PhD is killing me

I've gathered all the perfect excuses: my PhD is very challenging, I don't have a regular studying/working schedule, my day is filled with classes in the mornings and teaching in the evenings, a recent sciatic pain prevents me from exercising (I used to be in a running club). Plus suddenly a more sedentary life in a foreign country, a chaotic huge city full of junk food: one year into my PhD and I've put on almost 8lbs. Not a lot, I know, but it's a scary tendency if I think of all the remaining years ahead of me.

I know some people in my department claiming that, for them, working out has actually improved their ability to focus, even if done at (for me crazy) hours like 7 am. I'm a morning person but I've never managed to exercise in the early morning, I can barely drag myself to the kitchen with half open eyes regardless of the amount of sleep I got. And then I'm at my desk most of the day, with restless legs, feeling nervous. Tried to take long walks, but my back pain immediately kicked in. I've got another doctor appointment scheduled for Jan because I really want to return to my (albeit very moderate) exercising routine.

Please don't tell me I'm the only grad student in this (pretty awful) situation.

Replies

• suerlewis2
    suerlewis2 Posts: 126 Member
    The schedule sounds pretty regular to me - classes in the morning and teaching in the evenings. Perhaps something like steam or sauna in the evenings after teaching would improve your pain and help you sleep better? With possible progression to light exercise? You might even feel better in the mornings.

Please remember to stand up and stretch at intervals during your studies. Even the smallest amount of movement will help with sciatic problems. Have a few mouthfuls of water every time you stand up.

I hope you find a way to improve things soon, don't give up.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Try yoga for your back--if your doctor approves. It's something you can do at home, but it's better to start with a class. Since it's popular all over the world, you can hopefully find something where you are. If not, there are youtube videos. Start with the simple stuff. I do Yogaflex and the instructor focuses on back and shoulder pain.
  • ShellLilacS
    ShellLilacS Posts: 1 Member
    I definitely know how you feel. I pretty much added a number to my size each your if my 4 year degree. Now it’s taking me a long time to lose it again! (Starting fresh here). I look back at that intense study period (thesis) and wonder why I just didn’t find the time? I think I was very bogged down with my study and found it very hard to think of applying myself to anything else. If you can find a way to make any change for the better you won’t regret it. Just a little walk is better than no walk and swapping out some food options might help. Find nice ways to reward yourself.