Looking for some Aerialist/Acrobatic/Calisthenic type friends

Options
Hello fit people

I was wondering if there are any circus/aerialist people hanging out on the MFP forums. I am always in need of more motivation to keep up the training when progress is so slow, so would love more like minded friends who understand man hands, bruises in dubious areas and being obsessed with being upsidedown..

About me. I dabble in a few aerial arts including Lyra (aerial hoop), Static Trapeze, Olympic RIngs Aerial Hammock and Handstands and Acrobatics. I am not particularly great at these things as I am old, kind of inflexible and don't have a background in dance or gymnastics. But despite these drawbacks I love it and try to apply the 10,000 hour rule as I figure time is going to pass anyway so I may as well spend time trying to develop the skills so I never have regrets about things I didn't try.

So if that sounds like a fitness person you would like to have on your newsfeed, please send me a FR. Otherwise just post on this thread so people know there is more to fitness life than lifting heavy, running and obsessing about what the calorie burn of movement is.

Replies

• TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Wow. I feel so alone. I knew my fitness interests where slightly out of the norm, but I never realised until today how outside the norm I am.

Oh well - such is life I guess.

I shall console myself by posting pictures of fun times upsidedown to overcome my feelings of fitness rejection.....

zhl2ydi30bvs.jpg

kowr8pm37gxw.jpg

k3bvxgupkhm7.jpg

y8ozz7fb3p16.png

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yo! Pole over here! I've just had my daughter so on a break at the moment , looking forward to using handstand February to help build up my upper body strength again! X
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Hooray. No so alone after all.

I like pole as well - i am keen try out chinese pole this year as the guys at circus school do amazing tricks and I get envious and want to play as well. Handstand February sounds awesome - that is definitely a goal for this year to do a freestanding handstand for a minute and nail one handed handstands. So many goals - so little time.
  • ARGriffy
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I managed to go from a very dodgy handstand on Feb 1st to a very strong one handed by the end of Feb!

[post edited by mods - please do not post private contact details or social media contact info - share via private messaging]
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Thanks, will check you out. I love having nice pictures of aerials and acrobatics on my insta feed. :)

I only started working on my handstands this August and I have made awesome progress since then. The years of working on pullups and overhead presses are finally paying off. Hooray.

6y3ksc3ok728.jpg

• TiisTitanium
    Options
    Bumping this just in case there is anyone else around into this type of fitness - or even thinking about trying this out in 2018 (if you do I can promise you won't regret it)

• grayskymorning
    grayskymorning Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have the weakest muscles on the planet but this sounds awesome. Hi!
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    We should start a handstand February thread...ya know...in February!
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    @ARGriffy - sounds like a plan. #upsidedowneveryday. Your updated profile pic looks awesome :)

@grayskymorning - it is a great way to make your muscles strong and get a rockin' body while having fun and making lots of new friends. The community in the aerial arts are incredible. The only downside is that is highly addictive once you get started and you just want to do more and more.
  • ARGriffy
    edited January 2018
    Options
    AuisGold1 wrote: »
    @ARGriffy - sounds like a plan. #upsidedowneveryday. Your updated profile pic looks awesome :)

@grayskymorning - it is a great way to make your muscles strong and get a rockin' body while having fun and making lots of new friends. The community in the aerial arts are incredible. The only downside is that is highly addictive once you get started and you just want to do more and more.

@AuisGold1 that pic is from the final day of handstand February last year, the first day was the first handstand i had done since breaking my arm a few months before so the progression was awesome! Looking forward to it again doing the same this year!
  • jen29nmark6
    jen29nmark6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, just found this thread, I am new to MFP, and had to search for 'circus' because I am obsessed with this kind of training. I am not (yet) very good at it, or very strong, but I am working hard at improving. I take 2 aerial classes a week as well as a class called 'circus-fit', which is essentially a boot camp style class, using circus apparatus (lyra, silks, straps). Loved reading the posts above, and am thinking that I might just try a 'Handstand February'...as February starts tomorrow, it seems like a sign :smile:
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Bumping this just in case there are any circus/aerial people new to MFP who are looking for like minded people :)

• elihef
    elihef Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread! I've been lurking for a bit, but this made me excited :) I started aerial silks 2 months ago and I'm completely hooked. I just started taking 2 classes a week and may bump it to 3 after this session.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    While I'm a little more ground based I'm going on my 3rd month of parallette work and loving it. I do have a set of rings but I figured one thing at a time.

While I most aerial stuff doesn't hold a lot of interest for me I have alway wanted to try pole work. It has always looked like one hell of a workout and if there is one thing that parallettes has taught me so far body control while fighting gravity is a beast.