl31789, the OP, was talking about these:
    rt45jmp3xdlg.jpg

See, I that's what I expected to find when I looked it up! It makes sense as I was thinking about greens with ham. Now I'm hoping that @dennisl31789 comes back to clarify.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    lots of great ideas here - something that worked for me in the past when i wanted to broaden my horizons was basically pick a vegetable of the month - it was something seasonal - and i would try to make at least 1 dish a month with it (preferably 1 per week) - it really opened up my eyes
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    My mind has been blown. I just Googled "turkey tail" and found out that it is a mushroom and not a part of the turkey I never knew existed.

rt45jmp3xdlg.jpg

See, I that's what I expected to find when I looked it up! It makes sense as I was thinking about greens with ham. Now I'm hoping that @dennisl31789 comes back to clarify.

Yes, makes more sense to serve "greens" w/these rather than mushrooms.

Lots of meat, fat and "flavor" in those as compared w/chicken tails but I just include them for stock and generally do not eat them separately.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm quite lazy, so I keep several bags of frozen, pre-chopped veggies on hand. They work well in soups and sauces and I can throw a handful in when I want. Things like diced onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, etc. I also buy stir fry veggies and broccoli frozen. For fresh veggies, I tend to watch for sales or whatever's on markdown.
  • dennisl31789
    dennisl31789 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

rt45jmp3xdlg.jpg

Yes, it’s true. I used turkey tails to cook with greens. It adds more flavor in it. Besides, it’s better off than pork. Am I right?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

rt45jmp3xdlg.jpg

Yes, it’s true. I used turkey tails to cook with greens. It adds more flavor in it. Besides, it’s better off than pork. Am I right?

Pork, turkey, it's all good to me :)

I'm going to keep an eye out for turkey tails now. I don't believe I've ever seen them around here (Ohio.)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Countless veggies to choose from...depending on the stores near you.

Our favourites:
    When cooking South East Asian/Sichuan food: luffa, snow pea shoots, gai lan, yu choi, bok choi, water spinach (ong choi), amaranth leaves, methi, jackfruit, edamame, green jackfruit, lotus root, pumpkin etc

All the wonderful root veggies - yam, sweet potato, taro, cassava...colourful carrots or nantes
    So many different squashes and eggplants
    So many different beans and legumes
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    ...I'm going to keep an eye out for turkey tails now. I don't believe I've ever seen them around here (Ohio.)
    I expect any Ohio area with a significant urban population will have stores that sell ingredients commonly used in "soul food." Useful to be familiar with any number of such ethnic resources, not only for Soul but Asian, Mexican/Latin, Kosher, Halal (Middle Eastern), etc.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options

I WISH I could find these to cook with. I understand they are super immune boosting, and especially good for women who've had breast cancer. I can only find them in dried (supplement form) but would love to cook with them if available somewhere.

As far as the regular turkey tails (from a turkey) super yummy in a beans and greens soup with whatever other veggies you have on hand.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Most of the veggies I eat have already been listed but one that I found I love is radishes! I used to eat them raw or in salads all the time but roasting them with a bit of olive oil, salt/pepper mellows the flavour and they remind me of brussel sprouts (which I love).

I roast pretty much any veggie (eggplant, squash, carrots, parsnips, broccoli, etc) and chop them up to add to soups. Zuchinni is nice either chopped up in spaghetti sauce or made into pizza boats.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I love so many veggies- some of my favs include mushrooms, onion, peppers,green beans green peas, white red and golden russet potatoes,field peas, lima beans, okra and tomatoes. the list goes on and on....
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    My favourites for 'non salad' veggies would be asparagus, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, carrots, peppers, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, onions and winter squashes
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    All of my favorites have been mentioned here already. I thought I'd bring up something my husband and kids love that I cook often (they hate most veggies except salad). It's more a prep method than anything else.

Stewed green beans with cherry tomatoes. It's really tasty.

In a big skillet, heat a bit of olive oil (I use 2 tsp to a tablespoon). Add in some chopped garlic. Throw in a pound of trimmed and chopped green beans and 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes, all rinsed with some of the water still clinging to them. Add salt and pepper. Add lid. Saute for 15 -20 minutes, stirring every now and then until the tomatoes are collapsed and the green beans are tender. Remove lid, raise heat, and let some liquid evaporate to caramelize the juices a bit.

Nom.

Roasting cubed eggplant (salt and let sit, rinse and drain to dry) with cherry tomatoes is also tasty.

Can you tell I have a thing for cherry tomatoes?