48 and trying to Loss weight. Support

Options
17Olson
17Olson Posts: 12 Member
I lost about 30 some pound 5 years ago. But a lot has happened. Basically after I found out I’m no longer able to run due to knee issues. So needing to get back into exercising again

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the easiest way to lose weight, especially if exercise is a challenge. Set up your profile appropriately and eat the amount of calories it gives you - be patient and consistent, and you'll be successful in time. :) Check out the "stickied" threads at the top of the various forum sections for detailed help and advice.

Age has nothing to do with it. I'm 52 and have lost 70lbs so far, with very little exercise, and many other people in their 40s, 50s and beyond have been very successful. You've got this!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm 70 it's still possible even at this age it may take longer but easy does it and you can get where you want to be. Good luck
  • frontierfitness
    frontierfitness Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    17olson you can do this! I lost alot of weight in my late 20s and I am back on the wagon. I'm 43 and have been gaining consistently. I'm going to be a first time grandma in May and want to be able to keep up with my grandson. I'm interested in building my social network here and looking for support as well as being a cheerleader! Anyone interested in becoming friends? Can I send ya'll a request? :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    17olson I'm 49 with bad knees - no acl in one and the other tracks badly. I started out doing stationary bike and it was much easier on my knees, it may be different for you but you could try it.

@gcibsthom - "recovering from a gunshot wound to the chest" is currently tied for best excuse not to work out I've heard on MFP, alongside "had to run from lions" (member living in Africa). Glad you're still with us!
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I too have difficulty running due to bad knees. I have found the elliptical to be a great way to get a great cardio workout with low impact to the knees. Schwinn makes some great ellipticals. I bought mine from Walmart.com about three years ago for $299, and it's still kicking... very smooth and super quiet too.

Good luck on your journey.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    there's a lot of ways to modify. My issue that I have is that after I had my first I had a lot of issues related to pelvic floor damage and stress. I'm only 29 and if I ignore this and do a bunch of jumping type things (running, jumping jacks, etc) i could need surgery some day....so I just change what I do. When a workout says jumping jacks for example I do this like light "boxer shuffle" and I move my arms as if I was doing jumping jacks. If there's running in place I march in place, or do knee lifts, or something. regular squats hurt my knees...but sumo squats, side lunges, resistance band work don't. The MOST important part is that you keep moving and keep going.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Can you get a physical therapy (PT) referral from your doctor, based on your bad knees? Those folks can be great at assessing conditions, prescribing remedial exercises (if remediation is possible), correcting daily movement patterns to reduce pain, and helping identify regular exercise forms that are compatible with limitations.

Also, it's important to have your specific condition diagnosed. A friend and I both have "bad knees", but the very same orthopedic doctor gave us very different treatments, and PT interventions were dramatically different, because we have different conditions.

I have a torn knee meniscus and some arthritis. PT helped me modify my gait and learn how to navigate stairs in ways that reduced discomfort/strain, even though PT can't cure my specific conditions. (I want to defer surgery as long as possible).

I've had bad knees for a long time. Once I added the torn meniscus (which became an acute problem via a short run/jog), I experimented with what hurt and didn't. I found that impact and torque were problems, but straight hinge-type movements were manageable.

This meant running, jogging, or even regular high volume walking were out (impact), as were things like aerobic dance or martial arts (torque) that I'd previously done.

I was still able to row (boat and machine), bike, and spin (all knee-intense, but straight hinge movements). I can weight train but I need to minimize/modify things like squats and Iunges (not too many, not too heavy, not too deep). Mostly upper body exercise like canoeing and kayaking are obviously OK still, though I don't do them as often.

I did and do ice the knee with the torn meniscus after every serious lower-body workout.

Your exact can/can't movements may well be different from mine, but maybe that same kind of cautiously-experimental approach can work, aided by physical therapist consultation and advice. (I still do exercises PT gave me, which in my case mostly involve hip mobility.)

One other thing: Getting to a healthy weight, which was entirely a matter of eating changes for me (I was already active), made a huge improvement for me.

I lost 50+ pounds. I went from routine discomfort and regular episodes of pain (sometimes enough to interfere with sleep), to occasional discomfort and rare episodes of pain (usually caused by me doing something stupid ;) ). I can't prove it, but I believe that part of the reduced discomfort is from eliminating the systemic inflammation that came along with significant excess weight.

Oops, editing to add: I'm 62. Rower since 46, lost weight at 59-60, now maintaining. :)