The Dreaded Plateau Question.

Options
I think i am reaching a plateau. I have weighted the same 217.3 to 218.3 for two weeks now. I feel like I am exercising my bum off and its not helping. Because of this, I battle with myself on binge eating. ex. Why not have two cookies its not like your loosing anything, ect ect. How can I combat this?? I have read the previous plateau posts but I am not sure how to implement the “Eat More” to break the plateau as I do not want to eat the wrong things. I feel that I am still in that weight range where it is easy to get the 8 lbs back on

Replies

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I think i am reaching a plateau. I have weighted the same 217.3 to 218.3 for two weeks now. I feel like I am exercising my bum off and its not helping. Because of this, I battle with myself on binge eating. ex. Why not have two cookies its not like your loosing anything, ect ect. How can I combat this?? I have read the previous plateau posts but I am not sure how to implement the “Eat More” to break the plateau as I do not want to eat the wrong things. I feel that I am still in that weight range where it is easy to get the 8 lbs back on

If you take in less calories that you use up each day, the weight has to come off, it may slow down, you may not shift a pound for a few weeks, but in the end the weight has to go lower because you are in deficit of your calories.

Be careful to record everything you eat and drink too, some people consciously or unconsciously omit things from their record, all very well but it has still been taken in and by not recording it, it won't make those calories "disappear".

As somebody else stated on a different thread, many people underestimate the calories they put into the food diary and overestimate the calories used on their exercise - doing this completely mucks up the calories in -v- calories out and can sabotage your weight loss programme.
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When you exercise are you doing the same things each day? Mixing up what you are doing (treadmill one day, elliptical another and maybe a class a different day) and adding weight training may help. I have also read that varying your calorie intake from day to day is a great way to keep your body guessing.
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I hit a small plateau a few weeks ago, it almost derailed my whole plan! What I discovered was I had to try a few things to see what worked best for me. I changed up my workout routine at the gym and I also changed the amount of calories I was eating. I know it can be frustrating, I think we have all been there. It is important to just keep trying things until you find what works for YOU best.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    have you tried measuring??? i noticed that sometimes you arent losing weight but you have shred an inch or so which is just as important......also....cardio solves many problems and answers many questions...sometimes you have to change up your routine.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I’ve gotten mixed reactions to my method so I’m hesitating before I post this. I weigh in every Monday. If I have a good weigh in I will cut myself some slack with my calories on Monday and Tuesday. I don’t mean that I eat everything in sight, but if I want dessert I eat it. I normally go over about 200 to 400 calories those days and I don’t workout at much. I will go for a walk after dinner, but I don’t jog or use any of my workout DVD’s. Then Wednesday through Sunday I make sure not to go over my calories and workout every day. I usually eat all my regular calories and about 1/2 of my exercise calories. For some reason giving my body a bit of a break has helped me avoid a plateau - knock on wood!!!!

I know what I do may not work for everyone, but I figured I’d share. Just don’t give up – best of luck!!!
  • Koshie
    Koshie Posts: 61
    Options
    When you exercise are you doing the same things each day? Mixing up what you are doing (treadmill one day, elliptical another and maybe a class a different day) and adding weight training may help. I have also read that varying your calorie intake from day to day is a great way to keep your body guessing.

No I mix it up for example, Tuesday is swim class weds is Zumba Thursday is Dance and Friday Kickboxing and Sat Sunday is treadmill or a day off
  • Koshie
    Koshie Posts: 61
    Options
    have you tried measuring??? i noticed that sometimes you arent losing weight but you have shred an inch or so which is just as important......also....cardio solves many problems and answers many questions...sometimes you have to change up your routine.

Yes I was measured on Thursday I didnt loose any inches but gained inches in my arms and thieghs do to mussle.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I’ve gotten mixed reactions to my method so I’m hesitating before I post this. I weigh in every Monday. If I have a good weigh in I will cut myself some slack with my calories on Monday and Tuesday. I don’t mean that I eat everything in sight, but if I want dessert I eat it. I normally go over about 200 to 400 calories those days and I don’t workout at much. I will go for a walk after dinner, but I don’t jog or use any of my workout DVD’s. Then Wednesday through Sunday I make sure not to go over my calories and workout every day. I usually eat all my regular calories and about 1/2 of my exercise calories. For some reason giving my body a bit of a break has helped me avoid a plateau - knock on wood!!!!

I know what I do may not work for everyone, but I figured I’d share. Just don’t give up – best of luck!!!

Pah! Forget about negative feedback re your methods, they definitely work for you and that's all that matters to be honest. You probably found your secret to successful weightloss for yourself and that is nothing but good!

Hats off to you :drinker: