Protein Questions

Options
Hello all. I am needing a bit of help. I have NEVER been much of a meat eater but have found other ways to incorporate protein into my diet so no biggie, however I am now taking a different medication. (Side Note: I was incorrectly diagnosed 17 years ago and was placed on medication that caused weight gain. Now I have been correctly diagnosed and on a completely different medication which causes weight loss)

My new medication has changed a lot of my tastes and my appetite. I would literally live off of chicken, turkey, fish etc. but now, the smell of chicken alone makes me ill. I have found I do not crave sweets anymore, which is awesome, and a lot of other tastes have changed.

I would like to stick to more of the lean proteins but am having a really hard time figuring out what to eat! Not a lot of foods sound appealing to me anymore but I make myself eat to maintain and try to follow a healthy diet but I am a little worried that I am not getting enough of my protein and iron. I am anemic so I take an iron supplement each morning along with B12, claritin for allergies and my regular 1 pill. I cannot take a calcium & magnesium supplement because it interacts with my medication.

Would it be better to take a multivitamin? Some days I need to take my iron twice (once in the morning, once in the late afternoon) but usually only take it 1 time in the morning.
So I am a little lost as to what to do. I am not used to this and am trying very hard to figure it out.

I am not a fan of red meat, never have been, but last night I had a small (eye of round) steak and it actually tasted really good which was weird. I want to stay away from TOO MUCH red meat but will still keep it in my diet occasionally.

Any tips, advice, direction would be MORE than appreciated. I want and need to be healthy for my children as I am a single mom and they rely on me and me alone.

Thank you in advance!!
B.

Replies

• Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of protein powder. There's no way I can stay in my goals and hit my goal level of protein without a couple scoops of the magical stuff. I'd recommend going to a vitamin store where they usually have single serve packets for you to try different types. Find one you like, get a blender, and experiment with additions. I like vanilla with almond milk, and various berries thrown in.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    I'd say to keep tracking your food, take your multivitamin if you want and don't over-think this. You can Google "protein" sources. Think dairy, beans, whole grains, seafood. I have Greek yogurt every day. 12g protein. Cottage cheese is good, too.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I’d be careful with calcium and magnesium in multivitamins if you can’t take them separately too. I struggle with eating enough protein too so i use protein powder. Maybe try finding different ways of preparing meat like make a chili or soup or stew instead of just a big hunk of meat.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Can you eat tofu? Lentils? Beans? Dairy? Maybe look for non-meat sources of protein if they sound appealing.
  • bclark232
    bclark232 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL! I will definitely check into protein powder. I try to eat beans and dairy as well and even have the PB2 dry peanut butter powder that I use. I may look up some new recipes for dinners as well as try a few smoothie recipes. Thank you for your tips :)
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bclark232 wrote: »
    Thank you ALL! I will definitely check into protein powder. I try to eat beans and dairy as well and even have the PB2 dry peanut butter powder that I use. I may look up some new recipes for dinners as well as try a few smoothie recipes. Thank you for your tips :)
    Guidelines I’ve read say anywhere from 0.4-0.5 grams of protein per 1 pound of body weight. I track my MFP macros and only add protein powder to reach my goal if I fall short with food. I’m 65 and lift weights so I am not wanting muscle mass loss during my weight loss program. I use Gold Standard Whey blended with a cup of milk.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Talk to your health care provider on vitamin supplementation.
    I eat very little meat, so I drink protien shakes a few times a day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,145 Member
    Options
    This is my very favorite thread on MFP for questions like yours.. While it's not vegetarian-focused at all, it was a huge help to me in identifying additional sources of protein

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    Dairy has a lot of protein (milk, cheese, yogurt) peanut butter, chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans (good for iron too), nuts, eggs, tuna, tvp (vegetarian meat substitute if you can't have too much meat)